K Man

Default Snowthrower won't starts when cold

Two years old small Sear(5hp)snowthrower wouldn't starts when cold
,took it back in the house for 10 minutes it started right away in the
frist pull,gas is new and i have put antifrzee(Heet)in it ,where to
look at for this problem?
vb53

If your's is a single stage, I have a similar unit and was having the
same problem. Another forum suggested a few things that I tried and
seem to work.

1. When you are done clearing snow, let the machine run for several
minutes at idle. the heat will help dry out the machine. If you put
it away wet, the moisture will freeze and lock up several areas of
the machine. Especially the starter spool (rope start). I actually
opened the system up and gave the whole thing a liberal spraying with
silicone spray which also seems to help. Don't use WD-40 as it will
freeze too.

2. I keep the thing as close to the house as I can. It's not much but
it helps.

3. Clean out the carburetor. Sounds like a Spring project to me
though..

Good luck.

(K Man) wrote in message . com...
Two years old small Sear(5hp)snowthrower wouldn't starts when cold
,took it back in the house for 10 minutes it started right away in the
frist pull,gas is new and i have put antifrzee(Heet)in it ,where to
look at for this problem?

Robert Barr

In a pinch, I use ether. Rarely fails.

You can also prop a 500-watt halogen light up against the crankcase,
unless your engine is buried in shrouding.

K Man wrote:

Two years old small Sear(5hp)snowthrower wouldn't starts when cold
,took it back in the house for 10 minutes it started right away in the
frist pull,gas is new and i have put antifrzee(Heet)in it ,where to
look at for this problem?

Dan

Amen to the clean out the carburetor suggestion. At the very least, run the
damned thing dry of fuel. I have a John Deere 5 horse I bought around '98
to replace a Tired Toro. Have used it sporadically, living in central Ohio.
Didn't need it for about 3 years (2 anyway), until last winter, when we got
about a foot. Put in new gas, wouldn't start. Would run for a spurt on
ether, then die. So I pulled the carb. Absolutely caked with the most
miserable dried on blue 2 cycle oil crud. Now I've cleaned quite a number of
filthy automotive carbs in my time, and gumout wouldn't even touch this
stuff. Got a bucket of carb dip at the auto parts store (after paying some
teenagers to shovel the drive) & soaked the damned thing for hours, blew all
the passages (or so I thought), looked fine. Put it all together, didn't
try it out until last week (didn't want to get more gas in there if I wasn't
going to use it for another year. Would run briefly on the primer bulb,
then die. Pulled the main jet at the bottom, it was STILL plugged. Had to
carefully work a toothpick & fine needle through the jet to open it up, then
spray with gumout, put it all back together & it started. This spring I'll
run it dry then remove the bowl & spray it all out with carb cleaner & let
it dry before reassembling.

BTW this machine has a 120V electric starter, only way to go IMHO. The hell
with that yanking a cord at 2 below!!! ;-)

Dan

"Klm" wrote in message
do is to change the spark plug, and in summer, give the carburetor a
good cleaning. Stick with the recommended gas-lube mix. Too much lube
fouls the spark plug.

Hot water from cold tap simulet UK diy 1 May 31st 04 11:10 PM
Low Cold Pressu Shower options Matt UK diy 23 April 5th 04 12:58 AM
Pipe run between Cold water tank and hot water cylinder. John Durham UK diy 3 March 3rd 04 10:02 AM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 01:59 PM