DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   does old heating fuel oil go bad? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/581045-does-old-heating-fuel-oil-go-bad.html)

[email protected] November 7th 16 10:27 PM

does old heating fuel oil go bad?

I have access to #2 fuel oil that has been sitting in a tank for a couple of years. Can I use it in my oil burner/furnace? Will it burn properly? Do I have to filter it?
Thanks,
Tony

notbob November 7th 16 10:32 PM

On 2016-11-07, wrote:

I have access to #2 fuel oil that has been sitting in a tank for a
couple of years. Can I use it in my oil burner/furnace? Will it burn
properly? Do I have to filter it?

I would. I'd also use it.

Not exactly high grade gasoline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_oil

nb

[email protected] November 7th 16 11:41 PM

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 14:27:00 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have access to #2 fuel oil that has been sitting in a tank for a couple of years.
Can I use it in my oil burner/furnace? Will it burn properly? Do I have to filter it?
Thanks,
Tony

The oil should be fine.
Your furnace should have a filter, which you should change yearly.

#2 (diesel or fuel oil) can grow a fungus if it does not carry the
right additive package.

Algi - not fungus.

[email protected] November 8th 16 01:53 AM

#2 (diesel or fuel oil) can grow a fungus if it does not carry the
right additive package.

I've never heard of that, but I bet it will still burn just fine.

Walter[_8_] November 8th 16 01:54 AM

On 11/7/2016 5:27 PM, wrote:
I have access to #2 fuel oil that has been sitting in a tank for a couple of years. Can I use it in my oil burner/furnace? Will it burn properly? Do I have to filter it?
Thanks,
Tony

Not all old fuel oil is bad but most bad fuel oil is old.

[email protected] November 8th 16 02:38 AM

#2 (diesel or fuel oil) can grow a fungus if it does not carry the
right additive package.

I've never heard of that, but I bet it will still burn just fine.

It will plug the filters and if you don't filter it will plug the jet
orifice.

#2 (diesel or fuel oil) can grow a fungus if it does not carry the
right additive package.

Algi - not fungus.

Some kind of living stuff that plugs filters.
It is common in boats. I assume any warm humid place would do it tho.

[email protected] November 8th 16 03:00 AM

#2 (diesel or fuel oil) can grow a fungus if it does not carry the
right additive package.

I've never heard of that, but I bet it will still burn just fine.

It will plug the filters and if you don't filter it will plug the jet
orifice.

That makes sense.... But I'd think they probably have the additives in
the oil to prevent that from happening.

#2 (diesel or fuel oil) can grow a fungus if it does not carry the
right additive package.

I've never heard of that, but I bet it will still burn just fine.

It will plug the filters and if you don't filter it will plug the jet
orifice.

That makes sense.... But I'd think they probably have the additives in
the oil to prevent that from happening.

In the 90s I was part of a project to dig up old underground heating oil storage tanks and replace them with modern up to code tanks.

The oil I pumped out of the old tanks was pretty good even though it had been unused for many years.

A few years later some of the new tanks needed replacement, and we pumped the new oil. These tanks had a foot of jelly in the bottom. The experts told us the formulation of heating oil had changed and they now grew some kind of bacterial growth that didn't happen before.

[email protected] November 8th 16 02:48 PM

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 5:27:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have access to #2 fuel oil that has been sitting in a tank for a couple of years. Can I use it in my oil burner/furnace? Will it burn properly? Do I have to filter it?
Thanks,
Tony

Thanks for the info. Looks like it should be fine as long as I don't dredge-up the bottom muck.

[email protected] November 8th 16 03:02 PM

does old heating fuel oil go bad?

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 5:27:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have access to #2 fuel oil that has been sitting in a tank for a couple of years. Can I use it in my oil burner/furnace? Will it burn properly? Do I have to filter it?
Thanks,
Tony

....and of course change filters & nozzles.

[email protected] November 8th 16 04:09 PM

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 06:48:23 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 5:27:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have access to #2 fuel oil that has been sitting in a tank for a couple of years. Can I use it in my oil burner/furnace? Will it burn properly? Do I have to filter it?
Thanks,
Tony

Thanks for the info. Looks like it should be fine as long as I don't dredge-up the bottom muck.

Filter it as you withdraw it from the tank and when the filter plugs,
you are done.

Mike Duffy[_5_] November 8th 16 09:59 PM

does old heating fuel oil go bad?

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 14:27:00 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...] #2 fuel oil that has been sitting in a tank for a couple of years.

I have a few dozen gallons that my Dad got mixed up with gasoline. I mean,
he confused it with gasoline, and so he mixed it up with 2-stroke engine
oil.

I know I can't use it for any type of engine, nor in the oil furnace. What
I was wondering is if anyone can think of a good use, other than producing
inordinate amounts of white smoke.

Ed Pawlowski November 8th 16 10:11 PM

On 11/8/2016 4:59 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 14:27:00 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...] #2 fuel oil that has been sitting in a tank for a couple of years.

I have a few dozen gallons that my Dad got mixed up with gasoline. I mean,
he confused it with gasoline, and so he mixed it up with 2-stroke engine
oil.

I know I can't use it for any type of engine, nor in the oil furnace. What
I was wondering is if anyone can think of a good use, other than producing
inordinate amounts of white smoke.

My father got fuel oil in his 1950 Chevy. He had to clean the fuel
filter a couple of times at first, but once diluted it ran. Diluted
enough it will run in a gas engine.

[email protected] November 9th 16 01:42 AM

does old heating fuel oil go bad?

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 16:59:34 -0500, Mike Duffy
wrote:

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 14:27:00 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...] #2 fuel oil that has been sitting in a tank for a couple of years.

I have a few dozen gallons that my Dad got mixed up with gasoline. I mean,
he confused it with gasoline, and so he mixed it up with 2-stroke engine
oil.

I know I can't use it for any type of engine, nor in the oil furnace. What
I was wondering is if anyone can think of a good use, other than producing
inordinate amounts of white smoke.

a 40:1 mix with 2 stroke oil should burn just fine in a furnace.

Red November 9th 16 02:32 AM

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 3:59:34 PM UTC-6, Mike Duffy wrote:

I know I can't use it for any type of engine, nor in the oil furnace. What
I was wondering is if anyone can think of a good use,

Works as good as Round-up for edging your fence, if you don't get caught.

gregz November 9th 16 09:17 AM

wrote:
I have access to #2 fuel oil that has been sitting in a tank for a couple
of years. Can I use it in my oil burner/furnace? Will it burn properly?
Do I have to filter it?
Thanks,
Tony

If it needs anything, some type 1 kerosene might loosen it up. A little
alcohol is used to condition kerosene. Some burners do either type 1 or 2.

Greg

#2 (diesel or fuel oil) can grow a fungus if it does not carry the
right additive package.

Algi - not fungus.

Some kind of living stuff that plugs filters.
It is common in boats. I assume any warm humid place would do it tho.

It also depends on what conditions the tank was exposed to. An
underground tank or a tank in a basement would be preferable to one
that's above ground, exposed to wide temp swings, causing condensation,
etc. A full tank is better than a mostly empty one. I'd probably draw
some and examine it.