Speedy Jim

Default Plugged Tub Drain

Bob P. wrote:

Well' the tub drain has been plugged for three days now, and the
family is getting kind of grubby. I fought with it all weekend.
Here's what I know/did: 80 year home, tub clogged. First tried drain
cleaner - no work. Then tried plunging - no work - but I did succeed
in causing a bunch of leaks around the tub drain which caused me to
replace the tub drain and overflow, but that's another story. Finally
discovered a clean-out in a linen closet adjacent to the bathroom.
Ascertained that the "U" from the tub to the clean-out is not clogged.
Tried to rout-out from the clean-out to wherever, maybe 15 feet, and
it's still plugged solid. My basement ceiling is plastered so I can't
see any piping except for what I tore up yesterday. Any ideas before
I call a plumber? How about drain cleaner from the clean-out to
wherever?

Thanks in advance.

Rent a small powered drain clean auger: hand-held, looks like a drill.
(You can buy a snake-in-a-drum to fit on a drill but these are usually
too small for this job.)

I'm not a fan of the pipe-eating chemicals; you probably have
ancient galvanized iron drain pipe.

Jim