Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dirt coming in kitchen sink

My kitchen sink was draining slow so I tried the baking soda and vinegar ,
then it wouldn't drain at all so I stopped up one sink and plunged the other .
Black dirt came up in my sink. I have plunged to no avail, it doesn't run to
the septic tank but out in the yard. What do I do?

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...nk-902374-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Flowerpower" m wrote in
message roups.com...
My kitchen sink was draining slow so I tried the baking soda and vinegar ,
then it wouldn't drain at all so I stopped up one sink and plunged the
other .
Black dirt came up in my sink. I have plunged to no avail, it doesn't run
the septic tank but out in the yard. What do I do?

Have you considered calling a plumber?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 7:35:06 AM UTC-7, dadiOH wrote:
"Flowerpower" m wrote in
message roups.com...
My kitchen sink was draining slow so I tried the baking soda and vinegar ,
then it wouldn't drain at all so I stopped up one sink and plunged the
other .
Black dirt came up in my sink. I have plunged to no avail, it doesn't run
the septic tank but out in the yard. What do I do?

Have you considered calling a plumber?

A slow kitchen sink drain is usually caused by grease buildup.
He can try pouring a gallon of bleach down the drain and let it sit over night and then try pouring boiling water down the drain. I use a fat pot for all my used cooking grease and oils and have no drain problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/05/2016 08:55 AM, Jack G. wrote:
A slow kitchen sink drain is usually caused by grease buildup.
He can try pouring a gallon of bleach down the drain and let it sit over night and then try pouring boiling water down the drain. I use a fat pot for all my used cooking grease and oils and have no drain problems.

A gallon of lye solution would work better. Lye + grease = soap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 10:41:27 AM UTC-7, rbowman wrote:
On 09/05/2016 08:55 AM, Jack G. wrote:
A slow kitchen sink drain is usually caused by grease buildup.
He can try pouring a gallon of bleach down the drain and let it sit over night and then try pouring boiling water down the drain. I use a fat pot for all my used cooking grease and oils and have no drain problems.

A gallon of lye solution would work better. Lye + grease = soap.

What is the ratio of lye and water to equal one gallon?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack G." wrote in message
On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 7:35:06 AM UTC-7, dadiOH wrote:
"Flowerpower" m wrote
in
message roups.com...
My kitchen sink was draining slow so I tried the baking soda and
vinegar ,
then it wouldn't drain at all so I stopped up one sink and plunged the
other .
Black dirt came up in my sink. I have plunged to no avail, it doesn't
run
the septic tank but out in the yard. What do I do?

Have you considered calling a plumber?

A slow kitchen sink drain is usually caused by grease buildup.
He can try pouring a gallon of bleach down the drain and let it sit over
night and then try pouring boiling water down the drain. I use a fat pot
for all my used cooking grease and oils and have no drain problems.

Wouldn't help much (at all) with the drain going into the yard rather than
the septic tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Sep 2016 14:14:01 +0000, Flowerpower
m wrote:

My kitchen sink was draining slow so I tried the baking soda and vinegar ,
then it wouldn't drain at all so I stopped up one sink and plunged the other .
Black dirt came up in my sink. I have plunged to no avail, it doesn't run to
the septic tank but out in the yard. What do I do?

I'd just hate if that ever happened to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 2:24:51 PM UTC-7, dadiOH wrote:
"Jack G." wrote in message
[...]

It would just unplug it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/05/2016 02:47 PM, Jack G. wrote:
On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 10:41:27 AM UTC-7, rbowman wrote:
On 09/05/2016 08:55 AM, Jack G. wrote:
A slow kitchen sink drain is usually caused by grease buildup.
He can try pouring a gallon of bleach down the drain and let it sit over night and then try pouring boiling water down the drain. I use a fat pot for all my used cooking grease and oils and have no drain problems.

A gallon of lye solution would work better. Lye + grease = soap.

What is the ratio of lye and water to equal one gallon?

I never measured it. I just pour the lye flakes into the drain, maybe
two or three tablespoons worth, and add hot water. If that seems too
casual, most of the liquid drain openers on the market are lye (sodium
Hydroxide) solutions.