WARRENRN1

Default House smells after using fireplace

he chimney is a double, joins the fireplace on the 1st
floor. It has gas logs.
I do have trouble getting an updraft before I light the fire. I have to open
the door that leads up the stairs to the outside. Once the fire is going I
close the door. Since it gets very cold in the room. I can see the smoke up
drafting when the fire is going, I wonder if when the fire cools, the
downdraft
comes back. This fireplace is in the basement family room; I can't ever
remember seeing a basement fireplace.

i had a similar problem a few years back.... the chimney sweep came out and
cleaned the chimney and everything was good to go. or at least so i thought.
everytime SWMBO torched a fire.... it would take forever to get the draft
started, but after a while the room would fill up with smoke and i would come
down and close the fireplace glass doors, and open windows to clear the
smoke...
finally had someone come out to check the fireplace itself.... turns out the
rachet for the flue opener was broken and eventho the handle was in the full
open position, the flue was only opening about an inch.
the repair was simple... the guy took out the out cast iron flue and put a
damper ON TOP of the chimney with a stainless steel pull down wire.
now the things draws like a charm...helps to have an 12 inch OPEN flue to work
with. when the fire is dead out, we reach in and pull down the wire and it
seals the chimney at the top.... no more birds or critters visiting us
either.....
BTW... our fireplace is in the basement.