Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Should a pool light bulb be touching water only halfway (half in, half out)?

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 14:31:56 -0700, Terra Arcane wrote:

I noticed the water level inside the light fixture was half
way on one light; in the other three I couldn't tell so it must be 100%
full.

Correction: On the other two, it appears they were 100% empty of water.

Now that I replaced the gasket on the light that was (strangely) 1/2 full
of water, the GFCI no longer trips because the third light is now also
empty of water (kept out by the rubber gasket and tons of silicone goop).

It's weird that it was only 1/2 full (and not 100% full since the whole
light assembly is submerged) ... and I wasn't sure how tight to tighten the
steel band that holds the glass onto the rubber seal onto the steel light
fixture.

I made it VERY TIGHT but I was afraid I would shatter the glass. How do you
know when it's enough tightening on the two-inch-long bolt for the steel
band?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 22:47:27 -0700, Terra Arcane wrote:
I made it VERY TIGHT but I was afraid I would shatter the glass. How do you
know when it's enough tightening on the two-inch-long bolt for the steel
band?

According to this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h0BqTSAMO8) which
shows a light exactly like mine (except a lot cleaner), the guy says "in my
opinion, you can't tighten the bolt too tight".

So I guess I did the right thing (the glass didn't shatter and it didn't
leak.

But I can see why you'd have to replace the $15 gasket each time because
that steel band compresses it quite tightly when snug as far as it will
turn.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terra Arcane" wrote in message
[...]

It was only half full because the leak was on the bottom of the fixture. I
generally recommend replacing the entire fixture. In my experience, pool
maintenance companies never seem to be able to reseal these things, and
invariably they leak again. Possibly they're trying to use the old gasket,
so hopefully you'll have better luck

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 09:47:54 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

The manufactures all say if you open the light, you replace the
gasket. They are a one shot deal.

I've never messed with one myself. Typically I get a call that the pool
lights aren't working, I find and disconnect the offending fixture from it's
deck box and have the customer have their pool maintenance company fix or
replace it, then I reconnect it. Whenever it was "fixed", they leak, so I've
just been telling customers to have them replaced, which ultimately probably
saves time and money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 10:37:39 -0400, wrote:

The manufactures all say if you open the light, you replace the
gasket. They are a one shot deal.

Now you tell me!

Yes, it was I who opened the light (to clean out the mud) the last time and
the GFCI tripping started right after that.

Mea culpa!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 09:47:54 -0400, RBM wrote:

It was only half full because the leak was on the bottom of the fixture.

That makes sense. The air in the "niche" probably couldn't escape so that
prevented more water from coming in.

There is no "pool maintenance" company. I bought the house as a foreclosure
and the pool was green with scum in it. I cleaned it all out but never
owned a pool before so I had to figure out how the pipes went.

I removed all the lights when I cleaned the pool to clean out the scum, and
then after that, they would blow the GFCI after five minutes. So, I think
it was my fault all along; I shouldn't have re-used the gaskets.

There's sooooo much to learn. I don't even know what all the bottom
fixtures are. I googled and googled and learned what I could. Is there any
way to get the old diagrams of the pool?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 10:55:40 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

The manufactures all say if you open the light, you replace the
gasket. They are a one shot deal.

I've never messed with one myself. Typically I get a call that the pool
lights aren't working, I find and disconnect the offending fixture from
it's
deck box and have the customer have their pool maintenance company fix or
replace it, then I reconnect it. Whenever it was "fixed", they leak, so
I've
just been telling customers to have them replaced, which ultimately
probably
saves time and money.

If they think "fixing" means tightening up the ring, it isn't fixed.
Replacing the gasket should fix it if the ring and shell were not
damaged by other attempts to fix it.

I agree, my guess is that there are a number of manufacturers and models,
and these pool maintenance companies would rather not take the time to
locate the replacement gasket, so they try to reuse the old ones, and maybe
add a little silicone sealant

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Just find a neighbor with a pool. In a few minutes you'll understand it all.
You probably shouldn't have pulled everything apart to clean it though. I
bought my house about 14 years ago, from an estate, and the pool looked like
green jello. The trick is to just dump $100 worth of chemicals in it, then
filter the hell out of it.
You're in for a real treat with your new money pit. All it takes is a few
hundred dollars each year, provided you do all the work yourself, and then
every three or four years, you have to go for a few thousand dollars, then
eventually, just when you get good at it, your pool looks like mine does
now, and then you go for your lungs.
http://picasaweb.google.com/10911899...eat=directlink