Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Crumbling particleboard repair

Hello all,
The kitchen counter top in the house I'm renting is crumbling and dropping into the lower cabinets and drawers. It's not something that can be replaced right now so I was considering applying a thin coat of thin viscosity epoxy to help fortify the particle board. Any opinions?
Thanks,
Gene
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 12, 12:47*am, GeneT wrote:
Hello all,
The kitchen counter top in the house I'm renting is crumbling and dropping into the lower cabinets and drawers. *It's not something that can be replaced right now so I was considering applying a thin coat of thin viscosity epoxy to help fortify the particle board. *Any opinions?
Thanks,
Gene

How much surface area is crumbling? I'd use Minwax wood hardener.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/12/2012 12:47 AM, GeneT wrote:
Hello all,
The kitchen counter top in the house I'm renting is crumbling and dropping into the lower cabinets and drawers. It's not something that can be replaced right now so I was considering applying a thin coat of thin viscosity epoxy to help fortify the particle board. Any opinions?
Thanks,
Gene

You are renting, happen to have a landlord or a superintendent?

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/11/2012 11:47 PM, GeneT wrote:
Hello all,
The kitchen counter top in the house I'm renting is crumbling and dropping into the lower cabinets and drawers. It's not something that can be replaced right now so I was considering applying a thin coat of thin viscosity epoxy to help fortify the particle board. Any opinions?
Thanks,
Gene

Sounds like a land lord problem. Get him to come up with a solution.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:47:25 PM UTC-8, GeneT wrote:
Hello all, The kitchen counter top in the house I'm renting is crumbling and dropping into the lower cabinets and drawers. It's not something that can be replaced right now so I was considering applying a thin coat of thin viscosity epoxy to help fortify the particle board. Any opinions? Thanks, Gene

If you aren't talking structural integrity even paint would stop the crumble so painting on epoxy should be even better.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 12, 12:47*am, GeneT wrote:
Hello all,
The kitchen counter top in the house I'm renting is crumbling and dropping into the lower cabinets and drawers. *It's not something that can be replaced right now so I was considering applying a thin coat of thin viscosity epoxy to help fortify the particle board. *Any opinions?
Thanks,
Gene

inquire, quietly, at your local housing authority to see if they think
that it's a health issue or if it violates some other code.

If it does, and you explain it nicely to the landlord, it would be
very tough for him not to take steps to resolve the issue.

I'm not suggesting a fight, I'm just suggesting that you see if you
can get some leverage, up front. "I hate to bother you, but I did some
research and ..."