Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Patching a hole

I've had this toilet leak for months. Around the bottom of the toilet
by the floor was cracked and now a large chunk fell off the toilet. I
can smell an odor filling the bathroom.

My question is: How do I patch the toilet hole? I tried to use spackle
but the hole is about 2"x4". Also it doesn't stick to the toilet at all.

Help!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Nov 2016 20:36:40 -0400, Suzy wrote:

I've had this toilet leak for months. Around the bottom of the toilet
by the floor was cracked and now a large chunk fell off the toilet. I
can smell an odor filling the bathroom.

My question is: How do I patch the toilet hole? I tried to use spackle
but the hole is about 2"x4". Also it doesn't stick to the toilet at all.

Help!

If the hole extends to the wax ring (seal) at the base of the toilet,
you are probably buying a new toilet. The best bet is to pull the
toilet and look. The actual seal to the waste pipe is only about 6" in
diameter around the waste pipe. Then you have the issue of the toilet
moving after you put in the new wax ring, breaking the seal.
Got a picture?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2016 8:36 PM, Suzy wrote:
I've had this toilet leak for months. Around the bottom of the toilet
by the floor was cracked and now a large chunk fell off the toilet. I
can smell an odor filling the bathroom.

My question is: How do I patch the toilet hole? I tried to use spackle
but the hole is about 2"x4". Also it doesn't stick to the toilet at all.

Help!

You don't patch it, you replace the toilet. If the porcelain is
stressed it can fall apart with no warning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/16 8:36 PM, Suzy wrote:
I've had this toilet leak for months. Around the bottom of the
toilet by the floor was cracked and now a large chunk fell off the
toilet. I can smell an odor filling the bathroom.

My question is: How do I patch the toilet hole? I tried to use
spackle but the hole is about 2"x4". Also it doesn't stick to the
toilet at all.

Help!

As said, you really need to replace the toilet. If cost of new is a
problem, look for a used/salvage outfit near you like this one in Denver:
https://budswarehouse.org/2016/06/20...-and-bathroom/

or a Habitat for Humanity ReStore near you:
http://www.habitat.org/restores

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2016 6:18 PM, Retired wrote:
On 11/3/16 8:36 PM, Suzy wrote:
I've had this toilet leak for months. Around the bottom of the
toilet by the floor was cracked and now a large chunk fell off the
toilet. I can smell an odor filling the bathroom.

My question is: How do I patch the toilet hole? I tried to use
spackle but the hole is about 2"x4". Also it doesn't stick to the
toilet at all.

Help!

As said, you really need to replace the toilet. If cost of new is a
problem, look for a used/salvage outfit near you like this one in Denver:
https://budswarehouse.org/2016/06/20...-and-bathroom/

or a Habitat for Humanity ReStore near you:
http://www.habitat.org/restores

Or pick up one of the many posted free on craigslist or freecycle.