Vito Cavallo

Default Need Help With Stuck Steam Pipe

I have an old house that uses steam heat. I installed tile in my first
floor bathroom and I need to replace the steam pipe because it's too short.
After hours of trying, I reallly mangled the end of the pipe with a pipe
wrench. The other problem is the pipe is encased in concrete, because the
bathroom is an add-on. The pipe is 8 inches into the concrete. I can get
to the beginning of the pipe, but not the elbow that is stuck.

How can I remove this stuck steam pipe? Is there a tool that will go down
into a steam pipe and grind it away from the inside? A cutting torch is not
long enough and seems dangerous.

Thanx

CBHvac

"Vito Cavallo" wrote in message
I have an old house that uses steam heat. I installed tile in my first
floor bathroom and I need to replace the steam pipe because it's too

short.
After hours of trying, I reallly mangled the end of the pipe with a pipe
wrench. The other problem is the pipe is encased in concrete, because the
bathroom is an add-on. The pipe is 8 inches into the concrete. I can get
to the beginning of the pipe, but not the elbow that is stuck.

How can I remove this stuck steam pipe? Is there a tool that will go down
into a steam pipe and grind it away from the inside? A cutting torch is

not
long enough and seems dangerous.

Thanx

You wont like this, but from someone thats had to repair many a
gas/steam/water piping section due to actions like this...

There is a way to properly remove the pipe...

It involves removal of the concrete from around the pipe, and larger pipe
wrench...and from the sounds of your situation, removal of alot of tile.
Once you have hammered out around the pipe, vac'd out all the loose
material, and removed the pipe, it would be wise to have a section of PVC
larger than the pipe cut to use as a liner, and replace the section, then,
concrete back around and level.

Speedy Jim

Vito Cavallo wrote:

I have an old house that uses steam heat. I installed tile in my first
floor bathroom and I need to replace the steam pipe because it's too short.
After hours of trying, I reallly mangled the end of the pipe with a pipe
wrench. The other problem is the pipe is encased in concrete, because the
bathroom is an add-on. The pipe is 8 inches into the concrete. I can get
to the beginning of the pipe, but not the elbow that is stuck.

How can I remove this stuck steam pipe? Is there a tool that will go down
into a steam pipe and grind it away from the inside? A cutting torch is not
long enough and seems dangerous.

Thanx

Not sure I have a clear picture...
If the pipe is stuck to the concrete, drill a few holes in the
concrete around the pipe, then chisel the concrete or whack the
pipe to loosen it.
If you force a solid steel rod into the pipe, you can apply
more force on the pipe wrench.
If the pipe is frozen in the Elbow, something else may break
when you force it.

If all else fails, cut the pipe off at the floor and use
a Sawzall blade to cut the remaining pipe vertically.
That will weaken it so you can crush it and extract.
That won't work if the El is way below floor level.

Jim
mark Ransley

I think you are over your head, Get a pro, You ****ed it up
already want more ?

mark Ransley

What a **** up

Vito Cavallo

Default Need Help With Stuck Steam Pipe- update

The pipe can move freely up and down in it's concrete coccoon.
It's just that the elbow is 8" into it's coccoon.
Sawzall blade sounds like the trick.

Thanx

On 11/4/03 9:00 PM, in article , "Speedy Jim"
wrote:

Vito Cavallo wrote:

[...]

Stormin Mormonn

It should be obvious to the readers of this news group that someone is
"cloning" or "spoofing" some serious posters.

I surely hope that no one out there is severely offended by the immature
writings of this troll. Whoever is doing the spoofing should remember that
this news group is not just for home owners.

I further wish to remind you that this news group is read by women,
children, and the occasional member of the priesthood. Please, when you
write, consider that you are being read by a wide assortment of readers.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

"Stormin Mormonn" wrote in message
Hi. This week I'm an expert pipe fitter. The last time I had a steam
pipe stuck in my ass I had to go to the union hall and have it removed.
The union gays lined up for blocks to get a chance at that one! Take my
advice and enjoy it as long as you can. It will work it's way out
eventually.

--
Christopher a. Bung
Learn more about Gay Mormon Boys

Liam McConn

Stormin Mormonn wrote:
It should be obvious to the readers of this news group that someone is
"cloning" or "spoofing" some serious posters.

No. what's obvious (to the 3-4 readers that haven't killfiled you yet)
is that you are an insignificant, insecure little toad that hasn't
decided upon a career yet.

I surely hope that no one out there is severely offended by the immature
writings of this troll. Whoever is doing the spoofing should remember that
this news group is not just for home owners.

I further wish to remind you that this news group is read by women,
children, and the occasional member of the priesthood. Please, when you
write, consider that you are being read by a wide assortment of readers.

And, you are a hypocrite.

--
Liam