Dinah

Default Steam cleaners

Does the steam cleaners shown on Infomercial's really work as they appear to
do? I'm looking at a "Scunci" Hand-Held Steamer in a Harriett Carter
catalog for $59.95. Anyone have any experience with these. TIA

m Ransley

I realy cant see them as more than a new product looking for a market
and dont see their worth. Just something new to spend your money on.

Joseph Meehan

Dinah wrote:
Does the steam cleaners shown on Infomercial's really work as they
appear to do?

Sure they do, on the commercial. However when you get it home, you will
find that what you need to clean is not exactly what they were cleaning on
the show.

Sorry there is no free lunch. If they were all that good, the pros
would use them, and I have yet to see a pro use one ..... we maybe a pro
salesman.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

jim

Dinah wrote:

Does the steam cleaners shown on Infomercial's really work as they appear to
do? I'm looking at a "Scunci" Hand-Held Steamer in a Harriett Carter
catalog for $59.95. Anyone have any experience with these. TIA

i got a commercial steam cleaner that can clean anything... but is too
big and messy to work inside the house with.. used it for cleaning a/c
units years ago.. without any chemicals(soaps) it would blow away the
crud in the inside of the coils on the window a/c units.. it would get
rid of any grease, oil, wax, you name it the stuff looked brand new
after using it.. the small hand held units ????? but i do remember years
ago buying a small plastic, plug in the wall thing for steaming
clothes... fill it up with about 1 pt. of water and plug it in and the
steam(oh forgot you had to add salt to the water first) and you would be
able to steam your clothes and it would remove the rinkles from the
clothes..... it was the salt added to the water that made it steam
because the boiling point of water is lower with salt in the water... so
you have steam.....i think i paid about $12.00 for this thing about 35
yrs ago.. still got it, but never use it.. back then i needed something
to get the rinkles out of clothes(dry clean type clothes)... dont
really need it anymore...
SQLit

"Dinah" wrote in message
Does the steam cleaners shown on Infomercial's really work as they appear

do? I'm looking at a "Scunci" Hand-Held Steamer in a Harriett Carter
catalog for $59.95. Anyone have any experience with these. TIA

I bought a floor roll around model from Target, on sale. It is great for the
bathroom and the kitchen. It takes a couple of minutes for the steam to be
produced and the unit holds about 3 cups of water. I can do both toilets and
floors around the toilets with one tank of water. I am happy with mine. I
had back surgery a while back and I do not carry anything unless I have to.

Joseph Meehan

edee em wrote:
With due respect to mark and the Irish mathematician, I recently
purchased a Shark steam cleaning unit. I had to see how it worked
and so far so good. We have a grill on our stove and it gets caked
with fat and grease. I have hit those grills with every chemical
known (and safe?) to man, with varying results. I used the steam
cleaner the other day and what a difference. The steam breaks up the
fat and grease and you wipe it away. Takes some time but it's well
worth it. Not sure about upholstery, rugs etc yet but plan on using
it there soon. I am also interested in how it performs inside the
shower on mould, soap scum, etc.

The only proviso I would pass along is this might be a situation of
you get what you pay for. My unit cost me $149.99 Cdn and it has all
sorts of attachments allowing me to do floors, etc.

good cleaning!

PS: I don't have any connection with Shark except for the fact that
they now have some of my money....

I am glad to hear that at least some of them work. I suspect the
machine you bought for $149 CD was a lot different (better) than the $29.99
+SH (includes a free egg slicer if you order in 15 minutes) machine as
advertised on TV that I was thinking of. I did not even know they made
good consumer type machines. (Of course not knowing has seldom stopped me
from commenting. ;-)

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Dorot29701

I have a Shark steam machine, too. It cost $99 at Sears two years ago - so it
may not be as fancy as the $149 job - but it does do a good job on several
things.

Dorothy
Dick Smyth

I have a similar steam cleaner and it is quite useful.
It works best with a stiff brush attachment.
I have had good results removing cement from ceramic tile, cleaning my boat
top and getting rid of crud in tight places such as door channels. It also
works well on jewellery.

"Geoman" wrote in message

"Dinah" wrote in message
Does the steam cleaners shown on Infomercial's really work as they

appear to
do? I'm looking at a "Scunci" Hand-Held Steamer in a Harriett Carter
catalog for $59.95. Anyone have any experience with these. TIA

They are a JOKE! I use steam cleaners that have 450,000 btu burners in

them to clean
restaurants. One manager bought one and it was ridiculous! She called and

said not to come
out, she bought her own steam cleaner. Then she called back a day later

and asked me to
come out.

HOW do they get all that steam on TV to fog up the room you ask? Well,

cool the place down
prior to filming, a cool room will make the steam appear to be

overwhelming. Remember the
steam locomotives? Very little steam showed in the summer time but in the

cooler days it
encompasses the entire station!
Save your money, in a few months summer is going to be here, you'll see

them in garage
sales, CHEAP!

Ph.D. BioMechanics

"Dinah" wrote in message ...
Does the steam cleaners shown on Infomercial's really work as they appear to
do? I'm looking at a "Scunci" Hand-Held Steamer in a Harriett Carter
catalog for $59.95. Anyone have any experience with these. TIA

Amazon.com - Reviews

Here is your review the way it will appear:
One Star (there would be ZERO if the option was available).

Cheap China C**P, Marketing, Mail & Phone Fraud
Reviewer: bruceaa3 from Carrollton, TX United States
First of all, I am an advanced degreed electrical engineer. I almost
never buy off TV. Caveat Emptor and all that. Well, we have a new
baby, so I wanted everything really clean. I bit...and got bitten.
1) The machine spits out steam at a raging 105 decibles - comparable
to a small jet engine. They used a highly directional microphone to
eliminate the sound on the infomercial.

2) Now the fraud: The shipping and handling was listed on the website
and by the phone salesclerk at $19.95. Arrived with S&H at $24.90 plus
Texas State sales tax OVERCALCULATED at 11.7%. The real rate here is
no more than 8 1/2%.

3) Tried this unit on every item as seen in the infomercial. Total
failure. I suspect they pretreated the areas, or painted on the
"stuff". An entire pot of water failed to remove any grease from the
porcelein coated new BBQ grill I have. Ditto soap scum and mold on a
sink. Ditto road grime on mag allow car wheel.

They have no real website, no email address. Had to go hunting for
"Scunzi" on the 'Net. The address they list are no-name warehouse
owned by "Universal Inventory, Inc."
This one is just 10 minutres from me. I will investigate and then
contact Consumer Affiars, the DA's office and the Postal Service, as
well as make a bank chargeback..