Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Running a separate wire for grounding

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 9:24:40 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 7:42:34 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Although I do not understand the reasoning for this code rule, I always
understood that if you have the old 2 prong outlets, fed from old cable,
which does not have a ground wire, that you can NOT run a single green
wire from the breaker box ground buss, to the ourlet(s), to ground them.
Yet, I saw someone suggest doing this on a blog. Of course blogs are
like this newsgroup, and are not always good information.

As I said, I think this rule is sort of senseless, because as long as
the added wire was of the same gauge, connected to the ground buss in
the panel, it would make safer wiring. Of course replacing the old cable
is the preferred method, that is not always possible without ripping a
house apart.

Just wondering if anyone has any further information about doing this?
Is this ever allowed for any reasons?

Why do you think it is not allowed by code?

As far as I know, and this is as of 2013, when I asked a similar question,
a separate ground was allowed to be run to a junction box to supply a
ground that didn't exist, as opposed to running a new length of grounded
Romex.

Please cite the section of code that doesn't allow it.

+1