Posted to alt.home.repair

Default does old heating fuel oil go bad?

I have access to #2 fuel oil that has been sitting in a tank for a couple of years. Can I use it in my oil burner/furnace? Will it burn properly? Do I have to filter it?
Thanks,
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair

#2 (diesel or fuel oil) can grow a fungus if it does not carry the
right additive package.

I've never heard of that, but I bet it will still burn just fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 5:27:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have access to #2 fuel oil that has been sitting in a tank for a couple of years. Can I use it in my oil burner/furnace? Will it burn properly? Do I have to filter it?
Thanks,
Tony

Thanks for the info. Looks like it should be fine as long as I don't dredge-up the bottom muck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 5:27:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have access to #2 fuel oil that has been sitting in a tank for a couple of years. Can I use it in my oil burner/furnace? Will it burn properly? Do I have to filter it?
Thanks,
Tony

....and of course change filters & nozzles.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 3:59:34 PM UTC-6, Mike Duffy wrote:

I know I can't use it for any type of engine, nor in the oil furnace. What
I was wondering is if anyone can think of a good use,

Works as good as Round-up for edging your fence, if you don't get caught.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have access to #2 fuel oil that has been sitting in a tank for a couple
of years. Can I use it in my oil burner/furnace? Will it burn properly?
Do I have to filter it?
Thanks,
Tony

If it needs anything, some type 1 kerosene might loosen it up. A little
alcohol is used to condition kerosene. Some burners do either type 1 or 2.

Greg