Bob P.

Default Plugged Tub Drain

Well' the tub drain has been plugged for three days now, and the
family is getting kind of grubby. I fought with it all weekend.
Here's what I know/did: 80 year home, tub clogged. First tried drain
cleaner - no work. Then tried plunging - no work - but I did succeed
in causing a bunch of leaks around the tub drain which caused me to
replace the tub drain and overflow, but that's another story. Finally
discovered a clean-out in a linen closet adjacent to the bathroom.
Ascertained that the "U" from the tub to the clean-out is not clogged.
Tried to rout-out from the clean-out to wherever, maybe 15 feet, and
it's still plugged solid. My basement ceiling is plastered so I can't
see any piping except for what I tore up yesterday. Any ideas before
I call a plumber? How about drain cleaner from the clean-out to
wherever?

Thanks in advance.
jim

Bob P. wrote:

[...]

keep pouring the chemicals in the drain and you gonna eat the pipe up
and really need a plumber...
Speedy Jim

Bob P. wrote:

[...]

Rent a small powered drain clean auger: hand-held, looks like a drill.
(You can buy a snake-in-a-drum to fit on a drill but these are usually
too small for this job.)

I'm not a fan of the pipe-eating chemicals; you probably have
ancient galvanized iron drain pipe.

Jim
Stormin Mormonn

Maybe a longer snake? They also make expanding blubble gadgets to fit on the
end of a garden hose. Turn the water on, and the bubble expands and keeps
shooting water.

Longer snake sounds like a good idea.

Might also be able to get some drain cleaner into the pipe with a funnel and
a long, thin hose?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

"Bob P." wrote in message
om...
[...]

Childfree Scott

My basement ceiling is plastered so I can't
see any piping except for what I tore up yesterday.

I'd say that's part of your problem. Having a ceiling in the basement
is pointless.

I recently used a mechanical drain cleaner (The Rigid tool one that
Home Depot sells for ~20-something bucks; I think it's 25 feet long).
I used it 5 times and got clumps of hair 3 times and nothing 2 times.
So you might need to try it a few times or use a longer one as someone
else already suggested.

mwlogs

Why is a basement ceiling "pointless"? If the area is finished as living
space, it seems reasonable. Beside, what if his bath had been on the second
floor. He'd have the same problem.

"Childfree Scott" wrote in message
om...
My basement ceiling is plastered so I can't
see any piping except for what I tore up yesterday.

I'd say that's part of your problem. Having a ceiling in the basement
is pointless.

I recently used a mechanical drain cleaner (The Rigid tool one that
Home Depot sells for ~20-something bucks; I think it's 25 feet long).
I used it 5 times and got clumps of hair 3 times and nothing 2 times.
So you might need to try it a few times or use a longer one as someone
else already suggested.

DaveG

"Bob P." wrote in message
om...
[...]

Call in a pro, they'll have it snaked out in a jiffy. Sure it'll run you
some bucks, but it beats the hell out of loosing the use of your bathtub.
Either that or rent a snake and try it yourself.
Dave