Posted to alt.home.repair

Default outlet smells

I had my computer and alarm plugged into the outlet and i noticed that
something in my room smelt like propane why would an outlet smell like propane
pllease respond now

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...s-1111562-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/13/2016 03:44 AM, Neavy wrote:
I had my computer and alarm plugged into the outlet and i noticed that
something in my room smelt like propane why would an outlet smell like propane
pllease respond now

Get the **** out of your house and call 911.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 03:44:01 +0000
Neavy m wrote:

I had my computer and alarm plugged into the outlet and i noticed that
something in my room smelt like propane why would an outlet smell
like propane pllease respond now

Put down the pipe and back away...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 10:44:05 PM UTC-5, Neavy wrote:
I had my computer and alarm plugged into the outlet and i noticed that
something in my room smelt like propane why would an outlet smell like propane
pllease respond now

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...s-1111562-.htm

Turn the circuit to that outlet off NOW! You have a faulty outlet...it may be the old "backstab" waiting to stab you. That is what caused the fire in our house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 05:14:46 -0700 (PDT)
bob_villa wrote:

That is what caused the fire in our house.

LOL Rookie google grouper/home keeper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob_villa wrote:

That is what caused the fire in our house.

LOL Rookie google grouper/home keeper.

You show your maturity in every post...thanks for your dutiful integrity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to bob_villa, Neavy wrote:
the smell is gone now all i did is what my mom told me to that was to unplug
everything that was in it the smell kept getting stronger after i did that
though but i turned around and went to bed and the smell is gone i think i
will go check it now
the house i am in has been here since 2003 and they dont have fire alarms and
never changed the outlets this has never happened before

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...s-1111562-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 12:14:06 PM UTC-4, Neavy wrote:
replying to bob_villa, Neavy wrote:
the smell is gone now all i did is what my mom told me to that was to unplug
everything that was in it the smell kept getting stronger after i did that
though but i turned around and went to bed and the smell is gone i think i
will go check it now
the house i am in has been here since 2003 and they dont have fire alarms and
never changed the outlets this has never happened before

Do I smell a troll? No "fire alarms"? Did he mean no smoke detectors?
Where do they build houses in 2003 with no smoke detectors? If he's
for real, first things I'd do are to turn off that circuit and get it
checked and install smoke detectors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 09:28:39 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Do I smell a troll? No "fire alarms"? Did he mean no smoke detectors?
Where do they build houses in 2003 with no smoke detectors? If he's
for real, first things I'd do are to turn off that circuit and get it
checked and install smoke detectors.

And the outlet smelled lie propane? Give me a break :-)

Burnt plastic and wire insulation I would understand.
--
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob_villa wrote:

That is what caused the fire in our house.

LOL Rookie google grouper/home keeper.

You show your maturity in every post...thanks for your dutiful integrity.

...and you show yours every time you reply to him thinking he will one
day heed your sagely advice of maturity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to trader_4, Neavy wrote:
trader_4 i am not a troll my pops built this house with his bare hands so no
smoke detectors were ever installed they have them here just dont have time to
install them

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...s-1111562-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/13/2016 10:14 PM, Neavy wrote:
replying to trader_4, Neavy wrote:
trader_4 i am not a troll my pops built this house with his bare hands
so no
smoke detectors were ever installed they have them here just dont have
time to
install them

Pops isn't following code.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 10:32:27 PM UTC-4, Meanie wrote:
On 10/13/2016 10:14 PM, Neavy wrote:
replying to trader_4, Neavy wrote:
trader_4 i am not a troll my pops built this house with his bare hands
so no
smoke detectors were ever installed they have them here just dont have
time to
install them

Pops isn't following code.

They may not have been required when Pops built the house. AFAIK no code says
the homeowner/builder has to add them later - unless it's a rental property.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Oct 2016 05:48:05 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 10:32:27 PM UTC-4, Meanie wrote:
On 10/13/2016 10:14 PM, Neavy wrote:
replying to trader_4, Neavy wrote:
trader_4 i am not a troll my pops built this house with his bare hands
so no
smoke detectors were ever installed they have them here just dont have
time to
install them

Pops isn't following code.

They may not have been required when Pops built the house. AFAIK no code says
the homeowner/builder has to add them later - unless it's a rental property.

You are totally wrong.
At least here in Ontario. ALL residential units - owned or rented -
MUST have both working smoke detectors AMD working Co detectors.
Doesn't matter how old or how new.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 10:32:27 PM UTC-4, Meanie wrote:
On 10/13/2016 10:14 PM, Neavy wrote:
replying to trader_4, Neavy wrote:
trader_4 i am not a troll my pops built this house with his bare hands
so no
smoke detectors were ever installed they have them here just dont have
time to
install them

Pops isn't following code.

They may not have been required when Pops built the house. AFAIK no code says
the homeowner/builder has to add them later - unless it's a rental property.

You are totally wrong.
At least here in Ontario. ALL residential units - owned or rented -
MUST have both working smoke detectors AMD working Co detectors.
Doesn't matter how old or how new.

Here in the Peoples Republic of NJ, AFAIK, there is no law that requires
you to put one in your existing home, if that home didn't require one
when built, you still own it, and you're not renting it out. But if
you sell it or rent it, then it needs to comply. And the OP says his
house was built in 2003. Hard to imagine anywhere in the USA where
smoke detectors were not required by then, but I guess anything is possible.
And AFAIK OP hasn't said where he is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/12/2016 8:44 PM, Neavy wrote:
I had my computer and alarm plugged into the outlet and i noticed that
something in my room smelt like propane why would an outlet smell like
propane
pllease respond now

If you really think that is bad, check out one of my ****splatz.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 07:39:10 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

At least here in Ontario. ALL residential units - owned or rented -
MUST have both working smoke detectors AMD working Co detectors.
Doesn't matter how old or how new.

Here in the Peoples Republic of NJ, AFAIK, there is no law that requires
you to put one in your existing home, if that home didn't require one
when built, you still own it, and you're not renting it out. But if
you sell it or rent it, then it needs to comply. And the OP says his
house was built in 2003. Hard to imagine anywhere in the USA where
smoke detectors were not required by then, but I guess anything is possible.
And AFAIK OP hasn't said where he is.

Older sections of Las Vegas ('50, '60, etc.) do not have detectors.
Often older families. Our local fire departments have campaigns to
collect money to buy and install them for elderly people in older
homes.

ISTR when HeyBub was around, he mentioned Harris County, Houston, TX.
did not have building codes?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 10:32:27 PM UTC-4, Meanie wrote:
On 10/13/2016 10:14 PM, Neavy wrote:
replying to trader_4, Neavy wrote:
trader_4 i am not a troll my pops built this house with his bare hands
so no
smoke detectors were ever installed they have them here just dont have
time to
install them

Pops isn't following code.

They may not have been required when Pops built the house. AFAIK no code says
the homeowner/builder has to add them later - unless it's a rental property.

You are totally wrong.
At least here in Ontario.

So am I not totally wrong or only totally wrong in Ontario?

If I'm only wrong in Ontario does that mean I'm not totally wrong?

Does wrong need a passport to cross the border?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 10:32:27 PM UTC-4, Meanie wrote:
On 10/13/2016 10:14 PM, Neavy wrote:
replying to trader_4, Neavy wrote:
trader_4 i am not a troll my pops built this house with his bare hands
so no
smoke detectors were ever installed they have them here just dont have
time to
install them

Pops isn't following code.

They may not have been required when Pops built the house. AFAIK no code says
the homeowner/builder has to add them later - unless it's a rental property.

You are totally wrong.
At least here in Ontario.

So am I not totally wrong or only totally wrong in Ontario?

If I'm only wrong in Ontario does that mean I'm not totally wrong?

Does wrong need a passport to cross the border?

You do not say where you live and what codes apply to you. You said,
and I quote"AFAIK no code says the homeowner/builder has to add them
later - unless it's a rental property."

I just proved your staement wrong because Ontario code DOES require
that they not only be installed but maintained in working order.
Now you DO know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No offence, but California has more folks than all of Canada...so not being from Canada, we tend not to remember our good neighbors to the North.