Posted to alt.home.repair
Prof Wonmug Prof Wonmug is offline

Default Patching hole in yard lamp pole

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 05:35:18 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 15, 8:24*am, willshak wrote:
Prof Wonmug wrote the following:

When I went out to string Christmas lights on the ivy growing around
the lamp pole in the front yard, I noticed that there is a hole in the
pole about the size of a quarter. I can see the electrical wires
through the hole.

Is there some kind of plug that I can get to plug the hole?

The pole is black. What if I just wrapped it 4-5 times with black
electrician's tape?

The pole is almost completely covered with ivy so neither the hole nor
my patch will be visible.

I've read the replies so far.
I will repeat a solution I mentioned earlier for weatherproofing AC ducts.
Get some Con-tact shelf paper to wrap the pole around the hole. It comes
in Black too.
It will look better than electrical tape.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Not that it matters, but the hole is for a plastic bar that comes with
the lamp post.
I have 2 of these from home depot. Its a straight bar about 18 inches
long that is
designed to slide through the holes.. you do have 2 directly across
the post, right?

This pole was installed way before we bought the house, probably 30-40
years ago. It did not come from Home Depot. There is only one hole. It
looks like is was drilled by hand (ragged edges).