Matt

Default Low Cold Pressu Shower options

Hi, I wondered if anyone had a suggestion to help solve my shower
problem...

My flat is on the top (2nd) floor, with the cold water in the bathroom
fed from a communal tank in the roof. I have a combi boiler that
provides the hot water at a decent pressure.

The problem is that the cold water in the bathroom is at a much lower
pressure than the hot; and because of this, they do not mix when I'm
taking a shower. As soon as I turn on the hot water, I get a boiling
hot shower - even if the cold tap is fully open. Even with the hot
water temperature on the boiler at it's lowest setting, the shower is
far too hot to bear.

It has been suggested that I replace my shower with a mixer tap
(rather than being fed from the bath taps). Does anyone know if this
will solve the problem? I've been told I can't put a pump in because
it will interfere with the other people's tank-fed cold water supply.
Whilst I could change the supply to the bathroom so that it's mains
fed, I've been told by a plumber that doing this may drop the mains
pressure into my flat, so won't necessarily solve the problem.

Any suggestions gratefully received! getting up in the morning would
be so much easier with a decent shower!!
David W.E. Roberts

"Matt" wrote in message
om...
Hi, I wondered if anyone had a suggestion to help solve my shower
problem...

My flat is on the top (2nd) floor, with the cold water in the bathroom
fed from a communal tank in the roof. I have a combi boiler that
provides the hot water at a decent pressure.

snip
Whilst I could change the supply to the bathroom so that it's mains
fed, I've been told by a plumber that doing this may drop the mains
pressure into my flat, so won't necessarily solve the problem.

Actually, it will solve the initial problem.
Your problem is that you are trying to mix mains pressure and tank pressure.
This is usually not a good idea.
If you have mains pressure cold to your shower, then the mixer will work
fine, because the Combi is also at mains pressure.
You should still get a reasonable flow, because you will be drawing less hot
water once you mix in the cold.
Only problem is if the mains pressure is so low that it is below spec. for
the combi when a mains cold tap anywhere in the flat is turned on. You do
have mains cold in at least the kitchen, don't you, for drinking water? Not
a good idea to drink water from a storage tank! Think dead mouse.

Only other thing I can think of at the moment is to install your own cold
water storage tank, plus a booster pump, to give your own dedicated tank fed
(boosted) cold supply to the shower. However this seems like overkill.

HTH
Dave R

IMM

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Matt" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Not good advice. He has a combi which proves the maisn cold water pressure
is adequate. The shower mixer should be fed from the hot pipe from the
combi and the cold water mains, then both are at equal pressure.

John Rumm

IMM wrote:

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

If you have mains pressure cold to your shower, then the mixer will work
fine, because the Combi is also at mains pressure.
You should still get a reasonable flow, because you will be drawing less

Not good advice. He has a combi which proves the maisn cold water pressure
is adequate. The shower mixer should be fed from the hot pipe from the
combi and the cold water mains, then both are at equal pressure.

Erm - I think you will find he said that - try to keep up there's a good
man.

--
Cheers,

John.

IMM

"John Rumm" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

If you have mains pressure cold to your shower, then the mixer will work
fine, because the Combi is also at mains pressure.
You should still get a reasonable flow, because you will be drawing less

Not good advice. He has a combi which proves the maisn cold water

pressure
is adequate. The shower mixer should be fed from the hot pipe from the
combi and the cold water mains, then both are at equal pressure.

Erm - I think you will find he said that - try to keep up there's a good
man.

He said a lot of other crap. Take note laddie.

Lurch

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 14:47:58 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

Not good advice. He has a combi which proves the maisn cold water pressure
is adequate. The shower mixer should be fed from the hot pipe from the
combi and the cold water mains, then both are at equal pressure.

Have you been at the sherry?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
IMM

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 14:47:58 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

Not good advice. He has a combi which proves the maisn cold water

pressure
is adequate. The shower mixer should be fed from the hot pipe from the
combi and the cold water mains, then both are at equal pressure.

Have you been at the sherry?

You have been at the local ale house all day. That is clear.

Andy Hall

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 14:47:58 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Not good advice. He has a combi which proves the maisn cold water pressure
is adequate.

Really? How do you jump to that conclusion?

The shower mixer should be fed from the hot pipe from the
combi and the cold water mains, then both are at equal pressure.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Lurch

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 23:55:52 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 14:47:58 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Not good advice. He has a combi which proves the maisn cold water

pressure
is adequate.

Really? How do you jump to that conclusion?

It works.

If it works why is he asking how to fix it?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Lurch

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 23:30:14 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 14:47:58 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

Not good advice. He has a combi which proves the maisn cold water

pressure
is adequate. The shower mixer should be fed from the hot pipe from the
combi and the cold water mains, then both are at equal pressure.

Have you been at the sherry?

You have been at the local ale house all day. That is clear.

ROFLMFAOTIH
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
IMM

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 23:55:52 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 14:47:58 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Not good advice. He has a combi which proves the maisn cold water

pressure
is adequate.

Really? How do you jump to that conclusion?

It works.

If it works why is he asking how to fix it?

You are obviously not that bright. He has the cold water off a tank.

Lurch

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 00:34:48 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 23:55:52 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 14:47:58 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Not good advice. He has a combi which proves the maisn cold water
pressure
is adequate.

Really? How do you jump to that conclusion?

It works.

If it works why is he asking how to fix it?

You are obviously not that bright. He has the cold water off a tank.

I'm fick me.
I can't see which part of Davids reply you're disagreeing with. Why
won't it work?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
IMM

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 23:55:52 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 14:47:58 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Not good advice. He has a combi which proves the maisn cold water
pressure
is adequate.

Really? How do you jump to that conclusion?

It works.

If it works why is he asking how to fix it?

You are obviously not that bright. He has the cold water off a tank.

I'm fick me.
I can't see which part of Davids reply you're disagreeing with. Why
won't it work?

Hot is high pressure and cold is low pressure.

John Rumm

IMM wrote:

He said a lot of other crap. Take note laddie.

Well you would be the expert on that....

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

IMM wrote:

"Lurch" wrote in message

I'm fick me.
I can't see which part of Davids reply you're disagreeing with. Why
won't it work?

Hot is high pressure and cold is low pressure.

Pay attention at the back....

David said, either user a cold mains feed - so hot and cold are both at
high pressure,

OR,

Install an extra dedicated cold tank (so as not to interfear with the
other flats cold feed), and use a PUMP on that feed, so hot and cold are
both at high pressure.

So where in those two suggestions did you manage to read advice that the
high pressure hot should be combined with low pressure cold?

(I feel rule of thumb #4 coming on)

--
Cheers,

John.

Matt

Thanks Dave, I'll go with that and get the guy back to plumb the cold
mains into the bathroom. The cold mains pressure seems quite
reasonable; and the combi works fine when the cold mains-fed kitchen
tap is wide open.

Matt

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message ...
Only problem is if the mains pressure is so low that it is below spec. for
the combi when a mains cold tap anywhere in the flat is turned on. You do
have mains cold in at least the kitchen, don't you, for drinking water? Not
a good idea to drink water from a storage tank! Think dead mouse.

Only other thing I can think of at the moment is to install your own cold
water storage tank, plus a booster pump, to give your own dedicated tank fed
(boosted) cold supply to the shower. However this seems like overkill.

HTH
Dave R

David W.E. Roberts

"Matt" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Makes me wonder why the plumber didn't want to do it in the first place -
too much like hard work?

Was (s)he the one who suggested a mixer tap?
This would be an easy job and not solve the problem :-)
[i.e. feeding a shower mixer (or any other mixer) with high pressure hot and
low pressure cold.]

Could just be a major exercise in butt covering in case the end result was
not what you expected.

Probably worth double checking why the plumber didn't want to connect cold
mains to the shower - like perhaps there isn't a mains feed anywhere near it
and it would involve a lot of hackery to get mains cold to the shower.

If in doubt, it may be safer to get a second opinion (assuming you have
reasonable access to another plumber).

Definite "Hmmmm......." moment - if the solution seems obvious to most on
this NG from the information posted, and yet the suggestion has been at
least partially rejected by the plumber, is there something we have missed?

However, don't get too paranoid (just paranoid enought) :-)

Cheers
Dave R

David W.E. Roberts

"John Rumm" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

"Lurch" wrote in message

I'm fick me.
I can't see which part of Davids reply you're disagreeing with. Why
won't it work?

Hot is high pressure and cold is low pressure.

Pay attention at the back....

David said, either user a cold mains feed - so hot and cold are both at
high pressure,

OR,

Install an extra dedicated cold tank (so as not to interfear with the
other flats cold feed), and use a PUMP on that feed, so hot and cold are
both at high pressure.

So where in those two suggestions did you manage to read advice that the
high pressure hot should be combined with low pressure cold?

(I feel rule of thumb #4 coming on)

Go team!
Beat that ugly Troll!!

Damn, I think he is enjoying it :-(

Hell with it.
Go team!

IMM

"John Rumm" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

"Lurch" wrote in message

I'm fick me.
I can't see which part of Davids reply you're disagreeing with. Why
won't it work?

Hot is high pressure and cold is low pressure.

Pay attention at the back....

David said, either user a cold mains feed - so hot and cold are both at
high pressure,

OR,

Install an extra dedicated cold tank (so as not to interfear with the
other flats cold feed), and use a PUMP on that feed, so hot and cold are
both at high pressure.

So where in those two suggestions did you manage to read advice that the
high pressure hot should be combined with low pressure cold?

I never. Recommending a pump when one is clearly not required is well...

IMM

"John Rumm" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

"Lurch" wrote in message

[...]

Have you been at the whiskey?

Lurch

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 21:33:24 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

Have you been at the whiskey?

Can't you think of your own witty one liners then? Changing one word
doesn't make it different enough to be new!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
John Rumm

IMM wrote:

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"John Rumm" wrote in message
. ..

(I feel rule of thumb #4 coming on)

Go team!
Beat that ugly Troll!!

Damn, I think he is enjoying it :-(

Hell with it.
Go team!

Have you been at the whiskey?

Hook, line, sinker, and copy of angling times! Damn this is too easy ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

So I said:

So where in those two suggestions did you manage to read advice that
the high pressure hot should be combined with low pressure cold?

IMM wrote:

I never.

Short term memory loss?

In IMM's reply to Lurch he said:

Hot is high pressure and cold is low pressure.

--
Cheers,

John.

Gravity fed Shower mixer ; cold from mains, hot from cylinder tank Ghazali UK diy 5 February 16th 04 12:22 PM
Shower unit running warm and cold CU UK diy 4 February 6th 04 08:13 PM
shower pressure Louigi Cornetto UK diy 1 September 1st 03 07:14 PM
Venturi shower pressure problem Mark Trueman UK diy 0 July 19th 03 11:19 AM