Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What Does My Finger Weigh?

I'm always interested in learning new things to try and spotted this one
in a book of puzzles SWIMBO just gave me. I just had to try it.

Put a paper or Styrofoam cup with water in it on a kitchen or postal
scale and note its weight. Leave it on the scale. (A glass of water
might be too heavy for the scale.)

Now stick a finger or two into the water without touching the side or
bottom of the cup and watch what happens.

The scale reading increases.

Did you expect that? I didn't.

I'm sure any physicists here will explain why.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I'm always interested in learning new things to try and spotted this
one in a book of puzzles SWIMBO just gave me. I just had to try it.

Put a paper or Styrofoam cup with water in it on a kitchen or postal
scale and note its weight. Leave it on the scale. (A glass of water
might be too heavy for the scale.)

Now stick a finger or two into the water without touching the side or
bottom of the cup and watch what happens.

The scale reading increases.

Did you expect that? I didn't.

I'm sure any physicists here will explain why.

Jeff

I'm not a physicist, but it sounds like the bottom of your finger had
been exerting more vertical force (in the downward direction) on the
"surface" of the water, than the air had. There is also Newton's 3rd
Law (which I just looked up), €œFor every action, there is an equal and
opposite reaction.€ OTOH, I wouldn't have expected to see the
phenomenon you described either! ; )

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 3:32:53 PM UTC-5, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
I'm always interested in learning new things to try and spotted this one
in a book of puzzles SWIMBO just gave me. I just had to try it.

Put a paper or Styrofoam cup with water in it on a kitchen or postal
scale and note its weight. Leave it on the scale. (A glass of water
might be too heavy for the scale.)

Now stick a finger or two into the water without touching the side or
bottom of the cup and watch what happens.

The scale reading increases.

Did you expect that? I didn't.

I'm sure any physicists here will explain why.

Jeff
--

Try this, get a small item then weigh it so you know its weight. Tie a thread to the small item, immerse it completely in the cup of water without touching the sides or bottom of the cup and look for any change in the weight of the water filled cup. Lookup "water displacement" then get a small item that will float in the cup or get an old Christmas tree bulb get its weight and if it won't float, suspend it in the cup of water by a thread. Let us know the results. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Experimental Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia"

I'm always interested in learning new things to try
and spotted this one in a book of puzzles SWIMBO just
gave me. I just had to try it.

Put a paper or Styrofoam cup with water in it on a
kitchen or postal scale and note its weight. Leave it
on the scale. (A glass of water might be too heavy
for the scale.)

Now stick a finger or two into the water without
touching the side or bottom of the cup and watch what
happens.

The scale reading increases.

Did you expect that? I didn't.

I'm sure any physicists here will explain why.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

Easy. You added the mass of your finger below waterline
to the mass of water already in the cup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-09-04, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I'm sure any physicists here will explain why.

Depends. How many boogers on finger in question?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2016 6:16 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia"

I'm always interested in learning new things to try and spotted this
one in a book of puzzles SWIMBO just gave me. I just had to try it.

Put a paper or Styrofoam cup with water in it on a kitchen or postal
scale and note its weight. Leave it on the scale. (A glass of water
might be too heavy for the scale.)

Now stick a finger or two into the water without touching the side or
bottom of the cup and watch what happens.

The scale reading increases.

Did you expect that? I didn't.

I'm sure any physicists here will explain why.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

Easy. You added the mass of your finger below waterline
to the mass of water already in the cup.

How? Unless it is only partially filled, but if filled, no. If he
suspended his finger it would displace the water. The spilled water
would lower the weight and be replaced by the weight of the finger .
Looks like he left out a detail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2016 1:32 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I'm always interested in learning new things to try and spotted this one
in a book of puzzles SWIMBO just gave me. I just had to try it.

Put a paper or Styrofoam cup with water in it on a kitchen or postal
scale and note its weight. Leave it on the scale. (A glass of water
might be too heavy for the scale.)

Now stick a finger or two into the water without touching the side or
bottom of the cup and watch what happens.

The scale reading increases.

Did you expect that? I didn't.

I'm sure any physicists here will explain why.

Jeff

At the same time, you will weigh less by the same amount if you are on a
scale. If you put your whole body in a barrel of water, what would you
expect would happen? The barrel will weigh more, and you will weigh the
same amount less.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2016 4:44 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 9/4/2016 1:32 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I'm always interested in learning new things to try and spotted this one
in a book of puzzles SWIMBO just gave me. I just had to try it.

Put a paper or Styrofoam cup with water in it on a kitchen or postal
scale and note its weight. Leave it on the scale. (A glass of water
might be too heavy for the scale.)

Now stick a finger or two into the water without touching the side or
bottom of the cup and watch what happens.

The scale reading increases.

Did you expect that? I didn't.

I'm sure any physicists here will explain why.

Jeff

At the same time, you will weigh less by the same amount if you are on a
scale. If you put your whole body in a barrel of water, what would you
expect would happen? The barrel will weigh more, and you will weigh the
same amount less.

Imagine you are hanging from a big fish scale as you get into the water.
The scale will read less as the barrel weighs more.

Imagine you are pushing an empty very light weight jar down into the
water. The water pressure at the bottom of the jar is pushing the jar
upwards. The force you apply to push it down will be added to the
reading of the scale under the water container, and the water level will
rise as if the equivalent weight of water were added to the container
instead. Effectively, you are adding the weight of the water displaced
to the container.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 3:32:53 PM UTC-5, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
I'm always interested in learning new things to try and spotted this one
in a book of puzzles SWIMBO just gave me. I just had to try it.

Put a paper or Styrofoam cup with water in it on a kitchen or postal
scale and note its weight. Leave it on the scale. (A glass of water
might be too heavy for the scale.)

Now stick a finger or two into the water without touching the side or
bottom of the cup and watch what happens.

The scale reading increases.

Did you expect that? I didn't.

I'm sure any physicists here will explain why.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

My guess is the surface tension broken by the finger exerts a downward force.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
On 9/4/2016 1:32 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I'm always interested in learning new things to try and spotted this one
in a book of puzzles SWIMBO just gave me. I just had to try it.

Put a paper or Styrofoam cup with water in it on a kitchen or postal
scale and note its weight. Leave it on the scale. (A glass of water
might be too heavy for the scale.)

Now stick a finger or two into the water without touching the side or
bottom of the cup and watch what happens.

The scale reading increases.

Did you expect that? I didn't.

I'm sure any physicists here will explain why.

Jeff

At the same time, you will weigh less by the same amount if you are on
a scale. If you put your whole body in a barrel of water, what would
you expect would happen? The barrel will weigh more, and you will
weigh the same amount less.

Surely your weight doesn't change just because you are in the water....
(geeze....) ; )

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phil Kangas expressed precisely :
"Jeff Wisnia"

I'm always interested in learning new things to try and spotted this one in
a book of puzzles SWIMBO just gave me. I just had to try it.

Put a paper or Styrofoam cup with water in it on a kitchen or postal scale
and note its weight. Leave it on the scale. (A glass of water might be too
heavy for the scale.)

Now stick a finger or two into the water without touching the side or
bottom of the cup and watch what happens.

The scale reading increases.

Did you expect that? I didn't.

I'm sure any physicists here will explain why.

Jeff
-- Jeffry Wisnia

Easy. You added the mass of your finger below waterline
to the mass of water already in the cup.

It's not the mass, it's the displacement of a volume of water.

Eureka!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank explained :
On 9/4/2016 4:32 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I'm always interested in learning new things to try and spotted this one
in a book of puzzles SWIMBO just gave me. I just had to try it.

Put a paper or Styrofoam cup with water in it on a kitchen or postal
scale and note its weight. Leave it on the scale. (A glass of water
might be too heavy for the scale.)

Now stick a finger or two into the water without touching the side or
bottom of the cup and watch what happens.

The scale reading increases.

Did you expect that? I didn't.

I'm sure any physicists here will explain why.

Jeff

Eureka

Will anyone look that up I wonder?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2016 5:33 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:
Frank explained :
On 9/4/2016 4:32 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I'm always interested in learning new things to try and spotted this one
in a book of puzzles SWIMBO just gave me. I just had to try it.

Put a paper or Styrofoam cup with water in it on a kitchen or postal
scale and note its weight. Leave it on the scale. (A glass of water
might be too heavy for the scale.)

Now stick a finger or two into the water without touching the side or
bottom of the cup and watch what happens.

The scale reading increases.

Did you expect that? I didn't.

I'm sure any physicists here will explain why.

Jeff

Eureka

Will anyone look that up I wonder?

Buoyancy. You look it up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski"
wrote in message On 9/4/2016 6:16 PM, Phil Kangas
wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia"

[...]

Jeff did not say the cup was full, only that it had
some water in it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Taxed and Spent formulated on Sunday :
On 9/4/2016 5:33 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:
Frank explained :
On 9/4/2016 4:32 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I'm always interested in learning new things to try and spotted this one
in a book of puzzles SWIMBO just gave me. I just had to try it.

Put a paper or Styrofoam cup with water in it on a kitchen or postal
scale and note its weight. Leave it on the scale. (A glass of water
might be too heavy for the scale.)

Now stick a finger or two into the water without touching the side or
bottom of the cup and watch what happens.

The scale reading increases.

Did you expect that? I didn't.

I'm sure any physicists here will explain why.

Jeff

Eureka

Will anyone look that up I wonder?

Buoyancy. You look it up.

No ****, Sherlock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_(word)#archimedes
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2016 5:04 PM, Bill wrote:
Bob F wrote:
[...]

Your weight as shown on the scale you are standing on ( or hanging from)
does. Because your finger is being supported by the water, its weight no
longer shows up on the scale. Jeeeeze!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
On 9/4/2016 5:04 PM, Bill wrote:
Bob F wrote:
[...]

I was just referring to what you typed, Bob F., not what you meant... I
knew what you meant..I just thought you could have been clearer.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 16:32:44 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

I'm always interested in learning new things to try and spotted this one
in a book of puzzles SWIMBO just gave me. I just had to try it.

Put a paper or Styrofoam cup with water in it on a kitchen or postal
scale and note its weight. Leave it on the scale. (A glass of water
might be too heavy for the scale.)

Now stick a finger or two into the water without touching the side or
bottom of the cup and watch what happens.

The scale reading increases.

Did you expect that? I didn't.

I'm sure any physicists here will explain why.

Jeff

You are exerting a force equal to the bouyancy of your finger on the
cup.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill laid this down on his screen :
Bob F wrote:
[...]

You weigh less above the water than you do in the water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
[...]

What are you talking about? Your weight doesn't change.

I must assume the cup is not full because there was no mention of overflow from the cup. The insertion of your
finger(s) will displace only air, which is lighter than water or your body. Therefore the weight registered on the
scale will increase.

Now if the cup was full and the overflow from the insertion of your fingers was made to magically disappear the weight
registered on the scale should remain relatively constant due to the similarity of body weight to water of the same
volume.

By the way, I'm not a physicist, but I saw one on TV once.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm always interested in learning new things to try and spotted this one
in a book of puzzles SWIMBO just gave me. I just had to try it.

Put a paper or Styrofoam cup with water in it on a kitchen or postal
scale and note its weight. Leave it on the scale. (A glass of water
might be too heavy for the scale.)

Now stick a finger or two into the water without touching the side or
bottom of the cup and watch what happens.

The scale reading increases.

Did you expect that? I didn't.

I'm sure any physicists here will explain why.

Jeff

You really just weighed the amount of water displaced but since the
specific gravity of a finger is pretty close to 1 it is a good
approximation. If you did it with a lead sinker, you result would be
different.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm always interested in learning new things to try
and spotted this one
in a book of puzzles SWIMBO just gave me. I just had
to try it.

Put a paper or Styrofoam cup with water in it on a
kitchen or postal
scale and note its weight. Leave it on the scale. (A
glass of water
might be too heavy for the scale.)

Now stick a finger or two into the water without
touching the side or
bottom of the cup and watch what happens.

The scale reading increases.

Did you expect that? I didn't.

I'm sure any physicists here will explain why.

Jeff

You are exerting a force equal to the bouyancy of
your finger on the
cup.

Yup. Imagine this: put your finger into the water and
mark
it at waterline. Cut it off at the line and put it back
into the
cup. If the specific gravity is higher than water it
will sink
to the bottom adding weight to the scale minus the
bouyancy
of it. If the specific gravity is less than water then
the cutoff
finger stub will float. By attaching a thin wire you
can push
it into the water till it is flush. This applied force
will add to
the scale by the ratio of sp.gr. of water vs. finger
stub.
By comparing the scale numbers you could calculate the
specific gravity of your finger!
If the test object is heavier than water and you
suspend it
by a thin wire the scale indication will not change.The
tension
in the supporting wire will decrease due to bouyancy.
If the
wire was attached to a scale you could use that to
calculate
the sp.gr. of the object of interest.
hth
phil k.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/04/2016 10:11 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

What are you talking about? Your weight doesn't change.

mass doesn't, _weight_ does (counteracted by bouyancy force)

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote :
On 09/04/2016 10:11 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

What are you talking about? Your weight doesn't change.

mass doesn't, _weight_ does (counteracted by bouyancy force)

A sixty ton ship weighs sixty tons whether in the water or in drydock.
Bouyancy only makes a thing easier to lift (seem lighter in weight) in
water, it doesn't actually change its weight.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/05/2016 7:03 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:
dpb wrote :
On 09/04/2016 10:11 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

What are you talking about? Your weight doesn't change.

mass doesn't, _weight_ does (counteracted by bouyancy force)

A sixty ton ship weighs sixty tons whether in the water or in drydock.
Bouyancy only makes a thing easier to lift (seem lighter in weight) in
water, it doesn't actually change its weight.

But the scale measures the difference in force, not the total.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
[...]

Your weight changes. Your mass does not. People often interchange
those terms becasue we live in a world of constant gravity. Astronauts
on the space station weigh zero, but they still have the same mass.
(And, they weigh zero NOT becasue there is no gravity in space, but
because they are falling at the same rate as the station. Constantly
falling. They stay in orbit because as they are falling, they are
moving fast enough horizontally that the earth has curved away from
them and they remain at the same altitude.) Sorry for the science
lesson.

Pat
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/09/16 04:32, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Put a paper or Styrofoam cup with water in it on a kitchen or postal
scale and note its weight. Leave it on the scale. (A glass of water
might be too heavy for the scale.)

Now stick a finger or two into the water without touching the side or
bottom of the cup and watch what happens.

The scale reading increases.
I'm sure any physicists here will explain why.

You talking about Archimedes's Principle?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes%27_principle

BUT, a finger is made up of bones and flesh, of different density!

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
ä¸å€Ÿè²¸! ä¸è©é¨™! ä¸æ´äº¤! ä¸æ‰“交! ä¸æ‰“劫! ä¸è‡ªæ®º! è«‹è€ƒæ…®ç¶œæ´ (CSSA):
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2016 9:09 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 5/09/16 04:32, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Put a paper or Styrofoam cup with water in it on a kitchen or postal
scale and note its weight. Leave it on the scale. (A glass of water
might be too heavy for the scale.)

Now stick a finger or two into the water without touching the side or
bottom of the cup and watch what happens.

The scale reading increases.
I'm sure any physicists here will explain why.

You talking about Archimedes's Principle?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes%27_principle

BUT, a finger is made up of bones and flesh, of different density!

So? It will still displace an amount of water equal to the volume of
the finger. A 1" cube displaces 1 cubic inch be it hollow plastic or
solit lead. The buoyancy will, of course, change.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat used his keyboard to write :

Bob F wrote:
[...]

I agree with you, I think you meant to respond to Gordon Shumway not
me. You are also missing something in what I said though. Repeated here
for your convenience:

"You weigh less above the water than you do in the water."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/09/16 21:28, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

So? It will still displace an amount of water equal to the volume of
the finger. A 1" cube displaces 1 cubic inch be it hollow plastic or
solit lead. The buoyancy will, of course, change.

Read the subject.. the "Finger Weigh" part...

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
ä¸å€Ÿè²¸! ä¸è©é¨™! ä¸æ´äº¤! ä¸æ‰“交! ä¸æ‰“劫! ä¸è‡ªæ®º! è«‹è€ƒæ…®ç¶œæ´ (CSSA):
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/09/16 21:28, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

So? It will still displace an amount of water equal to the volume of
the finger. A 1" cube displaces 1 cubic inch be it hollow plastic or
solit lead. The buoyancy will, of course, change.

BTW, all previous replies didn't mention Mr. Archimedes. Weird?

Because they all hated *ancient* Greeks? Islamic?

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
ä¸å€Ÿè²¸! ä¸è©é¨™! ä¸æ´äº¤! ä¸æ‰“交! ä¸æ‰“劫! ä¸è‡ªæ®º! è«‹è€ƒæ…®ç¶œæ´ (CSSA):
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mr. Man-wai Chang was thinking very hard :
On 5/09/16 21:28, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

So? It will still displace an amount of water equal to the volume of
the finger. A 1" cube displaces 1 cubic inch be it hollow plastic or
solit lead. The buoyancy will, of course, change.

BTW, all previous replies didn't mention Mr. Archimedes. Weird?

Because they all hated *ancient* Greeks? Islamic?

Two of us said "Eureka" and I even posted a URL with Archimedes in the
string.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2016 7:38 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 5/09/16 21:28, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

So? It will still displace an amount of water equal to the volume of
the finger. A 1" cube displaces 1 cubic inch be it hollow plastic or
solit lead. The buoyancy will, of course, change.

BTW, all previous replies didn't mention Mr. Archimedes. Weird?

Because they all hated *ancient* Greeks? Islamic?

Perhaps those posters were unprincipled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2016 10:09 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 5/09/16 21:28, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

So? It will still displace an amount of water equal to the volume of
the finger. A 1" cube displaces 1 cubic inch be it hollow plastic or
solid lead. The buoyancy will, of course, change.

Read the subject.. the "Finger Weigh" part...

Yes, easily determined by displacement. Fill the cup, measure the water
loss. No matter the density or buoyancy it will equal the weight of the
water displaced. The hard part is cutting the finger off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2016 8:13 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/5/2016 10:09 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 5/09/16 21:28, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

So? It will still displace an amount of water equal to the volume of
the finger. A 1" cube displaces 1 cubic inch be it hollow plastic or
solid lead. The buoyancy will, of course, change.

Read the subject.. the "Finger Weigh" part...

Yes, easily determined by displacement. Fill the cup, measure the water
loss. No matter the density or buoyancy it will equal the weight of the
water displaced. The hard part is cutting the finger off.

That won't tell you the finger's weight, but the finger's displacement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/09/16 22:56, FromTheRafters wrote:

Two of us said "Eureka" and I even posted a URL with Archimedes in the
string.

Thank you for pointing this out. My apology!

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
ä¸å€Ÿè²¸! ä¸è©é¨™! ä¸æ´äº¤! ä¸æ‰“交! ä¸æ‰“劫! ä¸è‡ªæ®º! è«‹è€ƒæ…®ç¶œæ´ (CSSA):
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/09/16 22:59, Taxed and Spent wrote:

Perhaps those posters were unprincipled.

Maybe they didn't even finish primary school? Or maybe they didn't study
about science but pure arts?

Or maybe they hate science?

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
ä¸å€Ÿè²¸! ä¸è©é¨™! ä¸æ´äº¤! ä¸æ‰“交! ä¸æ‰“劫! ä¸è‡ªæ®º! è«‹è€ƒæ…®ç¶œæ´ (CSSA):
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/09/16 23:19, Taxed and Spent wrote:

That won't tell you the finger's weight, but the finger's displacement.

I haven't revised my physics for 20 years. But from my memory, it's
about buoyed objects.

A finger, when cut, may float though. Pardon the cruelty!