Default Why is a magnetron so costly

Have a 5 year old Sharp microwave oven and the magnetron has apparently
died. Looked up the cost of replacing the magnetron and the best price
I have found is $112. I can buy a new microwave for less than $150.

Are parts marked up that much or am I just not finding a supplier who
is not a crook.

Thanks

Nog

wrote in message
oups.com...
Have a 5 year old Sharp microwave oven and the magnetron has apparently
died. Looked up the cost of replacing the magnetron and the best price
I have found is $112. I can buy a new microwave for less than $150.

Are parts marked up that much or am I just not finding a supplier who
is not a crook.

Thanks

I thought they were klystrons not magnetrons.
It's just like a television. The main board in a TV costs more than the
whole TV costs. Some day cars will be like that.

James Sweet

wrote in message
oups.com...
Have a 5 year old Sharp microwave oven and the magnetron has apparently
died. Looked up the cost of replacing the magnetron and the best price
I have found is $112. I can buy a new microwave for less than $150.

Are parts marked up that much or am I just not finding a supplier who
is not a crook.

Thanks

The magnetron is the the most expensive part in the whole oven, stocking,
catalogging, distributing and shipping the thing costs almost as much as
building a whole oven. You might be able to find a slightly less expensive
generic replacement though. If your oven is in nice shape otherwise I'd
encourage you to fix it if only to keep it out of the landfill, that and
you'll save $40.

quietguy

Nog wrote:

It's just like a television. The main board in a TV costs more than the
whole TV costs. Some day cars will be like that.

I think cars are already like that Nog - buying all the bits for a car
results in a total which is something like 10 or 20 times the cost of the
car bought as a whole IIRC

Eg new cigarette lighter socket for my Toyota cost $170, though that did
include installation - new socket complete with lighter was only $98 or so

David - who did not get that lighter socket replaced

Best price I found was $55 for a magnetron which looked very similiar -
will have to call the distributor - MCM and see if it is compatible -
looks like form factor and power level is the biggest "fit or work"
issue.

Doug

http://www.amiparts.com/
Or
I nmay have a used one.Any numbers on mag?
Are you close to Dayton ,Ohio?
Doug