Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Diesel Fuel in Heating Oil Furnace

Is there any reason not to put #2 diesel fuel in a heating oil furnace
for someone who has locked in a very high heating oil price with his
provider? Could pay a gas station ab out $3.50/gal versus a locked in
price over $4.50 (I stupidly locked in in July)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Is there any reason not to put #2 diesel fuel in a heating oil furnace
for someone who has locked in a very high heating oil price with his
provider? Could pay a gas station ab out $3.50/gal versus a locked in
price over $4.50 (I stupidly locked in in July)

Great idea! I don't see why not, it's the same fuel, one has die, one
doesn't. Don't feel bad, your not the only one. I'm at 4.69, did mine 3rd
week in July.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Is there any reason not to put #2 diesel fuel in a heating oil furnace
for someone who has locked in a very high heating oil price with his
provider? Could pay a gas station ab out $3.50/gal versus a locked in
price over $4.50 (I stupidly locked in in July)

Diesel has some additives that #2 does not have but it should burn OK. In
parts of Europe, the cost is the same for diesel and #2 oil and they buy
diesel all the time.. Rather than carry home hundreds of gallons, consider
having a different oil company do a delivery or two.

I read that some dealers are letting people out of the lock if they pay a
penalty since the dealer is also locked in to his supplier.

I know someone that is locked in at $4.59.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

wrote in message
Is there any reason not to put #2 diesel fuel in a heating oil furnace
for someone who has locked in a very high heating oil price with his
provider? Could pay a gas station ab out $3.50/gal versus a locked in
price over $4.50 (I stupidly locked in in July)

Diesel has some additives that #2 does not have but it should burn OK. In
parts of Europe, the cost is the same for diesel and #2 oil and they buy
diesel all the time.. Rather than carry home hundreds of gallons, consider
having a different oil company do a delivery or two.

I read that some dealers are letting people out of the lock if they pay a
penalty since the dealer is also locked in to his supplier.

I know someone that is locked in at $4.59.

Folks around here (Maine) that are locked in at the higher prices are buying
from other smaller Oil companies and paying cash thus getting a discount as
well..I read an artical in the paper about nobody ordering oil through the
contract price and the oil companies being stuck with the useless contracts.
The guys that pre-paid ARE SCREWED......

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brian V wrote:

wrote in message
Is there any reason not to put #2 diesel fuel in a heating oil furnace
for someone who has locked in a very high heating oil price with his
provider? Could pay a gas station ab out $3.50/gal versus a locked in
price over $4.50 (I stupidly locked in in July)

Great idea! I don't see why not, it's the same fuel, one has die, one
doesn't. Don't feel bad, your not the only one. I'm at 4.69, did mine
3rd week in July.....

Die? Dead fuel? I hope you meant "dye"? Well, Halloween
is close. *snicker*

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
Is there any reason not to put #2 diesel fuel in a heating oil furnace
for someone who has locked in a very high heating oil price with his
provider? Could pay a gas station ab out $3.50/gal versus a locked in
price over $4.50 (I stupidly locked in in July)

Diesel has some additives that #2 does not have but it should burn OK. In
parts of Europe, the cost is the same for diesel and #2 oil and they buy
diesel all the time.. Rather than carry home hundreds of gallons, consider
having a different oil company do a delivery or two.

I read that some dealers are letting people out of the lock if they pay a
penalty since the dealer is also locked in to his supplier.

I know someone that is locked in at $4.59.

When heating oil is cheaper than diesel, sneaky
truck driver will run their trucks on it. That's
the reason for the red dye in the diesel fuel.
When The DOT inspects a truck, the inspector may
look at the color of the fuel to determine if the
trucker is trying to avoid the over the road fuel
taxes.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

When heating oil is cheaper than diesel, sneaky
truck driver will run their trucks on it. That's
the reason for the red dye in the diesel fuel.
When The DOT inspects a truck, the inspector may
look at the color of the fuel to determine if the
trucker is trying to avoid the over the road fuel
taxes.

TDD

Opposite. The heating oil is dyed. My delivery slip reads:
Dyed unmarked heating oil: not for use in highway or non-highway, locomotive
or marine engines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

die: cease to live
dye: coloring agent used to change the color of a product

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Brian V" wrote in message

Great idea! I don't see why not, it's the same fuel, one has die, one
doesn't. Don't feel bad, your not the only one. I'm at 4.69, did mine 3rd
week in July.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

As I understand it (not being a truck driver) the red dye is in the heating
oil. I've bought red kerosene, before.

Anyhow, diesel fuel should work just fine in a home heating plant. I've put
diesel fuel in a friend's heating oil tank when he ran out.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

When heating oil is cheaper than diesel, sneaky
truck driver will run their trucks on it. That's
the reason for the red dye in the diesel fuel.
When The DOT inspects a truck, the inspector may
look at the color of the fuel to determine if the
trucker is trying to avoid the over the road fuel
taxes.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Most folks own their own fuel tank. So, it seems possible to get a different
supplier to deliver fuel to the tank. And you're correct, that would avoid
the road fuel taxes. What is a "road fue"?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Boden" wrote in message
You can do this but unless you have prepaid why not just by on the open
market at today's prices. I just bought 1000 gallons at 2.799/gal. Why
pay the tax on road fue?

Posted to alt.home.repair

any dye in a truck tank and it's a violation. Road taxed fuel is near clear
or a slight yellow/green tint.

"Claude Hopper" wrote in message

What if you add more colors and make it black?

--
Claude Hopper

? ? ¥

Posted to alt.home.repair

tell the airlines that.

ha ha ha is what they'd say. we wish..

"Claude Hopper" wrote in message

I wouldn't lock in a price unless it dropped with the price. Locking in
to me is to prevent price increases not price decreases. If the price
drops below the lock in price there is no reason at all they can't give
you the lower price unless they are flat out criminals.

--
Claude Hopper

? ? ¥

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
die: cease to live
dye: coloring agent used to change the color of a product

Hmmm,
There is another die = mould
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

This subject has been discussed ad nausium, but usually the other way, using
fuel oil in diesel engines. To recap, I contacted a number of oil companies
regarding this, and according to what they say -- it will vary by locality.
In some areas, mostly rural where there is a low density of buildings, the
furnace oil "may" be identical to diesel fuel, in populated areas, where
they can afford separate supply lines, there is a major difference between
diesel and heating oil. Mostly the diesel is high quality oil with additives
to ensure that the engine will run properly. In these areas the heating oil
can be any old crap (my words) that meets the minimum specifications and
will burn in a furnace.

The summary, diesel oil will work fine in your oil furnace, but in most
cases it will cost more because it is a premium product. In your case it may
be cheaper.

wrote in message
Is there any reason not to put #2 diesel fuel in a heating oil furnace
for someone who has locked in a very high heating oil price with his
provider? Could pay a gas station ab out $3.50/gal versus a locked in
price over $4.50 (I stupidly locked in in July)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
When heating oil is cheaper than diesel, sneaky
truck driver will run their trucks on it. That's
the reason for the red dye in the diesel fuel.
When The DOT inspects a truck, the inspector may
look at the color of the fuel to determine if the
trucker is trying to avoid the over the road fuel
taxes.

TDD

Opposite. The heating oil is dyed. My delivery slip reads:
Dyed unmarked heating oil: not for use in highway or non-highway, locomotive
or marine engines.

Dang, did I get it backwards?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/30/2008 11:25 AM Tony Hwang said the following:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
die: cease to live
dye: coloring agent used to change the color of a product

Hmmm,
There is another die = mould

...and the feminine form of the German article for 'The'

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

Claude Hopper wrote in
:

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message

m...
[...]

Little Marvel Mystery Oil huh? :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

..Did you, yes

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Dang, did I get it backwards?

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
.Did you, yes

Dog Gonnit! Sometimes I'm lisdexic.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 4:05*pm, willshak wrote:
on 10/30/2008 11:25 AM Tony Hwang said the following: Stormin Mormon wrote:
die: cease to live
dye: coloring agent used to change the color of a product

Hmmm,
There is another die = mould

..and the feminine form of the German article for 'The'

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Is there no subject that can't be subverted to sex?

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Boden" wrote in message
You can do this but unless you have prepaid why not just by on the open
market at today's prices. I just bought 1000 gallons at 2.799/gal. Why
pay the tax on road fue?

How do you do this? Is there a web site? I assume they deliver. I've
always just called my local oil company, but I suspect I'm paying too much
and I have no way of tracking the price, other than call them up and ask
(and they seem somewhat reluctant to give the price out). Already bought my
heating oil (at just about the worst time) but am now thinking a couple
hundred gallons of kerosene wouldn't be a bad buy now.

Thanks

Dan

diesel fuel in a home fuel oil furnace? [email protected] Home Repair 45 November 24th 19 02:46 AM
diesel fuel in a home fuel oil furnace? lp13-30 Home Repair 20 December 23rd 17 06:52 AM
Diesel Fuel nick hull Metalworking 6 August 24th 08 09:35 AM
Diesel Fuel Gerald Miller Metalworking 1 August 22nd 08 02:04 PM
Diesel fuel smell on clothes Mike S. Home Repair 13 December 15th 06 04:36 PM