Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Damaged Particleboard bookshelves

Bob Simon wrote:
On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 3:35:29 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Bob Simon wrote:
One of my bookshelves was damaged in a recent move. Pictures he
http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/bo...ry/Bookshelves

The other three corners of the base have a small plastic foot nailed
in. How would you repair this corner to keep it from deteriorating
further and enable it to take a foot? This bookshelf will go
between two others so the repair won't show but it should be flush
with the side of the cabinet.

Also, my floor is not exactly level. What would you use for thin
shims (maybe 1/16" more or less)?

Finally, I'm going to store old vinyl LPs on the bottom shelf of
each 7' cabinet, which will stabilize them. But do you think they
also need to be anchored to the studs? Screw eyelets and 20 AWG
stranded wire?

Move the plastic foot in far enough from the edge to get it in
undamaged material . I wouldn't worry about anchoring them unless
you live in earthquake country .
--
Snag

That's my backup plan. But I'd like to do something to the damaged
corner to prevent future erosion. I'd rather have the foot nearer
the corner to maximize stability and the filler might anchor the foot
better than that crappy board.

Bob New Orleans (hurricanes but no earthquakes)

So grind it flat with a belt sander , glue a scab of either lumber or
particle on (titebond III) and shape to match the existing with the belt
sander . No kind of bondo or other patching compound is going to do what you
want .
--
Snag