L Beck

Default Silly Question about Installing Tile in a Bathroom

Home Depot has a really good book titled Home Improvement 1-2-3 that covers
everything, including toilet replacement and ceramic floor tiling. They
also have specific 1-2-3 books for specific tasks - i.e. plumbing or floors.
They also have some very knowledgable associates that can give you some good
advice.

We are right in the midst of doing exactly what you are talking about. But
our task just got a lot worse when we pulled up the toilet and found that
the old metal flange was rusted away, and some of the old subfloor and
underlayment that was used when the house was built was water damaged.
We're having to cut out part of that flooring and get down to the sewer pipe
so that we can also replace that. But when we're done we'll be very glad
that we went to the trouble. If we'd have cheated and just tiled up to the
toilet, we never would have known that the floor and flange were in such bad
shape.

So, follow what the experts tell you. It may end up being a little more
work, but it can save some real problems later down the road.

Regarding bringing the tile to the carpet - we were advised by multiple
source to get a "Schluter" bar - part of it goes under the tile with the
thinset, and then the tiles butts up against a upward piece. This goes
right up agains the carpet. We're told that we shouldn't need anything
else. Haven't got that far yet ourselves, but that's what we're planning to
do.

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message ...
Paul Furman wrote:

Bill Leska wrote:

Does the tile get installed first, and then the pedestal and sink get
installed on top of the tile

Yup. Then you can change the toilet/sink again some day.

Agreed. Rip it all out to the bare walls.
Keep in mind that you may need to add another layer of
flooring (ply/cement board as example) in order to have enough floor
rigidity so that the new tile doesn't break up in 6 mos.

Do some research on floor tiling.

Jim