TigerPaw40

Default House smells after using fireplace

Have a wood burning fireplace in family room of a house recently purchased.
After burning Duraflame or Northland logs the next morning the house smells
like a campfire doused with water. THe odor last 2-3 days. I have tried leaving
the flue open till the next morning and closing it an hour or so after logs are
burned up. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Rileyesi

Have a wood burning fireplace in family room of a house recently purchased.
After burning Duraflame or Northland logs the next morning the house smells
like a campfire doused with water. THe odor last 2-3 days. I have tried

leaving
the flue open till the next morning and closing it an hour or so after logs

are
burned up. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Sounds like inadequate draft.
If you have been closing the damper, try leaving it open.
Alternatively, the chimney height or placement may promote downdraft.

My brother has the same problem. They've had the chimney cleaned several times
with no luck. The last one told them that he thought the chimney height and
proximity to the roof might be causing a down draft in the flue.

Is there a fan or something that can be added to the chimney?? Or are they
just stuck to not being able to use the fireplace?

Java Man (Espressopithecus)

In article , tigerpaw40
@aol.com says...
Have a wood burning fireplace in family room of a house recently purchased.
After burning Duraflame or Northland logs the next morning the house smells
like a campfire doused with water. THe odor last 2-3 days. I have tried leaving
the flue open till the next morning and closing it an hour or so after logs are
burned up. Any ideas what could be causing this?

It sounds like low pressure in the house (possibly caused by vent hood,
bathroom fans, furnace?) is drawing cold air down your chimney and
bringing chimney odors in with it. It could even be as simple as the
chimney being on an outside wall, cooling off overnight, and the cold
air in the chimney falling into the house.

Most flues are not air tight enough to prevent either of these.

Rick

House we had smoked with fire and to correct we should have added
about a foot to chimney height. Prevailing breeze went over peak of
roof and down the chimney.

On 13 Nov 2003 18:53:37 GMT, (Rileyesi) wrote:

My brother has the same problem. They've had the chimney cleaned several times
with no luck. The last one told them that he thought the chimney height and
proximity to the roof might be causing a down draft in the flue.

Ron

Some additional thoughts to ponder:

My own opinion is that Duraflame or Northland type logs really are not very
good to burn. I don't know what temperature they burn at as compared to dry
hard wood but, it doesn't appear to be as hot and you do need a temperature
high enough to create the updraft in the chimney.

If your house is well sealed, then you might be encountering a problem of
not having sufficient air for the fireplace to work properly. A very simple
experiment will tell you if this is the case. Crack a window or door open
and light the fire in the fireplace. All the smoke and odours should go
straight up the chimney once there is sufficient heat in the chimney to
produce the updraft.

We had a very large fireplace for the size of the house and this worked
wonders.

If the problem is that air is being forced down the chimney past the closed
damper when there isn't a fire in the fireplace, check that the damper is
clean (even if a chimney sweep claimed to have cleaned it), and make sure
that it is closing properly. If those two items check out, you MAY benefit
from a chimney cap that looks like a tube on its side. I never needed one
but am told that it sets up a negative pressure in the chimney when the wind
blows thereby drawing air up the chimney instead of blowing down the
chimney.

Hope this helps
--
Ron
Port Dover Ontario

"Rileyesi" wrote in message
[...]

Frogleg

(TigerPaw40) wrote

Have a wood burning fireplace in family room of a house recently purchased.
After burning Duraflame or Northland logs the next morning the house smells
like a campfire doused with water. THe odor last 2-3 days. I have tried leaving
the flue open till the next morning and closing it an hour or so after logs are
burned up. Any ideas what could be causing this?

I've always found that fireplace smells linger. I expect a glass door
arrangement would minimize this. No one has posted that *they* have no
lingering odors. I don't have a kitchen exhaust, and certain food
odors, particularly *any* sort of frying, hang around for quite a
while, even with open windows. Obviously, fresh air circulation and
exhaust are important, but it *may* be that certain odors are the
price you pay for a fire. If I could keep the smoke/scent of burning
pinon in my house for *weeks*, I'd be pleased. A log of pressed
sawdust and petroleum? Maybe not.
Steve

you can always use your tongue to clean it after every use.

TigerPaw40

The chimney has been cleaned, the previous owner left the receipt for me, was
cleaned last spring. The chimney is a double, joins the fireplace on the 1st
floor. It has gas logs.
I do have trouble getting an updraft before I light the fire. I have to open
the door that leads up the stairs to the outside. Once the fire is going I
close the door. Since it gets very cold in the room. I can see the smoke up
drafting when the fire is going, I wonder if when the fire cools, the downdraft
comes back. This fireplace is in the basement family room; I can't ever
remember seeing a basement fireplace. I really need help with this one, it's
been my dream for years of having a home with a fireplace and would like to
solve this problem.
Thanks

Anon Ymous

Check to see if the vent stack is stopped up. The toilet will "belch" sewer
gas if there is no venting.

"Steve" wrote in message
you can always use your tongue to clean it after every use.

WARRENRN1

he chimney is a double, joins the fireplace on the 1st
floor. It has gas logs.
I do have trouble getting an updraft before I light the fire. I have to open
the door that leads up the stairs to the outside. Once the fire is going I
close the door. Since it gets very cold in the room. I can see the smoke up
drafting when the fire is going, I wonder if when the fire cools, the
downdraft
comes back. This fireplace is in the basement family room; I can't ever
remember seeing a basement fireplace.

i had a similar problem a few years back.... the chimney sweep came out and
cleaned the chimney and everything was good to go. or at least so i thought.
everytime SWMBO torched a fire.... it would take forever to get the draft
started, but after a while the room would fill up with smoke and i would come
down and close the fireplace glass doors, and open windows to clear the
smoke...
finally had someone come out to check the fireplace itself.... turns out the
rachet for the flue opener was broken and eventho the handle was in the full
open position, the flue was only opening about an inch.
the repair was simple... the guy took out the out cast iron flue and put a
damper ON TOP of the chimney with a stainless steel pull down wire.
now the things draws like a charm...helps to have an 12 inch OPEN flue to work
with. when the fire is dead out, we reach in and pull down the wire and it
seals the chimney at the top.... no more birds or critters visiting us
either.....
BTW... our fireplace is in the basement.

Terry

WARRENRN1 wrote:

[...]

ratchet for the flue opener was broken and eventho the handle was in the full
open position, the flue was only opening about an inch.
the repair was simple... the guy took out the out cast iron flue and put a
damper ON TOP of the chimney with a stainless steel pull down wire.
now the things draws like a charm...helps to have an 12 inch OPEN flue to work
with. when the fire is dead out, we reach in and pull down the wire and it
seals the chimney at the top.... no more birds or critters visiting us
either.....
BTW... our fireplace is in the basement.

Warren: I've been looking for something like that; that is shut
to off the TOP of the chimney remotely; thought I'd have to make
one!
Something like yours, our 'damper' and its actuator had corroded
away after a few years.
Many thanks if you can help provide a product name or a contact
for such a device.
Terry.
John Eagan

Java Man (Espressopithecus) wrote in message able.net...
In article , tigerpaw40
@aol.com says...
Have a wood burning fireplace in family room of a house recently purchased.
After burning Duraflame or Northland logs the next morning the house smells
like a campfire doused with water. THe odor last 2-3 days. I have tried leaving
the flue open till the next morning and closing it an hour or so after logs are
burned up. Any ideas what could be causing this?

There are many good possibilties in the above explantions. My
fireplace also
had lingering wood fire odors, but the reason was a little different.
The brick facade on our fireplace had, over time, become detached from
the main block of chimney masonary. The only thing holding it up was
the mantle. There was enough of a separation that hot gas/flames from
the fire leaked between the rows of brick and was scorching the back
of the paneling and the furing strips the the paneling was nailed to.
I discovered this when we were painting the family room and I decided
to take the mantle down and replace it with a different style.
I always thought that the smell was the result of chimney downdraft
issues.
I have re-mortared the bricks and am in the process of replacing the
paneling with drywall.
You should check and see that there are no leaks of hot gas anywhere
around your masonry that could be scorching/burning any
framing,paneling or anything that will burn.
Hope this helps
John

John Galbreath

I carry them. Look on this page:

http://www.FireLogs.com/Lyemance.htm
http://www.FireLogs.com/Literature-Lyemance.htm

Note: This is a commercial website.

--
John Galbreath Jr.
http://www.firelogs.com/

Irondale, Alabama
888.321.Logs

"Terry" wrote in message
WARRENRN1 wrote:

[...]

George E. Cawthon

WARRENRN1 wrote:

[...]

Fireplaces aren't 20th and 21st century automatic devices.
Before you start the fire you are suppose to open the damper
and then stick you head in and see if you see any light
above. If you don't, it's either night, so wait until the
next day, or something is wrong that needs to be fixed.
Starting a fire without checking the damper is like getting
in a car and driving away with flat tires and wondering why
the ride is bumpy.
David

"Redneck" wrote in message ...
WTF? what gives? what can I do??
"TigerPaw40" wrote in message
Have a wood burning fireplace in family room of a house recently

purchased.
After burning Duraflame or Northland logs the next morning the house

smells
like a campfire doused with water. THe odor last 2-3 days. I have tried

leaving
the flue open till the next morning and closing it an hour or so after

logs are
burned up. Any ideas what could be causing this?

flush.

I couldn't resist!