Tom Baker

Default House smells after using fireplace

(TigerPaw40) wrote in message ...
The chimney has been cleaned, the previous owner left the receipt for me, was
cleaned last spring. The chimney is a double, joins the fireplace on the 1st
floor. It has gas logs.
I do have trouble getting an updraft before I light the fire. I have to open
the door that leads up the stairs to the outside. Once the fire is going I
close the door. Since it gets very cold in the room. I can see the smoke up
drafting when the fire is going, I wonder if when the fire cools, the downdraft
comes back. This fireplace is in the basement family room; I can't ever
remember seeing a basement fireplace. I really need help with this one, it's
been my dream for years of having a home with a fireplace and would like to
solve this problem.
Thanks

We have a three story house with fire places on each floor. They work
o.k.
since you have to open the door to get make up air, perhaps you need
an intake from outside.

TB