TigerPaw40

Default House smells after using fireplace

The chimney has been cleaned, the previous owner left the receipt for me, was
cleaned last spring. The chimney is a double, joins the fireplace on the 1st
floor. It has gas logs.
I do have trouble getting an updraft before I light the fire. I have to open
the door that leads up the stairs to the outside. Once the fire is going I
close the door. Since it gets very cold in the room. I can see the smoke up
drafting when the fire is going, I wonder if when the fire cools, the downdraft
comes back. This fireplace is in the basement family room; I can't ever
remember seeing a basement fireplace. I really need help with this one, it's
been my dream for years of having a home with a fireplace and would like to
solve this problem.
Thanks