CAStinneford

Default Comments about front-load washing machines

wrote:

Posted here as recommended in another news group: Could you please share
with us/me (personal replies are welcome to
, if you feel that
the group will not benefit), your experience in buying and using front-load
(as opposed to top-load with an agitator)?

Any comment is appreciated:
1. What make/s & model/s considered?
2. Where bought?
3. What machine was chosen? Make, model
4. User experience?
5. Need for care plan? (the extended warranty)
6. Any other tidbit/s, rebate/s, etc
7. Did the energy consumption agree with the label?
8. Typical got-ya in operating the washer (I'm familiar with the
sock-in-the-rubber-seal)
9. If you currently own one, and had some service/reliability issue/s,
please elaborate

My plan is to make the purchase within the next week or so, in order to take
advantage of the provincial PST rebate (OK, I just disclosed that I'm
located in Ontario )) ).

I've tried to use Consumers reports (last they reported was August 2003),
but found it to be very generic, not very informative, and no description of
how testing was done (what was the base line).

I'm responding because I have a front loader but I have never given buying a
washer the thought that you do so I don't think I'll be a great deal of help.
:-)

I have a GE and bought it because I wanted a washer that was in stockand I
could take it with me. My previous washer was a GE that lasted 18 years of
heavy use without needing any repairs. I needed a washer that had the controls
on the front so I could run a countertop across the top of the washer and
dryer. Bought it at a local NJ appliance store which won't help you. Did not
get any extended warranty. Have had it probably five or six years now. No
problems with it. Never had a sock or anything else in the rubber seal. Very
happy with it and would buy another one any time. The only thing to be sure of
is that the washer has to be absolutely level. As long as it's level, it works
great.
Art

Visit www.google.com and search this newsgroup. You can find plenty of
comments on front loaders. Use the GROUP page.

I owned a Neptune for 6 years and gave it to my parents and bought a Kenmore
(Whirlpool HE3T) because it is slightly bigger.

Both are excellent machines.

The Kenmore door is designed poorly and sometimes can lead to clothes being
trapped between the seal and door during fast spin and ruin your shirt. It
has happened to me and others though it is rare.

Some people complain early Neptunes were unreliable but mine was fine. My
first Kenmore had so many defects Sears picked it up and gave me a new one
which is fine.

Either is an excellent washer. For me the biggest advantage is no
transmission to break and large capacity. I would probably buy from Sears
or their equivalent in your part of the world. Any problem and they take it
back. Here they also match prices. I would not buy a Sears extended
warranty. Too expensive. I had none for the Maytag but in year 5 Maytag
offered me a 3 year one for $330 and I took it. Thought that something was
bound to break between year 5 thru 8 though so far nothing has.

"ns" wrote in message
Hello all,

[...]

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Betsy

I haven't had any luck with my Neptune, which is just about 2 years old and
has broken twice. The first time, the circuit board needed replacing. It
was free, but the labor wasn't! The second time he wasn't able to diagnose
the problem. I believe I still paid for that visit.

It also doesn't clean clothes nearly as well. I've tried several types of
detergents with similar results. The only way to get them really clean and
clean smelling is to run the extended cycle, thus negating any water
savings. Which, being a "greenie", is why I bought it.

Had I the money to do it again, I'd buy one of the new Whirlpools with the
new type agitation.

"ns" wrote in message
[...]

zxcvbob

ns wrote:
Hello all,

[...]

I have a Frigidaire (a.k.a Electrolux, Gibson, White, etc.) front-loader
and have had no problems with it. I got the one a mechanical timer switch
mounted on the back console, and electronic water temperature sensors that
control the mixing valve.

The only thing I don't like is the small door with the rubber seal that's
always in the way. And the door opens on the wrong side for my set-up.
These are minor nuisances though, not really problems. If the door were
reversable, the small port-hole with the rubber seal would be less bothersome.

I paid $650 for it a couple of years ago at Best Buy or Sears (I don't
remember which) and I got a $100 rebate from the power company.

I use regular detergent at 1/2 the recommended rate for most loads, and for
really filthy stuff I use either H.E. liquid detergent or a Purex tablet.

Best regards,
Bob
Darrell

I just bought the Bosch Axxis washer and dryer set. I chose it over the
Maytag and GE models because I’m so impressed with European engineering.
I chose the Bosch over the Asco brand because in my research I asked the
part guy which parts are more frequently ordered. He said by far Asco
brand. The clincher for me was when my friend who owns the Asco set
just had a $400 pump replaced under warranty and he only had it 14
months.

Here’s what I like most about the European brands v. American Brands.
The extra hot water settings the Europeans use by heating the already
hot water to 180 -210+ degrees makes for really bright whites. Add
water softener to the detergent and you’ll get brighter whites than
bleach could ever do.

I love the stackable or not stackable feature. I’m currently using mine
stacked with a handy roll out tray between them that I love. The dryer
is amazing. I can’t believe how fast clothes dry.

Do lots of research, do unconventional research. I’m a big fan of
extended Warranties. Plus consider that the Europeans have been
designing front
are designing superior products when it comes efficiency.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by
the tail and face the situation. -- WCF
http://www.utahhousevalues.com
kevins_news2

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:28:20 GMT, "ns" wrote:

Hello all,

Posted here as recommended in another news group: Could you please share
with us/me (personal replies are welcome to , if you feel that
the group will not benefit), your experience in buying and using front-load
(as opposed to top-load with an agitator)?

Here's what i learned from my initial research and the last two years
of owning.

Sears Kenmore front loader, about $1000, dial controls on front,
Waterloo Ontario.

Don't get sucked in by features.
- Most people won't ever use 75% of the different 'types' of wash
cycle. So paying more for a machine that has 4 more types isn't
usually worth it.
- Remember that the 'minimum water used per load' would only happen if
you were to try to wash a single shirt for example. But how often
does one do that? My machine didn't have the best 'minimum water'
usage but had a better average and maximum water usage than some
competing models of the same size. Since i always do full loads, that
was the more efficient model for me.
- Electric controls are much more likely to break down than dial
controls. And if the do break down, they are much more expensive to
replace.

If you plan on putting your dryer on the left hand side of you washer,
then getting one where the door can be fastened to swing open either
way might be handy. I know some models do. Mine doesn't but i have
my dryer on the right.

Otherwise i agree with everyone else. They're wonderful. They're
more efficient energy and water wise. They wash better. They spin
clothes dryer so that the dryer has less work to do. They're quieter.

Kevin

Art

Are you using HE detergent? All front loaders require it. According to CR,
all of the front loaders wash well with it.

What was the second break down?

"ns" wrote in message
[...]

Betsy

Yes, I've always used HE detergents.

The second breakdown (which is evidently still broken) is that it will not
spin unless at the last spin cycle. It dumps the water, starts to spin, but
cuts off.

nk.net...

"ns" wrote in message
[...]

Art

The circuit board may have changed the wash cycles if you had an older
model. They changed the cycle to improve washing. Did it happen right
after the board was changed?

Also how old is your model. If it is one of the early model it qualifies
for a bunch of free fixes. Call the 800 number on the machine and ask
Maytag if your machine is supposed to get the mildew fix. It includes a new
board, inner door, seal with drain and some other stuff for free.

"Betsy" -0 wrote in message
Yes, I've always used HE detergents.

The second breakdown (which is evidently still broken) is that it will not
spin unless at the last spin cycle. It dumps the water, starts to spin,

but
cuts off.

nk.net...

"ns" wrote in message
[...]

Patscga

I've had one for two years and love it. It saves me a lot of money on
detergent as it requires very little.
Pat
Art

Note that the HE detergents are more expensive per bottle.

"Patscga" wrote in message
I've had one for two years and love it. It saves me a lot of money on
detergent as it requires very little.
Pat

JhnWil875

Subject: Comments about front-load washing machines
From: "ns"
Date: 15/03/04 22:28 GMT Standard Time

I live in England and have a Front loading washing machine. I have never seen a
top loading washing machine apart from on a US website, I dont think that it is
possible to buy a top loader in England so I cant really compare Front Loaders
and Top Loaders however from what I have heard of US Top Loaders it would seem
that they are highly inefficient compared with UK Front Loaders.

US Top loaders seem to have some sort of clutch/gearbox arrangement which can
go wrong. UK Front Loaders dont have them.

US Top Loaders require an agitator which a Front Loader does not need as the
clothes are lifted out of the water by the rotation of the drum until they fall
back in the water, obviously with less water to heat there is less energy
consumption. UK washers fill with only the amount of water required for the
load which again saves energy and detergent.

I dont know why anyone would make a Top Loader as they seem inefficient to me.

My washing machine is a Candy Sprint 1000 and cost me £200, so far it has
worked fine and I have never heard of socks getting stuck in the door seal on
any Front Loading washing machine.

My energy consumption is slightly lower than on the label. I did not buy an
extended warranty as my credit card company automaticaly gives me a 2 year
warranty on new appliances for free. The only makes I considered were the
cheapest with a Grade A energy Efficiency and Wash rating, the Candy was £50
off at the time I bought it.

John.