Philip

Default Wiring question

Does code allow for running power wires behind crown molding? Do I
need to run the wires in conduit? Thanks.

Philip
Pop Rivet

Only if it's per code. eg inside conduit, armor, etc..
Check your local code enforcement officer for codes.
Never can the wires themselves - no - don't do it - stick
to code so your home insurance will protect you. Whether
you -have- to use conduit or not can only be answered by
knowing your particular code - make the phone call - you'll
be glad you did.

Pop

"Philip" wrote in message
om...
Does code allow for running power wires behind crown

molding? Do I
need to run the wires in conduit? Thanks.

Philip

SQLit

"Philip" wrote in message
om...
Does code allow for running power wires behind crown molding? Do I
need to run the wires in conduit? Thanks.

Philip

What kind of wiring did you have in mind? Speaker, phone, or cat5 would be
fine because they are all low voltage.

Line voltage, if your running romex, or armored, I would say yes as long as
the wire was protected from nails. Example your using 6" crown in a room.
Position the wire in the center of the crown molding were there will never
be any nails or screws I would think would be ok. I have run romex or
armored behind cabinets, and under cabinets and had it inspected no worries.

Check with the local guys just be sure and safe

Joe Bobst

Do I need to run the wires in conduit?

Check codes, probably best practice anyway. Given that situation I'd use
Wiremold because it is quite compact. HTH

Joe

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Philip -.
I was planning on using line voltage (120V) 14 awg romex or if needed
14 awg armored cable.

- Nehmo -
The romex is fine. The connections need to be in boxes or fixtures that
form boxs. You don't need to check any code either. I don't even know
where you are, but I can assuure you there is no restriction on placing
a piece of moulding over some romex. Those people who recommended
checking the code live at home and haven't lost their virginity yet.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

I-zheet M'drurz

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

- Philip -.
I was planning on using line voltage (120V) 14 awg romex or if
needed 14 awg armored cable.

- Nehmo -
The romex is fine. The connections need to be in boxes or
fixtures that form boxs. You don't need to check any code
either. I don't even know where you are, but I can assuure you
there is no restriction on placing a piece of moulding over some
romex.

I've read more than a couple of home wiring guides, and *ALL* say
it's OK to hide a piece of Romex behind a baseboard or molding.
Of course you need to use common sense and watch your nailing, but
why should anybody believe you don't understand that part!?

Those people who recommended checking the code live at
home and haven't lost their virginity yet.

LMELAO!!!

WOOOOHOOOO! YESSSSSS!

Post of the week!

--