Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Damaged Particleboard bookshelves

One of my bookshelves was damaged in a recent move. Pictures he
http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/bo...ry/Bookshelves

The other three corners of the base have a small plastic foot nailed in. How would you repair this corner to keep it from deteriorating further and enable it to take a foot? This bookshelf will go between two others so the repair won't show but it should be flush with the side of the cabinet.

Also, my floor is not exactly level. What would you use for thin shims (maybe 1/16" more or less)?

Finally, I'm going to store old vinyl LPs on the bottom shelf of each 7' cabinet, which will stabilize them. But do you think they also need to be anchored to the studs? Screw eyelets and 20 AWG stranded wire?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 12:34:13 -0700 (PDT), Bob Simon wrote:

One of my bookshelves was damaged in a recent move. Pictures he
http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/bo...ry/Bookshelves

The other three corners of the base have a small plastic foot nailed in. How would you repair this corner to keep it from deteriorating further and enable it to take a foot? This bookshelf will go between two others so the repair won't show but it should be flush with the side of the cabinet.

Throw the particle board in the trash and replace with plywood and edging. stain to match and apply a couple coats of
polyurethane.

Also, my floor is not exactly level. What would you use for thin shims (maybe 1/16" more or less)?

Umm, have you thought about using shims?

Finally, I'm going to store old vinyl LPs on the bottom shelf of each 7' cabinet, which will stabilize them. But do you think they also need to be anchored to the studs? Screw eyelets and 20 AWG stranded wire?

Considering the quality of material used in the construction of these shelves adding additional bracing probably won't
hurt, but drilling additional holes could reduce what little structural integrity there is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Simon wrote:
One of my bookshelves was damaged in a recent move. Pictures he
http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/bo...ry/Bookshelves

The other three corners of the base have a small plastic foot nailed
in. How would you repair this corner to keep it from deteriorating
further and enable it to take a foot? This bookshelf will go between
two others so the repair won't show but it should be flush with the
side of the cabinet.

Also, my floor is not exactly level. What would you use for thin
shims (maybe 1/16" more or less)?

Finally, I'm going to store old vinyl LPs on the bottom shelf of each
7' cabinet, which will stabilize them. But do you think they also
need to be anchored to the studs? Screw eyelets and 20 AWG stranded
wire?

Move the plastic foot in far enough from the edge to get it in undamaged
material . I wouldn't worry about anchoring them unless you live in
earthquake country .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 3:35:29 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Bob Simon wrote:
[...]

That's my backup plan. But I'd like to do something to the damaged corner to prevent future erosion. I'd rather have the foot nearer the corner to maximize stability and the filler might anchor the foot better than that crappy board.

Bob New Orleans (hurricanes but no earthquakes)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Simon wrote:
[...]

So grind it flat with a belt sander , glue a scab of either lumber or
particle on (titebond III) and shape to match the existing with the belt
sander . No kind of bondo or other patching compound is going to do what you
want .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Simon wrote:
[...]

Just found a video on particle board furniture repair using some epoxy product.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHhZ2HPEwzM
Looks like it would work. No?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/29/2016 3:50 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 12:34:13 -0700 (PDT), Bob Simon wrote:

One of my bookshelves was damaged in a recent move. Pictures he
http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/bo...ry/Bookshelves

The other three corners of the base have a small plastic foot nailed in. How would you repair this corner to keep it from deteriorating further and enable it to take a foot? This bookshelf will go between two others so the repair won't show but it should be flush with the side of the cabinet.

Throw the particle board in the trash and replace with plywood and edging. stain to match and apply a couple coats of
polyurethane.

Agree with that. Particle board does not edge glue well so cutting the
corner off and replacing it is not going to work all that well.

If you have young kids I'd anchor it. Many ways would work, wire,
chain, screw eyes or drill a hole through.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Simon wrote:
[...]

No . As I said above , either just set the plastic glide in a bit farther
from the edge or repair it the way I explained . That epoxy is going to be
expensive and set up harder than the back of your head .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/29/2016 04:34 PM, Bob Simon wrote:
The other three corners of the base have a small plastic foot nailed in. How would you repair this corner to keep it from deteriorating further and enable it to take a foot? This bookshelf will go between two others so the repair won't show but it should be flush with the side of the cabinet.

Particle board shelves are junk. When you finish repairing them, your shelves will still be junk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob Simon" wrote in message
One of my bookshelves was damaged in a recent move. Pictures he
http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/bo...ry/Bookshelves

The other three corners of the base have a small plastic foot nailed in.
How would you repair this corner to keep it from deteriorating further and
enable it to take a foot?

Epoxy and a thickener. Sawdust will do, To keep the repaired edge flush
with the non-repaired one, put clear packaging tape on one sidr of a batten
like a paint stir stick and tack that along the good edge. Once the epoxy
cures, take off the stick, the epoxy won't stick well to thre tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a similar problem when a cabinet got wet on the bottom and the particle board swelled and got soft. After it dried out I applied wood glue. The glue absorbed into the particle board and after a couple of applications, the bottom of the cabinet was totally solid. With wood glue you can probably nail in the plastic foot; at worst, you might have to drill a small hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Simon posted for all of us...

One of my bookshelves was damaged in a recent move. Pictures he
http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/bo...ry/Bookshelves

The other three corners of the base have a small plastic foot nailed in. How would you repair this corner to keep it from deteriorating further and enable it to take a foot? This bookshelf will go between two others so the repair won't show but it should be flush with the side of the cabinet.

I would use the epoxy stuff mentioned by others. I don't think Bondo would
really adhere to particleboard. In addition I would drive some nails or
small screws up, prior to repair, into the particle board to act as a
reinforcing "bar" to meld the particle board to epoxy.

Also, my floor is not exactly level. What would you use for thin shims (maybe 1/16" more or less)?

Yes

Finally, I'm going to store old vinyl LPs on the bottom shelf of each 7' cabinet, which will stabilize them. But do you think they also need to be anchored to the studs? Screw eyelets and 20 AWG stranded wire?

Won't help.

Like the other posters have stated I would absolutely fasten these shelves
to the walls say with an L bracket. If someone bumps the shelves the could
overturn; it has happened.

Remember particle board is not a structural item. It was developed as a
sheathing IIRC. It has wood in it which makes it sensitive to moisture.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 3:29:10 PM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:

Like the other posters have stated I would absolutely fasten these shelves
to the walls say with an L bracket. If someone bumps the shelves the could
overturn; it has happened.

I don't think it's enough to just say "fasten these shelves to the walls say
with an L bracket".

I think we need to add that he must ensure that the L-bracket is securely
fastened to the particle board in such a manner as to never come out.

The particle board is the weak link here. A few 1/4" lag bolts into the
studs may do a great job of holding the L-bracket to the wall, but a
couple of 8 x 3/4" wood screws ain't going to do much good in the
particle board.