CMF

Default Garage Door sticking with the opener.

After 9 years, my metal garage door is rather tight. I can close it manually
alright by pulling down, but when the GDO is pushing it, it reaches a point,
sticks, bows up the screw and rail for the screw, and returns. This may have
to do with the dry summer, a little settling, I don't know.

I want to try lubricating a little, but seem to remember this is a general
no-no, but I remember a post that suggested wax or something in the rails
for the wheels? If not wax, what can I use to smooth it up a little to get
it hopefully over the hump?

I plan to get a garage door company out at some point to fix them up in
general (we have two single car doors, actually) but need an interum plan
until I actually see money again.

Thanks in advance,

--
Maury French

Wylie, TX
"I cannot teach my kids ethics if I do not
practice them myself"

JTM

"CMF" wrote in message
After 9 years, my metal garage door is rather tight. I can close it manually
alright by pulling down, but when the GDO is pushing it, it reaches a point,
sticks, bows up the screw and rail for the screw, and returns. This may have
to do with the dry summer, a little settling, I don't know.

I want to try lubricating a little, but seem to remember this is a general
no-no, but I remember a post that suggested wax or something in the rails
for the wheels? If not wax, what can I use to smooth it up a little to get
it hopefully over the hump?

I plan to get a garage door company out at some point to fix them up in
general (we have two single car doors, actually) but need an interum plan
until I actually see money again.

I have used parafin wax (the type used for sealing jelly and jam in glass jars)
for years. I apply it to the edges of the doors and the door jam. Usually once
a year is adequate. I've never lubricated the skate wheels or the guides.

Regards,

John