c_kubie

Default Who Makes a good Ext. French Door

I'm looking for a manufactuer that makes a good quality (hopefully
reasonable cost) french door. (no Pella)

I also need it 60"x80"... not the standard 72" width that is normal.

So far the only manufactuer I have found is Kolbe and Kolbe vinyl...

Any suggestions?

C_kubie
MSH

I got one at Lowes just like you asked, a steel 5'er for about $400
w/screens. Installed it has been good. Not outstanding but you get what you
pay for. Not sure but I think they were dropping the 5'er. Special ordered
was about $150 more.

MH
"c_kubie" wrote in message
om...
I'm looking for a manufactuer that makes a good quality (hopefully
reasonable cost) french door. (no Pella)

I also need it 60"x80"... not the standard 72" width that is normal.

So far the only manufactuer I have found is Kolbe and Kolbe vinyl...

Any suggestions?

C_kubie

mark Ransley

Whats wrong with pella

mark Ransley

Whats wrong with pella

Arin

"'nuther Bob" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:40:13 -0700, "MSH" mnd@jaacom wrote:

I got one at Lowes just like you asked, a steel 5'er for about $400
w/screens. Installed it has been good. Not outstanding but you get what

you
pay for. Not sure but I think they were dropping the 5'er. Special

ordered
was about $150 more.

Do you mean French as in "both doors open" or "one door opens on a
hinge" ? (BTW - we call them "Freedom doors" now, or at least
"Indefinite military stay going downhill and reversing ourselves
and asking the French and Soviets for help at the UN" doors)

Ha!Ha!

actually they are called "swinger" doors that have 1 hinged door
(that must be the French way)!

snip

Be sure to price the hardware, screens, and grills if you need them.
Also be aware that screens are an issue with a "both open"
arrangement.

Bob

these are the different options
French,swinger,sliding
http://www.peachtreedoor.com/products.html

ryan

You might try some of the local lumber yard. I bought some inside freedom
doors and some regular doors, they are probably not the quality that you
want, but the freedom doors cost 124.00 total for 5 foot wide when Home
Depot for pretty much the same doors were over 100.00 more. Mind I had them
cut the casing around them narrower. I was please with them and this group
also. Ryan
"'nuther Bob" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:40:13 -0700, "MSH" mnd@jaacom wrote:

I got one at Lowes just like you asked, a steel 5'er for about $400
w/screens. Installed it has been good. Not outstanding but you get what

you
pay for. Not sure but I think they were dropping the 5'er. Special

ordered
was about $150 more.

Do you mean French as in "both doors open" or "on door opens on a
hinge" ? (BTW - we call them "Freedom doors" now, or at least
"Indefinite military stay going downhill and reversing ourselves
and asking the French and Soviets for help at the UN" doors)

I looked around recently. The doors at Lowes were crap, IMHO.

Home Depot carries the Masonite line and Atrium line in a
"one opens" type of Freedom door. "Both open" are a special
order. Since they don't buy those in bulk, you pay about $200 more
for a SO.

The Masonite door they _stock_ is steel, matches the Stanley steel
line well. About $500, AFAIR. Nice door, well made for the price.
The only reason that I might (personally) avoid it is that it has a
"rot resistant" wood frame and I think I need "rot proof" in my app.
Masonite also makes a fiberglass with a full vinyl frame... about
$200 more since it's special order.

The Atrium folks apparently lost their reputation a few years ago
but are attempting a comeback. Their door appears to be very well
made and solid. Aluminum clad outer, wood interior. Heavy, well
made. Closes solidly, almost to tight a seal. About $800, again,
AFAIR.