Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Wang

Default Where and which magnetron do I need?

I have a GE Spacesaver microwave, the lights come on, and it
*seems* to work, but not heating, and there's a burning rubber
smell. Basically, the magnatron is kaputt. I did some search
through google. Typed in the model number: JVM1640AB 003, and
a thread on doityourself.com showed up, and said exactly
what I suspected - burning smell, dead magnatron - common
problem. So I guess I need to replace the magnatron on this one.
I've replaced the magnatron on another microwave before, so it
shouldn't be too difficult. I just need to find out which
magnatron I need and where I can source one.

Thanks in advance.

--
davewang202(at)yahoo(dot)com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser

"Jerry G." writes:

If you contact GE parts directly they should be able to help you.

Won't they want to charge you $189.50 for a magnetron that can be purchased
for $40 from a service parts supplier. Or is the mag in that oven special?

In your case, the power transformer, rectifier, and capacitor should be
verified. I have seen failures in all these areas when having the
problem you are describing.

Jerry G.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Wang

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"Jerry G." writes:

If you contact GE parts directly they should be able to help you.

Won't they want to charge you $189.50 for a magnetron that can be purchased
for $40 from a service parts supplier. Or is the mag in that oven special?

Sam, I never thanked you for helping me fix my old microwave. It was a
Kenmore from about 1989 or so. That failed in 1997 or 1998. You told me
to buy a $40 magnetron and replace it. I did that, and still have that
microwave. Just sat in the basement for years after I moved to the new
house. The GE spacemaker JVM1640 is one of those with a built in
micro hood, so it came with the house. So now that it has failed, guess
which microwave we're using as a replacement?

Apparently the JVM1640 series Microwave is known to have a poorly designed
magnetron/waveguide subsystem there, and it overheats and dies.
The magnetron part number is WB27X10489, and from my various research
it seems to cost about $120. However, the warrenty for the magnetron is
supposed to last 10 years (parts only). So it may still be covered under
warrenty.

I am going to call GE and see if I can get an magnetron for free. The
funny thing about this is that GE doesn't want you to touch the inside
of the microwave (understandable), but the magnetron is warrented for
parts only. So if I get a service call in for the microwave (installed
into the house), the labor costs would probably be enough to buy a new
one ($240 at Sears now). So I wonder how this is going to go when I
ask for a magnetron under warrenty.

--
davewang202(at)yahoo(dot)com