Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Half a House

This site talks about the unseen in our world. It
focuses on design and architecture. The article here
http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/half-a-house/
starts off talking about the 2010 earthquake in Chile. It shows the
housing brought in to give the people shelter. Half a house is pretty
much what they got. One half to live in right away, the other half
to finish themselves to suit their needs.
Episode 234 talks about a baseball manager's changes in
alignment to stop Ted Williams.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 6:24:10 AM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
This site talks about the unseen in our world. It
focuses on design and architecture. The article here
http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/half-a-house/
starts off talking about the 2010 earthquake in Chile. It shows the
housing brought in to give the people shelter. Half a house is pretty
much what they got. One half to live in right away, the other half
to finish themselves to suit their needs.
Episode 234 talks about a baseball manager's changes in
alignment to stop Ted Williams.

That project is really slick. It's something that could be done in California where last year, more than 1,300 homes were lost to one wildfire. In 2011, in Texas, 852 homes were lost in one 48 hour period to wildfires. We have a serious drought here in Alabamastan that's gone on for too long forcing water use restrictions and fines for those who waste water. In October, over a thousand wildfires broke out here but luckily fire crews put them out quickly.
(˜‰_˜‰)

[8~{} Uncle Dehydrated Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 11:36:34 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

As he and his wife got money
they would finish a room at a time.

Visiting parts of Mexico, I noticed many unfinished homes so I asked
about it. The families would buy and pay off the land, then start
building as they could afford the materials. Was told the main reason
was they didn't care to have a mortgage and owe money. It was an
interesting idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/02/2016 12:37 PM, Oren wrote:

Visiting parts of Mexico, I noticed many unfinished homes so I asked
about it. The families would buy and pay off the land, then start
building as they could afford the materials. Was told the main reason
was they didn't care to have a mortgage and owe money. It was an
interesting idea.

Put Dave Ramsey out of business, wouldn't they...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

Visiting parts of Mexico, I noticed many unfinished homes so I asked
about it. The families would buy and pay off the land, then start
building as they could afford the materials. Was told the main reason
was they didn't care to have a mortgage and owe money. It was an
interesting idea.

I have been told that in years ago that in the country as the children
came along they would add a room at a time to the house.

Growing up in a small town I remember dad had a shingle roof put on to
replace the tin roof. At that time he added a room to make a 2 bedroom
to a 3 bed room house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 14:00:00 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

I have been told that in years ago that in the country as the children
came along they would add a room at a time to the house.

Growing up in a small town I remember dad had a shingle roof put on to
replace the tin roof. At that time he added a room to make a 2 bedroom
to a 3 bed room house.

Many, if not most old farm houses began as small homes, and as money
came in, rooms or additions were added. Unlike today, when people build
large homes by getting credit, and often losing these homes if they can
not pay off the banks. But in the 19th and early 20th century, credit
was rare, and homes were built "as needed". As a family grew, so did the
house.

Currently, I am aware if a situation where a lack of available credit
has stopped a business from completing a bar & restaurant. The owner had
a small bar/restaurant, and it was a successful business. Then a fire
destroyed the building. After he got the insurance money, he built a
huge building, which has over four times the square footage as the
original building. The insurance money paid to build the shell of the
structure, and then the guy ran out of money, and it appears he can not
get enough credit to complete the building. For a half year, this shell
of a building has just sat there, unable to be used for anything. It
consists of a foundation with walls and a completed roof. The walls are
just styrofoam sheathing with no siding. The interior is just stud
walls. No electric, no plumbing, and thus it has no value as a bar or
restaurant.

There was talk that the guy was going to just finish half of the upper
floor and not do anything with the lower floor (2 story building). Then
reopen it as a business. However, the last I heard, he can not even
afford the siding, wiring, or plumbing. And the code will not allow him
to open as a business without covering ALL the walls and ceilings with a
fireproof material (probably meaning sheetrock). So, this half completed
building just sits there, unused and will likely remain that way.
Everyone in the area agrees that he built it too large and did not use
common sense. I can only guess that he will end up selling this half
finished building and losing money, as well as never re-opning his bar
and restaurant.... I guess time will tell....