Chuckles

Default circ pump noise? (hot water heat)

In our new house, which I am still exploring, there is hot water heat
with two zones (two pumps, one boiler).

One of the pumps, while not noisier than the other one when I'm
standing next to them, creates a sound all over the house (even in the
other zone). It is a low drdrdrdrdr sound like a cheap motor scooter
in the distance.

It's a B&G "Little Red" pump, 1/20 hp, for heating maybe 400 sq ft (a
newer addition). It appears to work OK (delivers heat). It has been
lubricated.

Is it the pump, or something in its connection to the rest of the
system?

If the pump, are these pumps by any chance "hot-swappable" (i.e.
chageable without draining the system)? It seems to have one piece
inline with the water, and the rest of the pump is mounted onto that
piece from the side, but I don't know if it can be disassembled at
that point.

Note, again, that the pump isn't particularly noisy when I am standing
next to it. I don't know if that means anything.
Dr. Hardcrab

Chuckles wrote:

One of the pumps, while not noisier than the other one when I'm
standing next to them, creates a sound all over the house (even in the
other zone). It is a low drdrdrdrdr sound like a cheap motor scooter
in the distance.

Smack it real good with a hammer and the drdrdrdrdr (isn't that the
sound a stuttering doctor makes???) sound will turn to a puttaputtaputta
sound (more like a small horsepower trolling motor).

;-]

If the pump, are these pumps by any chance "hot-swappable" (i.e.
chageable without draining the system)?

depends on whether there are shutoff valves on either side of it. It
could be air in the loop causing it to "cavitate" or is could be the
bearing assembly going bad or it could be several other reason. If it is
really noticeable and irritating, you may want to call in a good
contactor to check the system out such as giving it a good clean &
service. When they do, show them what it is doing.

HeatMan

would you like a list of all the pumps B&G sells under the 'little red'
name?
Is it a cartridge pump? is it close coupled (probably not, but possible),
etc...

"James Storm" wrote in message
I take it you never seen a "Little Red" heat man.
Small throw away pump like Taco 007.

--
Stormy
"HeatMan" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Can you read the model number of the circ? It may be a close coupled

circ
that can be changed easily....

"Chuckles" wrote in message
om...
[...]

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Chuckles

"HeatMan" wrote in message thlink.net...
would you like a list of all the pumps B&G sells under the 'little red'
name?

There are only two. One is a potable water pump (LR15), which leaves
only one for hydronic use, LR20BF, which is what I have. If you have a
longer list, don't hesitate to post it here.

I did find a web page for a supply store that said these were
throwaway pumps, and this is confirmed by the fact that B&G doesn't
provide instructions or sell bearing replacement parts. So I will
replace the whole pump, which is something I can do myself without too
much trouble. The new pump will cost $140 by mail, with shipping.

HeatMan

"Chuckles" wrote in message
m...
"HeatMan" wrote in message

thlink.net...
would you like a list of all the pumps B&G sells under the 'little red'
name?

There are only two. One is a potable water pump (LR15), which leaves
only one for hydronic use, LR20BF, which is what I have. If you have a
longer list, don't hesitate to post it here.

Actually there are 4. BTW, the LR15, unless you forgot to add the 'BF,' is
not for potable water. It's an iron bodied circ.

I did find a web page for a supply store that said these were
throwaway pumps, and this is confirmed by the fact that B&G doesn't
provide instructions or sell bearing replacement parts. So I will
replace the whole pump, which is something I can do myself without too
much trouble. The new pump will cost $140 by mail, with shipping.

Yeah it is a throw away. Buy 2. I've heard that B&G are about to
discontinue manufacture of that line. I don't believe it, but I've heard it
from a couple of different sources.