Jason Young

Default shower vs tub

I am trying to layout the floorplan for a bathroom remodel. The bathroom
had a tub & standalone shower. My question is if I can swap uses for the
drains, using the old shower drain for the tub, and the old tub drain for
the shower?

I would think this would be a nobrainer, but since I'm new to the world
of plumbing, I thought I'd get some opinions...

Thanks,
Jason
Speedy Jim

Jason Young wrote:

I am trying to layout the floorplan for a bathroom remodel. The bathroom
had a tub & standalone shower. My question is if I can swap uses for the
drains, using the old shower drain for the tub, and the old tub drain for
the shower?

I would think this would be a nobrainer, but since I'm new to the world
of plumbing, I thought I'd get some opinions...

Thanks,
Jason

Technically, the shower should be 2" and the tub 1 1/2".
As a practical matter, it won't matter but you'll have to adapt
for the different sizes. Of course, you'll have to watch the
elevation of the trap(s).
Jim

David Efflandt

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 21:51:12 GMT, Jason Young wrote:
I am trying to layout the floorplan for a bathroom remodel. The bathroom
had a tub & standalone shower. My question is if I can swap uses for the
drains, using the old shower drain for the tub, and the old tub drain for
the shower?

I would think this would be a nobrainer, but since I'm new to the world
of plumbing, I thought I'd get some opinions...

Unless you are ripping up the floor, the drain may be in wrong location.
There are tubs with raised inside bottom allowing room for pipe to
existing drain (like tubs at many RedRoof Inns).

It just takes some getting used to stepping down out of the tub, if you
are used to tub and floor being at same level. You might also need to
raise the shower head so it does not end up shoulder height.

http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/
http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/ http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/

Arra Movsesien

I dont know But Im a bath and TILE pro, I say go with the locall
HOLE AHJHHHHH AJHHHHH haaaaaaaa

Arra Movsesien

I dont know But Im a bath and TILE pro, I say go with the locall
HOLE AHJHHHHH AJHHHHH haaaaaaaa

Speedy Jim

Jason Young wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 18:25:17 -0400, Speedy Jim wrote:

Technically, the shower should be 2" and the tub 1 1/2". As a practical
matter, it won't matter but you'll have to adapt for the different
sizes. Of course, you'll have to watch the elevation of the trap(s).

The plumbing is in a slab foundation, so I can't change the pipe sizes. Do
you think it will be hard to get a permit to do this?

And pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by watching the elevation of
the traps?

You'd have to ask your inspector whether he'll accept the sizes.
What I meant by the height is, for example, will the old tub trap be
too high to set the shower base. Remember that you will have a
1 1/2" X 2" increaser fitting in between since the shower drain fitting
will be 2".

Jim