ryan

Default Who Makes a good Ext. French Door

You might try some of the local lumber yard. I bought some inside freedom
doors and some regular doors, they are probably not the quality that you
want, but the freedom doors cost 124.00 total for 5 foot wide when Home
Depot for pretty much the same doors were over 100.00 more. Mind I had them
cut the casing around them narrower. I was please with them and this group
also. Ryan
"'nuther Bob" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:40:13 -0700, "MSH" mnd@jaacom wrote:

I got one at Lowes just like you asked, a steel 5'er for about $400
w/screens. Installed it has been good. Not outstanding but you get what

you
pay for. Not sure but I think they were dropping the 5'er. Special

ordered
was about $150 more.

Do you mean French as in "both doors open" or "on door opens on a
hinge" ? (BTW - we call them "Freedom doors" now, or at least
"Indefinite military stay going downhill and reversing ourselves
and asking the French and Soviets for help at the UN" doors)

I looked around recently. The doors at Lowes were crap, IMHO.

Home Depot carries the Masonite line and Atrium line in a
"one opens" type of Freedom door. "Both open" are a special
order. Since they don't buy those in bulk, you pay about $200 more
for a SO.

The Masonite door they _stock_ is steel, matches the Stanley steel
line well. About $500, AFAIR. Nice door, well made for the price.
The only reason that I might (personally) avoid it is that it has a
"rot resistant" wood frame and I think I need "rot proof" in my app.
Masonite also makes a fiberglass with a full vinyl frame... about
$200 more since it's special order.

The Atrium folks apparently lost their reputation a few years ago
but are attempting a comeback. Their door appears to be very well
made and solid. Aluminum clad outer, wood interior. Heavy, well
made. Closes solidly, almost to tight a seal. About $800, again,
AFAIR.

Be sure to price the hardware, screens, and grills if you need them.
Also be aware that screens are an issue with a "both open"
arrangement.

Bob