Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Patching hole in yard lamp pole

When I went out to string Christmas lights on the ivy growing around
the lamp pole in the front yard, I noticed that there is a hole in the
pole about the size of a quarter. I can see the electrical wires
through the hole.

Is there some kind of plug that I can get to plug the hole?

The pole is black. What if I just wrapped it 4-5 times with black
electrician's tape?

The pole is almost completely covered with ivy so neither the hole nor
my patch will be visible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Prof Wonmug" wrote in message
When I went out to string Christmas lights on the ivy growing around
the lamp pole in the front yard, I noticed that there is a hole in the
pole about the size of a quarter. I can see the electrical wires
through the hole.

Is there some kind of plug that I can get to plug the hole?

The pole is black. What if I just wrapped it 4-5 times with black
electrician's tape?

The pole is almost completely covered with ivy so neither the hole nor
my patch will be visible.

Got a real hardware store nearby? The kind with drawers full of hardware,
including oddball parts that make you wonder who uses some of them? I've
seen various sizes of rubber plugs in stores like that. Measure the hole and
take a ride to the store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Prof Wonmug" wrote in message
When I went out to string Christmas lights on the ivy growing around
the lamp pole in the front yard, I noticed that there is a hole in the
pole about the size of a quarter. I can see the electrical wires
through the hole.

Is there some kind of plug that I can get to plug the hole?

The pole is black. What if I just wrapped it 4-5 times with black
electrician's tape?

The pole is almost completely covered with ivy so neither the hole nor
my patch will be visible.

Black tape will work fine. They make knockout plugs as well but in your case
tape is quick and easy. Good to close it, it's a perfect habitat for wasps

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:53:28 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Prof Wonmug" wrote in message
.. .
When I went out to string Christmas lights on the ivy growing around
the lamp pole in the front yard, I noticed that there is a hole in the
pole about the size of a quarter. I can see the electrical wires
through the hole.

Is there some kind of plug that I can get to plug the hole?

The pole is black. What if I just wrapped it 4-5 times with black
electrician's tape?

The pole is almost completely covered with ivy so neither the hole nor
my patch will be visible.

Got a real hardware store nearby? The kind with drawers full of hardware,
including oddball parts that make you wonder who uses some of them? I've
seen various sizes of rubber plugs in stores like that. Measure the hole and
take a ride to the store.

Actually, we do have a hardware store not too far away that I have
only been in once because it looked more like a cross between a junk
yard and an Army-Navy surplus store. Probably just the place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Prof Wonmug" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Yes. That's called a hardware store, and in many ways, it probably makes
Home Depot & Lowes look like toy stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:09:46 -0500, "RBM" wrote:

"Prof Wonmug" wrote in message
.. .
When I went out to string Christmas lights on the ivy growing around
the lamp pole in the front yard, I noticed that there is a hole in the
pole about the size of a quarter. I can see the electrical wires
through the hole.

Is there some kind of plug that I can get to plug the hole?

The pole is black. What if I just wrapped it 4-5 times with black
electrician's tape?

The pole is almost completely covered with ivy so neither the hole nor
my patch will be visible.

Black tape will work fine. They make knockout plugs as well but in your case
tape is quick and easy. Good to close it, it's a perfect habitat for wasps

I called the local hardware store. They have metal knockout plugs.
What would I ask for (or search for) that would be like the black
rubber grommets that snap into place but without the hole?

The hole is 3/4" dia and the pole is black.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Just walk in and tell them what you're trying to do. The beauty of a real
hardware store is that you don't NEED to know the name of the thing you're
looking for. They sell solutions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

That sounds like a hole made for a photocell. The smallest trade sized
knockout plug fits a 7/8" hole, so you may have to find a black plastic plug
or grommet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Prof Wonmug wrote:
When I went out to string Christmas lights on the ivy growing around
the lamp pole in the front yard, I noticed that there is a hole in the
pole about the size of a quarter. I can see the electrical wires
through the hole.

Is there some kind of plug that I can get to plug the hole?

The pole is black. What if I just wrapped it 4-5 times with black
electrician's tape?

The pole is almost completely covered with ivy so neither the hole nor
my patch will be visible.

You might ask the hardware store about a rubber cork or even a
wooden one if appearance isn't a problem That would give you a little
leeway on sizing. Painting the wooden cork should make it last for
some time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 14, 3:42�pm, Prof Wonmug wrote:
When I went out to string Christmas lights on the ivy growing around
the lamp pole in the front yard, I noticed that there is a hole in the
pole about the size of a quarter. I can see the electrical wires
through the hole.

Is there some kind of plug that I can get to plug the hole?

The pole is black. What if I just wrapped it 4-5 times with black
electrician's tape?

The pole is almost completely covered with ivy so neither the hole nor
my patch will be visible.

if hol is low near bottom in ivy it was made that way, a opening for
wire to pole, or for a pole outlet.

in either case just forget about it, build dirt up around bottom

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd go with the electric tape. The tape may dry and come
loose after a year or two. Sunshine contains generous
ammounts of UV radiation, which is tough on electrical tape.

I've seen UV resistant black vinyl tape, but not sure it's
at stores.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Prof Wonmug" wrote in message
When I went out to string Christmas lights on the ivy
growing around
the lamp pole in the front yard, I noticed that there is a
hole in the
pole about the size of a quarter. I can see the electrical
wires
through the hole.

Is there some kind of plug that I can get to plug the hole?

The pole is black. What if I just wrapped it 4-5 times with
black
electrician's tape?

The pole is almost completely covered with ivy so neither
the hole nor
my patch will be visible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:20:44 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 14, 3:42?pm, Prof Wonmug wrote:
When I went out to string Christmas lights on the ivy growing around
the lamp pole in the front yard, I noticed that there is a hole in the
pole about the size of a quarter. I can see the electrical wires
through the hole.

Is there some kind of plug that I can get to plug the hole?

The pole is black. What if I just wrapped it 4-5 times with black
electrician's tape?

The pole is almost completely covered with ivy so neither the hole nor
my patch will be visible.

if hol is low near bottom in ivy it was made that way, a opening for
wire to pole, or for a pole outlet.

in either case just forget about it, build dirt up around bottom

The hole is at the top, about 2" below the cap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

I've seen UV resistant black vinyl tape, but not sure it's
at stores.

¿¿¿¿ Does it come from volcanoes ¿¿¿¿ :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

On Dec 14, 3:42?pm, Prof Wonmug wrote:
When I went out to string Christmas lights on the ivy growing around
the lamp pole in the front yard, I noticed that there is a hole in the
pole about the size of a quarter. I can see the electrical wires
through the hole.

Is there some kind of plug that I can get to plug the hole?

The pole is black. What if I just wrapped it 4-5 times with black
electrician's tape?

The pole is almost completely covered with ivy so neither the hole nor
my patch will be visible.

if hol is low near bottom in ivy it was made that way, a opening for
wire to pole, or for a pole outlet.

in either case just forget about it, build dirt up around bottom

The hole is at the top, about 2" below the cap.

In that case, you must make this into a much bigger deal than originally
thought. Find a metal artist who works in bronze and have a tiny, decorative
plaque made. It should cost at least a couple hundred bucks due to the tiny,
etched images in it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:33:03 -0800, Prof Wonmug wrote:

The hole is at the top, about 2" below the cap.

It was mentioned the hole is likely for a photo-cell.

Find a dummy plug to plug it up!

1) whittle a tree branch down and make a wooden plug.

2) use a wine bottle cork and plug the hole

3) duct tape

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mine comes from my HVAC parts house, which is pretty much
the same thing. No worries. Big adress with a bunch of
melted rocks, and lava and magma. Occasionally, stuff flows
down the side of the building. Not molten rock, more like
icicles.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...
"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message

I've seen UV resistant black vinyl tape, but not sure it's
at stores.

¿¿¿¿ Does it come from volcanoes ¿¿¿¿ :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Did you mean wrought iron? Outdoor bronze is so, so tacky.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...

The hole is at the top, about 2" below the cap.

In that case, you must make this into a much bigger deal
than originally
thought. Find a metal artist who works in bronze and have a
tiny, decorative
plaque made. It should cost at least a couple hundred bucks
due to the tiny,
etched images in it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Prof Wonmug wrote the following:
When I went out to string Christmas lights on the ivy growing around
the lamp pole in the front yard, I noticed that there is a hole in the
pole about the size of a quarter. I can see the electrical wires
through the hole.

Is there some kind of plug that I can get to plug the hole?

The pole is black. What if I just wrapped it 4-5 times with black
electrician's tape?

The pole is almost completely covered with ivy so neither the hole nor
my patch will be visible.

I've read the replies so far.
I will repeat a solution I mentioned earlier for weatherproofing AC ducts.
Get some Con-tact shelf paper to wrap the pole around the hole. It comes
in Black too.
It will look better than electrical tape.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 8:24*am, willshak wrote:
[...]

Not that it matters, but the hole is for a plastic bar that comes with
the lamp post.
I have 2 of these from home depot. Its a straight bar about 18 inches
long that is
designed to slide through the holes.. you do have 2 directly across
the post, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
Prof Wonmug wrote the following:
When I went out to string Christmas lights on the ivy growing around
the lamp pole in the front yard, I noticed that there is a hole in the
pole about the size of a quarter. I can see the electrical wires
through the hole.
Is there some kind of plug that I can get to plug the hole?

The pole is black. What if I just wrapped it 4-5 times with black
electrician's tape?

The pole is almost completely covered with ivy so neither the hole nor
my patch will be visible.

I've read the replies so far.
I will repeat a solution I mentioned earlier for weatherproofing AC ducts.
Get some Con-tact shelf paper to wrap the pole around the hole. It comes
in Black too.
It will look better than electrical tape.

Moisture will make the contact paper look like crap after a short time, and
then he'll also have to clean the gooey adhesive off the pole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote the following:
"willshak" wrote in message

[...]

It's called contact paper, but it is a plastic film.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

or, try the obvious.

Buy a photocell to fit the hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Prof Wonmug wrote:

When I went out to string Christmas lights on the ivy growing around
the lamp pole in the front yard, I noticed that there is a hole in the
pole about the size of a quarter. I can see the electrical wires
through the hole.

Is there some kind of plug that I can get to plug the hole?

The pole is black. What if I just wrapped it 4-5 times with black
electrician's tape?

The pole is almost completely covered with ivy so neither the hole nor
my patch will be visible.

If you feel like going to the trouble, take the head off the lamp and
use a piece of shrink tubing on the pole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 05:35:18 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

This pole was installed way before we bought the house, probably 30-40
years ago. It did not come from Home Depot. There is only one hole. It
looks like is was drilled by hand (ragged edges).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 08:37:12 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Prof Wonmug wrote:

When I went out to string Christmas lights on the ivy growing around
the lamp pole in the front yard, I noticed that there is a hole in the
pole about the size of a quarter. I can see the electrical wires
through the hole.

Is there some kind of plug that I can get to plug the hole?

The pole is black. What if I just wrapped it 4-5 times with black
electrician's tape?

The pole is almost completely covered with ivy so neither the hole nor
my patch will be visible.

If you feel like going to the trouble, take the head off the lamp and
use a piece of shrink tubing on the pole.

I thought shrink tubing was just that clear plastic stuff for
electrical connections. I didn't know it was available in larger
sizes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Prof Wonmug" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 08:37:12 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Prof Wonmug wrote:

When I went out to string Christmas lights on the ivy growing around
the lamp pole in the front yard, I noticed that there is a hole in the
pole about the size of a quarter. I can see the electrical wires
through the hole.

Is there some kind of plug that I can get to plug the hole?

The pole is black. What if I just wrapped it 4-5 times with black
electrician's tape?

The pole is almost completely covered with ivy so neither the hole nor
my patch will be visible.

If you feel like going to the trouble, take the head off the lamp and
use a piece of shrink tubing on the pole.

I thought shrink tubing was just that clear plastic stuff for
electrical connections. I didn't know it was available in larger
sizes.

Probably available larger. But it's a silly idea for this purpose. Did you
find anything useful at the funky hardware store?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:09:46 -0500, "RBM" wrote:

"Prof Wonmug" wrote in message
.. .
When I went out to string Christmas lights on the ivy growing around
the lamp pole in the front yard, I noticed that there is a hole in the
pole about the size of a quarter. I can see the electrical wires
through the hole.

Is there some kind of plug that I can get to plug the hole?

The pole is black. What if I just wrapped it 4-5 times with black
electrician's tape?

The pole is almost completely covered with ivy so neither the hole nor
my patch will be visible.

Black tape will work fine. They make knockout plugs as well but in your case
tape is quick and easy. Good to close it, it's a perfect habitat for wasps

That's what I ended up doing. A few wraps with black electrical tape
and it's sealed. After I finished, I could still see a depression
where the hole is, which made me wish that I had cut a small piece of
plastic or thin metal or something to cover the hole first. If the
tape wears off, I'll do that next time.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:34:30 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Prof Wonmug" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 08:37:12 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Prof Wonmug wrote:

[...]

I never got over there. It's not real close, so I was waiting for some
other reason to go over there. In the meantime, I used black
electrical tape. The next time I'm over that way, I will stop in and
see if they have something, just for fun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Prof Wonmug wrote:
[...]

Thought I answered this thread already- the tape and the thin metal can
be one and the same. Metal furnace tape or those metal patches they sell
in the auto body repair aisle. Trim to correct size, paint with a spray
can, and when dry, stick on the the surface you degreased before-hand.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

I doubt anyone else will notice. Maybe it's a good luck
sign?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Prof Wonmug" wrote in message

That's what I ended up doing. A few wraps with black
electrical tape
and it's sealed. After I finished, I could still see a
depression
where the hole is, which made me wish that I had cut a small
piece of
plastic or thin metal or something to cover the hole first.
If the
tape wears off, I'll do that next time.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Prof Wonmug wrote:

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 08:37:12 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Prof Wonmug wrote:

When I went out to string Christmas lights on the ivy growing around
the lamp pole in the front yard, I noticed that there is a hole in the
pole about the size of a quarter. I can see the electrical wires
through the hole.

Is there some kind of plug that I can get to plug the hole?

The pole is black. What if I just wrapped it 4-5 times with black
electrician's tape?

The pole is almost completely covered with ivy so neither the hole nor
my patch will be visible.

If you feel like going to the trouble, take the head off the lamp and
use a piece of shrink tubing on the pole.

I thought shrink tubing was just that clear plastic stuff for
electrical connections. I didn't know it was available in larger
sizes.

Yep, you can get it pretty large. And black. Much better than electrical
tape for this application.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Prof Wonmug wrote:

Actually, we do have a hardware store not too far away that I have
only been in once because it looked more like a cross between a junk
yard and an Army-Navy surplus store. Probably just the place.

That sounds like the kind of store I can spend a day in!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Prof Wonmug wrote:

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 08:37:12 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Prof Wonmug wrote:

[...]

Silly idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Prof Wonmug wrote:

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 08:37:12 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Prof Wonmug wrote:

[...]

You've said that twice, Joe. Why do you find it silly? Shrink tubing is
better for almost any application than electrical tape, for a number of
reasons. It's neater, and it's permanent. Tape degrades, loosens, peels,
looks ugly, and leaves a gummy mess when you do take it off. Shrink
tubing has none of those drawbacks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Prof Wonmug wrote:

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 08:37:12 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Prof Wonmug wrote:

[...]

Unless the light fixture itself is barely larger than the diameter of the
pole on which it's mounted, he'll have two choices, both bad:

1) Find shrink tubing big enough to easily slip past the fixture. In that
case, it'll be quite a bit larger than the pole, which would make it the
wrong size. Of course, without knowing the size of the fixture vs the pole,
this is conjecture, but excellent conjecture.

2) Remove the fixture in order to install the shrink tubing.

I love shrink tubing. I think it's one of the most amazing things ever
invented, second only to penicillin and twist-off beer caps. But it's not
right for this purpose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
Prof Wonmug wrote:

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 08:37:12 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Prof Wonmug wrote:

[...]

That's why I said, "if you feel like going to the trouble, take the head
off the lamp" and use the tubing. I'd rather do that once than replace a
bunch of ugly messy tape every six months for the rest of my life. How
hard can it be to take the head off the lamp? A couple of screws and two
wires. This is a half-hour job even if you're drinking your way through
it. But anyway, the OP has it done now with the tape.