Perry

Default The good, better, best fenceposts.

I am in extreme South Louisiana. Wanting to build a fence. One side will
be 6' high (100' long). One side will be 8' high (50' long). I am using
metal panels for fencing. The kind that is so popular for roofing.
What is the best recommendation for fenceposts. Schedule 40 pipe, cemented.
4x4 treated wood, or 6x6 treated wood. How far in the ground? Gravel in
the bottom of the holes?
Because of our humidity, rust is a problem. But also, rot in wood...so it's
a catch 22.
Any suggestions?
Perry

zxcvbob

Perry wrote:
I am in extreme South Louisiana. Wanting to build a fence. One side will
be 6' high (100' long). One side will be 8' high (50' long). I am using
metal panels for fencing. The kind that is so popular for roofing.
What is the best recommendation for fenceposts. Schedule 40 pipe, cemented.
4x4 treated wood, or 6x6 treated wood. How far in the ground? Gravel in
the bottom of the holes?
Because of our humidity, rust is a problem. But also, rot in wood...so it's
a catch 22.
Any suggestions?
Perry

How about concrete posts? Make a few wooden forms and pour a bunch of
posts. Don't forget to embed some kind of tie wires or bolts to attach
the panels.

Can you still get creosote 4x4's?

Bob
SQLit

"Perry" wrote in message
. ..
I am in extreme South Louisiana. Wanting to build a fence. One side will
be 6' high (100' long). One side will be 8' high (50' long). I am using
metal panels for fencing. The kind that is so popular for roofing.
What is the best recommendation for fenceposts. Schedule 40 pipe,

cemented.
4x4 treated wood, or 6x6 treated wood. How far in the ground? Gravel in
the bottom of the holes?
Because of our humidity, rust is a problem. But also, rot in wood...so

it's
a catch 22.
Any suggestions?
Perry

Metal panels, South Louisiana, Hurricanes, hummmmmm seems risky to me. I
would be talking to some local contractors first. Wind loading might be a
problem.

My guesstimate for the metal schedule 40 posts is 2-2.5 feet deep for the 6
footers and 3-3.5 feet deep for the 8. Pour in a bit of concrete and then
put the post in (3-4 inches). Make sure that the post is filled inside with
the concrete. I would pour it a bit runny to be sure.

Chain link and slats might be less of a wind load.

what can I expect from a "good" lumberyard? igor Woodworking 4 July 7th 04 08:45 PM
Good sawmills - northern Minnestoa James Van Vleet Woodworking 3 May 23rd 04 06:54 PM
Good Pulley Subw00er Woodworking 4 February 12th 04 05:09 AM
Is this a good deal HomeBrewer Woodworking 7 February 5th 04 01:50 AM
Avoiding brush stokes - getting a good painted finish Frank W UK diy 5 August 21st 03 03:59 PM