Default Solid Oak or Maple Laminate for kitchen cabinet doors

At Home Depot, I saw, in the same section as the
melamine, what they called a pine laminate.

I saw something similar there too, called "Thermofoil." I passed on that
after some checking on the net showed there was some concern over the stuff
changing color and coming unglued. This did happen most frequently over
stoves/ovens, but I can't imagine how hot a stove would have to get to make
the laminate start to peel and discolor.

Instead, I ordered up some cabinets with solid birch doors (stained and
varnished) with a laminate countertop. Cost a little more, but it looks
better . . .
-Tock