Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is my magnetron faulty?

Whirlpool WMC50522AW

-Oven heats weakly--won't boil a cup of water on high after 5 minutes
-Draws only 300 watts on high (rated 1200 watts)
-Measures -10KV DC to case at Magnetron terminals on high (10 to 1 high-voltage divider measures 1KV on voltmeter)
-diode and capacitor appear to pass simple out of circuit tests
-magnetron did actually pass simple resistance tests

Looks like the magnetron is faulty?
Magnetron PN: 2M248J (no suffix)
Thanks. My first post here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 2:28:51 PM UTC-5, rlyoung wrote:
Whirlpool WMC50522AW

-Oven heats weakly--won't boil a cup of water on high after 5 minutes
-Draws only 300 watts on high (rated 1200 watts)
-Measures -10KV DC to case at Magnetron terminals on high (10 to 1 high-voltage divider measures 1KV on voltmeter)
-diode and capacitor appear to pass simple out of circuit tests
-magnetron did actually pass simple resistance tests

Looks like the magnetron is faulty?
Magnetron PN: 2M248J (no suffix)
Thanks. My first post here.

Have you searched YouTube for any videos on that model of microwave oven repair? There are a lot of sites that may have specific information on your oven. (€¢€¿€¢)

http://www.the-appliance-clinic.com/

http://www.repairclinic.com/

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/

[8~{} Uncle Micro Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 2:28:51 PM UTC-5, rlyoung wrote:
Whirlpool WMC50522AW

-Oven heats weakly--won't boil a cup of water on high after 5 minutes
-Draws only 300 watts on high (rated 1200 watts)
-Measures -10KV DC to case at Magnetron terminals on high (10 to 1 high-voltage divider measures 1KV on voltmeter)
-diode and capacitor appear to pass simple out of circuit tests
-magnetron did actually pass simple resistance tests

Looks like the magnetron is faulty?
Magnetron PN: 2M248J (no suffix)
Thanks. My first post here.

Reduced power is common to aged magnetrons, but replacement costs can easily be more than what you paid for counter microwave ovens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 6:45:48 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 2:28:51 PM UTC-5, rlyoung wrote:
Whirlpool WMC50522AW

-Oven heats weakly--won't boil a cup of water on high after 5 minutes
-Draws only 300 watts on high (rated 1200 watts)
-Measures -10KV DC to case at Magnetron terminals on high (10 to 1 high-voltage divider measures 1KV on voltmeter)
-diode and capacitor appear to pass simple out of circuit tests
-magnetron did actually pass simple resistance tests

Looks like the magnetron is faulty?
Magnetron PN: 2M248J (no suffix)
Thanks. My first post here.

Reduced power is common to aged magnetrons, but replacement costs can easily be more than what you paid for counter microwave ovens.

Thanks for your advice. For the record I think my initial voltage measurements were inaccurate (too high) due to test equipment mismatch, but in any case the voltage is 50% higher than a working 400 watt oven.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fri, 16
Sep 2016 19:28:48 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Whirlpool WMC50522AW

-Oven heats weakly--won't boil a cup of water on high after 5
minutes -Draws only 300 watts on high (rated 1200 watts)

And, you know for sure it's going to 'high' right? Rather, you know for
sure the relay is being closed AND it's staying closed for more than a
few seconds at a time?

-Measures -10KV DC to case at Magnetron terminals on high (10 to 1
high-voltage divider measures 1KV on voltmeter) -diode and
capacitor appear to pass simple out of circuit tests -magnetron
did actually pass simple resistance tests

How long is the 10kv power being provided to the Magnetron? For a
second or two, or is it consistent for a short (but longer than a few
seconds) period of time? When you performed the resistance tests, did
you also check the heating element? it'll be the smaller diameter wires
you find on the Magnetron; not the ones you already tested for power.

If the element is bad and/or the transformer winding that provides it a
much much lower voltage is, the Magnetron will not work even if the
Magnetron tube itself is otherwise okay and the proper voltage is being
applied to it.

Looks like the magnetron is faulty?

That might be the case...

from my experience, power settings on a microwave are actually times
when it'll run the relay that powers the magnetron and associated
components. The magnetron (from what I've learned with the microwaves
I've torn into) doesn't have a 'power setting' it's either running or
it's not running.

It sounds like you measured the high output voltage that actually runs
the Magnetron. Did you also check the voltage intended for the heating
element? It's much much lower.

Since you took a measurement, how long did you take the measurement
for? A second to confirm power was flowing and at what level, or, did
you leave it connected for the cycle? I'd try leaving it connected for
the cycle (if your meter is okay with this) and see how often it's
dropping out. You may have a problem with the controller board and/or
relay.

Magnetron PN: 2M248J (no suffix)
Thanks. My first post here.

It's a Toshiba Magnetron. You can purchase a new one online for around
$50 or so.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/hac453o

That link will take you to Amazon. Be sure you get the two letter code
and compare it to the one listed as being available. It's only for
GS/GM models. I don't know which one you have because you didn't
provide the entire part #.

If you haven't already run those tests I mentioned, I'd go ahead and do
so before spending $50 on this part. You could just buy another
Microwave for a little more than the cost of that part. Unless you
really like the one you have and don't want to replace it outright.

Based on your detailed post, it sounds like you know what you're doing
so I won't waste your time advising you not to muck around with these
things.

If I may ask though.. what is the make/model of the meter you used to
test for the high voltage?

--
MID:
zip file but then not be able to unzip it so I can watch it. That

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 12:28:51 PM UTC-7, rlyoung wrote:
Whirlpool WMC50522AW

-Oven heats weakly--won't boil a cup of water on high after 5 minutes
-Draws only 300 watts on high (rated 1200 watts)
-Measures -10KV DC to case at Magnetron terminals on high (10 to 1 high-voltage divider measures 1KV on voltmeter)
-diode and capacitor appear to pass simple out of circuit tests
-magnetron did actually pass simple resistance tests

Looks like the magnetron is faulty?
Magnetron PN: 2M248J (no suffix)
Thanks. My first post here.

Diesel, I just saw your posts. Thanks a lot, really. When I can I'll get back to the project and take into account your comments. Probably in a day or two.