Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Should a pool light bulb be touching water only halfway (half in, half out)?

wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 10:55:40 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

The manufactures all say if you open the light, you replace the
gasket. They are a one shot deal.

I've never messed with one myself. Typically I get a call that the pool
lights aren't working, I find and disconnect the offending fixture from
it's
deck box and have the customer have their pool maintenance company fix or
replace it, then I reconnect it. Whenever it was "fixed", they leak, so
I've
just been telling customers to have them replaced, which ultimately
probably
saves time and money.

If they think "fixing" means tightening up the ring, it isn't fixed.
Replacing the gasket should fix it if the ring and shell were not
damaged by other attempts to fix it.

I agree, my guess is that there are a number of manufacturers and models,
and these pool maintenance companies would rather not take the time to
locate the replacement gasket, so they try to reuse the old ones, and maybe
add a little silicone sealant