Al

Default Unconventional window a/c installation

Hi,

I have a crawl space in my basement that I would like to use to store
wine. Unfortunately, it gets a bit to warm in the summer to properly
store the wine. I would like to put a window air conditioner in there
(there are no windows) to lower the temperature. The water would drip
in the sum pump hole. Would this work? Will the a/c do it's job in
these conditions or will it just be a waste of money and energy?

Thanks,

Alain

P.S. Please respond to my email address.
Charlie Bress

No. It will make the room warmer.

Replies are only sent to news groups.
That way everyone can see the answer.

"Al" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I have a crawl space in my basement that I would like to use to store
wine. Unfortunately, it gets a bit to warm in the summer to properly
store the wine. I would like to put a window air conditioner in there
(there are no windows) to lower the temperature. The water would drip
in the sum pump hole. Would this work? Will the a/c do it's job in
these conditions or will it just be a waste of money and energy?

Thanks,

Alain

P.S. Please respond to my email address.

Dan O.

Al wrote

I have a crawl space in my basement that I
would like to use to store wine. Unfortunately,
it gets a bit to warm in the summer to properly
store the wine. I would like to put a window air
conditioner in there (there are no windows) to
lower the temperature.

Would this work? Will the a/c do it's job in
these conditions

You mean without the air moving through the condenser going outdoors?
No, it will not cool the air and will actually end up making the area
hotter.

An air conditioner (or any refrigeration device) does not "make cold",
they simply *move* the heat from one area to another (while generating
heat themselves).

In an air conditioner the heat is absorbed in the front evaporator
coil and move to the rear condenser coil where outdoor air can take
that heat away. If you don't have that outdoor air to remove the heat,
it doesn't go anywhere.

BTW. In a refrigerator, the refrigeration system moves the heat from
inside the cabinet to the outside of the cabinet where the room air
absorbs it.

JFYI

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

David Efflandt

On 2 Mar 2004 06:19:14 -0800, Al wrote:
Hi,

I have a crawl space in my basement that I would like to use to store
wine. Unfortunately, it gets a bit to warm in the summer to properly
store the wine. I would like to put a window air conditioner in there
(there are no windows) to lower the temperature. The water would drip
in the sum pump hole. Would this work? Will the a/c do it's job in
these conditions or will it just be a waste of money and energy?

P.S. Please respond to my email address.

Best without a window would be a mini-split where you just need a small
hole to run pipes and power to small outdoor condenser. Considerably less
expensive, but still more expensive than a window shaker, would be a
portable unit that just needs a vent the size of a clothes dryer vent to
exhaust the hot air and moisture (condensate is used to cool the condenser
and most goes out the vent as vapor). You might need to drain water
occasionally in a damp basement, but all summer upstairs I accumulated
maybe 2 tablespoons of water.