Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Bill Leska

Default Silly Question about Installing Tile in a Bathroom

We have a small half bath that is carpeted. The lavatory sink is mounted on
a pedestal.

The carpeting in the room goes up to the edge of the toilet and the
pedestal.

I have to replace the sink and pedestal. (Something got dropped into the
sink and cracked it.)

Since we're doing the sink, we've been thinking about taking out the carpet
and replacing it with ceramic tile. (It's unlikely that we could get a
pedestal that wouldn't require a carpet modification to install.

Here's the silly question:

Does the tile get installed first, and then the pedestal and sink get
installed on top of the tile, or does the sink and pedestal get installed
first and the tile brought up to the edge of the pedestal?

The same question applies for the toilet. Do I need to pull the toilet and
install the tile, or tile right to the edge of the toilet?

I've looked in our other bathrooms, but those have linoleum in the wet
areas, so I can't tell whether the linoleum goes under the toilet or just up
to the edge of it.

Thanks.

Bill L