Roger Redford

Default Solid Oak or Maple Laminate for kitchen cabinet doors

Dear experts,

My latest project is refinishing the kitchen.

I've decided to keep the existing cabinets, and
have painted them. But I'm thinking of changing
the doors.

At Home Depot, I saw, in the same section as the
melamine, what they called a pine laminate.

This are long pieces of pine, edge glued together
to form a flat board. The same effect is seen in
a solid wood table top.

I like this idea, of using real wood laminate for
the cabinet doors. But but I'm not fond of pine.
I could make them myself, but I would have to buy
the tools, and take the time to build the boards,
before finally getting to making the doors.

Does anyone know where I could buy a similar, solid wood,
edge glued laminate? But, made out of oak or maple?
I live in the Boston area.

Also, do I have the right term? Does this product go by
another name? (not oak/maple laminate?)

Thanks a lot
Chris Perdue

From: condor_222

Also, do I have the right term? Does this product go by
another name? (not oak/maple laminate?)

hardwood edge veneer....available at Lowe's and Home Depot
-------------------
Chris Perdue

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY.
GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
LAUGHING AT YOURSELF IS THERAPEUTIC!

dadiOH

Roger Redford wrote:

I could make them myself, but I would have to buy
the tools, and take the time to build the boards,
before finally getting to making the doors.

All you'd need is a saw and a plane. Plus clamps. Lots of clamps.

If you have a router you could use it instead of the plane to edge the =
boards by running along a straight edge. Obviously, you could also use =
a joiner.

Once you have your boards glued up it is duck soup to make the doors. =
Note that they should be full overlay doors, not inset.

--=20
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

loutent

As another option, you could use the pine glue-ups as a substrate
on which you could apply a veneer in the wood of your choice.
You would only need a simple laminate trim tool for the edges.

If it were me, I think I would buy a few hundred dollars of tools
(router, plane, etc) and glue up some solid material. It would
probably be much cheaper & after its finished, you still have the
tools.

My 2ç.

Lou
Gary Heston

In article ,
Roger Redford wrote:
[ ... ]
At Home Depot, I saw, in the same section as the
melamine, what they called a pine laminate.

[ ... ]
Does anyone know where I could buy a similar, solid wood,
edge glued laminate? But, made out of oak or maple?
I live in the Boston area.

Sure. Look in the flooring section. They should have a variety
of hardwood veneered producs you can use.

Also, do I have the right term? Does this product go by
another name? (not oak/maple laminate?)

Veneer. That's the term for applying a thin layer of real wood
over a base material.

Thanks a lot

You're welcome.

Of course, you could just ask at Home Depot to see if they can
order oak or maple laminate where they get the pine.

Gary

--
Gary Heston

Contrary to popular opinion, _not_ everyone loves Raymond.

At Home Depot, I saw, in the same section as the
melamine, what they called a pine laminate.

I saw something similar there too, called "Thermofoil." I passed on that
after some checking on the net showed there was some concern over the stuff
changing color and coming unglued. This did happen most frequently over
stoves/ovens, but I can't imagine how hot a stove would have to get to make
the laminate start to peel and discolor.

Instead, I ordered up some cabinets with solid birch doors (stained and
varnished) with a laminate countertop. Cost a little more, but it looks
better . . .
-Tock

mp

But I still have my heart set on oak or maple laminate.

Does anyone know if it exists? Where could I buy it?

As mentioned earlier, it's available as kitchen countertop material. You
might even be able to buy slabs of it at Ikea in their kitchen department.

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Roger Redford wrote:
Thanks everyone for your responses.

However, I already knew about using the roll on laminate.
And, how to make them myself. And edge veneer.

But I still have my heart set on oak or maple laminate.

Does anyone know if it exists? Where could I buy it?

If all else fails, go to an 'art supply' store. One that sells artists
paints, brushes, etc. Look at 'wooden drawing boards'. Usually solid,
laminated up, maple.

Sit down before looking at the price tags, however.