Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding grounded outlets

I want to tie into existing circuit for some additional grounded outlets in my basement. The existing circuit serves a half dozen or so single-bulb light fixtures. I've switched out one of those from light to three-prong receptical and have tested and determined that the box is grounded.

Question: If I run 14-2 wire from that box through metal conduit to a new metal outlet box will the new recepticals also be grounded or do I need to run a ground wire from the existing box to the new receptical?

Thanks!

Larry
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/13/16 6:24 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I want to tie into existing circuit for some additional grounded outlets in my basement. The existing circuit serves a half dozen or so single-bulb light fixtures. I've switched out one of those from light to three-prong receptical and have tested and determined that the box is grounded.

Question: If I run 14-2 wire from that box through metal conduit to a new metal outlet box will the new recepticals also be grounded or do I need to run a ground wire from the existing box to the new receptical?

Thanks!

Larry

Standard "Romex" NM-B cable includes a ground wire, usually described
as "14-2 w/ground"

See
http://www.southwire.com/ProductCata...=prodcatsheet6
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 15:24:36 -0800 (PST), "Gramps' shop"
wrote:

I want to tie into existing circuit for some additional grounded outlets in my basement. The existing circuit serves a half dozen or so single-bulb light fixtures. I've switched out one of those from light to three-prong receptical and have tested and determined that the box is grounded.

Question: If I run 14-2 wire from that box through metal conduit to a new metal outlet box will the new recepticals also be grounded or do I need to run a ground wire from the existing box to the new receptical?

Thanks!

Larry

If the conduit is properly installed (all the joints are tight) it is
certainly a legal grounding conductor.
A wire in the pipe is usually considered better but not required.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If I run 14-2 wire from that box through metal conduit to a new metal outlet

Good luck finding romex without a ground wire, unless you find some
antique cloth covered romex from the 1950s. or early 60s at an auction.
And if you're using metallic conduit, you can just run single coated
wires thru it, and the conduit is the ground as long as it's applied
properly.