Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Amtrak Sure Doesn't Hire Mensa Members

In an earlier thread I brought up the stupid wording that Amtrak uses in their announcement
about where bags are "not allowed" to be stowed. Here's another gem from their website...

If you check the status of a train that is running late, they will give you the new estimated
departure time. They also include the following statement:

"When trains are late, we suggest you arrive at your departure station prior to the estimated
arrival or departure time."

I'm glad they told me that. I might have planned to arrive *after* the estimated departure
time so I could watch the ass end of the train roll off into the distance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2016 12:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
In an earlier thread I brought up the stupid wording that Amtrak uses in their announcement
about where bags are "not allowed" to be stowed. Here's another gem from their website...

If you check the status of a train that is running late, they will give you the new estimated
departure time. They also include the following statement:

"When trains are late, we suggest you arrive at your departure station prior to the estimated
arrival or departure time."

I'm glad they told me that. I might have planned to arrive *after* the estimated departure
time so I could watch the ass end of the train roll off into the distance.

Stupid instructions are now required for the idiotic liberal society of
today. The "ME" idiots today are selfish sue happy dummies who are too
stupid to realize they are the reasons why prices increase, laws change
and signs are required. It's a shame stupid people don't realize they
are stupid because stupidity begets stupidity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Amtrak Sure Does Hire Mensa Members, but the public aren't

On 8/25/2016 12:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
In an earlier thread I brought up the stupid wording that Amtrak uses in their announcement
about where bags are "not allowed" to be stowed. Here's another gem from their website...

If you check the status of a train that is running late, they will give you the new estimated
departure time. They also include the following statement:

"When trains are late, we suggest you arrive at your departure station prior to the estimated
arrival or departure time."

The only thing wrong with that statement is the missing 'still' between 'you' and 'arrive'.

The point being if the AmTrack schedule app/website says the train is departing late,
it's still wise to get to the station before the scheduled time, in
case they make the time up en-route.

Airlines will tell you the same thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/25/2016 08:22 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
In an earlier thread I brought up the stupid wording that Amtrak uses in their announcement
about where bags are "not allowed" to be stowed. Here's another gem from their website...

If you check the status of a train that is running late, they will give you the new estimated
departure time. They also include the following statement:

"When trains are late, we suggest you arrive at your departure station prior to the estimated
arrival or departure time."

I'm glad they told me that. I might have planned to arrive *after* the estimated departure
time so I could watch the ass end of the train roll off into the distance.

Every time I've taken a train it's been late...late departing and even later arriving.
Don't even get me started on the food service. You'd have to be a masochist to take the train.
Good grief!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2016 9:22 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
In an earlier thread I brought up the stupid wording that Amtrak uses in their announcement
about where bags are "not allowed" to be stowed. Here's another gem from their website...

If you check the status of a train that is running late, they will give you the new estimated
departure time. They also include the following statement:

"When trains are late, we suggest you arrive at your departure station prior to the estimated
arrival or departure time."

I'm glad they told me that. I might have planned to arrive *after* the estimated departure
time so I could watch the ass end of the train roll off into the distance.

Speaking of which, don't let the screen door *bonk* you in the ass on
yer way out.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 2:08:25 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
On 8/25/2016 12:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
In an earlier thread I brought up the stupid wording that Amtrak uses in their announcement
about where bags are "not allowed" to be stowed. Here's another gem from their website...

If you check the status of a train that is running late, they will give you the new estimated
departure time. They also include the following statement:

"When trains are late, we suggest you arrive at your departure station prior to the estimated
arrival or departure time."

The only thing wrong with that statement is the missing 'still' between 'you' and 'arrive'.

The point being if the AmTrack schedule app/website says the train is departing late,
it's still wise to get to the station before the scheduled time, in
case they make the time up en-route.

Airlines will tell you the same thing.

It's still misleading an incorrect. If they wished to express what you
claim, they should say:

"When trains are late, we suggest you arrive at your departure station prior to the original arrival or departure time."

And that advice is not universal either. Some times, flights are delayed
for 3 hours or 6 hours and the airline or whatever knows that they won't
be departing sooner because the eqpt can't get there any faster. Would
you go to the airport 6 hours early?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 2:08:25 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
On 8/25/2016 12:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
In an earlier thread I brought up the stupid wording that Amtrak uses in their announcement
about where bags are "not allowed" to be stowed. Here's another gem from their website...

If you check the status of a train that is running late, they will give you the new estimated
departure time. They also include the following statement:

"When trains are late, we suggest you arrive at your departure station prior to the estimated
arrival or departure time."

The only thing wrong with that statement is the missing 'still' between 'you' and 'arrive'.

No, because as I stated, the train status page gives you the *new* estimated departure time
specifically using the word "estimated". Adding the word "still" wouldn't resolve the issue because
they would now be referring to the *new* estimated time which replaced the old one. They would
"still" be telling you to arrive before the train *is* estimated to leave not *was* estimated to
leave.

The point being if the AmTrack schedule app/website says the train is departing late,
it's still wise to get to the station before the scheduled time, in
case they make the time up en-route.

Then the statement should use the words "prior to the original departure time" not "prior
to the estimated departure time." Once the new departure time is labeled as "estimated"
you can't use the same word to refer to the original departure time because it is no longer
the estimated departure time.

Airlines will tell you the same thing.

Maybe, but I bet they word it better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 4:08:39 PM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 8/25/2016 12:13 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 18:08:21 GMT, (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

On 8/25/2016 12:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
In an earlier thread I brought up the stupid wording that Amtrak uses in their announcement
about where bags are "not allowed" to be stowed. Here's another gem from their website...

If you check the status of a train that is running late, they will give you the new estimated
departure time. They also include the following statement:

"When trains are late, we suggest you arrive at your departure station prior to the estimated
arrival or departure time."

The only thing wrong with that statement is the missing 'still' between 'you' and 'arrive'.

The point being if the AmTrack schedule app/website says the train is departing late,
it's still wise to get to the station before the scheduled time, in
case they make the time up en-route.

Airlines will tell you the same thing.

Thank you for explaining such a difficult to understand concept. Your depth of knowledge must be overwhelming.

but if they can make up the time, i.e. by going faster, why don't they
just go faster all the time for a faster trip?

Well for one reason, it uses a lot more fuel to go faster. Airlines do the same thing - peddle to
the metal when planes are delayed. (Not all Amtrak trains are electric)

For another thing, there would still be delays even if the trains went faster. If they always went
faster, it would be harder to make up the delay since there would be no "faster" to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2016 8:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

But if they always went faster, it would save time. The fact that a
delay couldn't be made up is no reason to delay all trains.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 writes:
[...]

In a large metro area? Sure - chances are they can get me on an
earlier flight (e.g. Southwest has over 100 flights between the
LA basin and SF bay area daily). In podunk idaho, where there is one flight out
per hour, probably not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 12:07:14 AM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:
[...]

Keep in mind that Amtrak does not *promise* that they will make up time,
the say:

"Late trains often make up time en route and may arrive earlier
than expected."

If you read the info at the following site (as well as others) you
should be able to glean the fact that certain track configurations,
track usage, ownership, etc. often prevent Amtrak from operating at
the *speed limit*, never mind the even faster capabilities of the
engines themselves.

Sometimes they can make up the time, but sometimes they just can't.
It's not a one size fits all.

My point is that there are too many factors to simply say "All trains
should go faster in order to shorten all trips." You can't even (easily)
say "The ones that can go faster should" because you have to operate to
least common denominator. There no sense in getting fast trains from
e.g. Boston and Philly to Penn station as soon as possible if the trains
from e.g. Albany and DC can't get there at relatively the same time. You'd
have mass confusion and over-crowding at the stations. Efficient scheduling
plays a huge part in moving trains (and thus people) from place to place.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-Amtrak-trains-so-slow

BTW...I'm no train expert and neither are you, so we both have to assume
that those that are the experts have thought about all this. Don't you think
that if the trains could simply go faster all the time, the powers that
be would make that happen? Do you think that they are unknowingly causing
what you call a "delay" because they never thought about simply "going
faster"? If you think that they haven't thought of it, why not send them
an email and let them know? :-)

https://www.amtrak.com/contact-us
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 8:43:33 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
trader_4 writes:
[...]

OK, so be honest: If *you* knew that your original flight was delayed
6 hours would *you* actually go to the airport 6 hours early? Have you
ever actually done it?

Hypotheticals are fine, but in practice would you actually go to the
airport at 6AM to wait for a plane that was estimated to leave at noon
on the chance that they could get you on an earlier flight?
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 has brought this to us :
trader_4 writes:
[...]

What I want to know is why they keep talking about aircraft "Ground
Stops" when any other kind of stop would be called a crash.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 writes:
[...]

I e-mailed Amtrak on this point and here is their response:

"Que?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 9:41:13 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

BTW...I'm no train expert and neither are you, so we both have to assume
that those that are the experts have thought about all this. Don't you think
that if the trains could simply go faster all the time, the powers that
be would make that happen? Do you think that they are unknowingly causing
what you call a "delay" because they never thought about simply "going
faster"? If you think that they haven't thought of it, why not send them
an email and let them know? :-)

https://www.amtrak.com/contact-us

IDK, but you're the one that posted the headline:

"OT - Amtrak Sure Doesn't Hire Mensa Members"

And complained that they can't word a simple sign right.
So, he probably has a point, if they are as dumb as you claim,
it's certainly possible they aren't running the trains as
fast as possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 writes:
[...]

Yes, many times. I've travelled extensively for business over
the last 35 years. Waiting at the airport with the possibility of
an earlier flight is much better than sitting in a hotel room.

Hypotheticals are fine, but in practice would you actually go to the
airport at 6AM to wait for a plane that was estimated to leave at noon
on the chance that they could get you on an earlier flight?

Damn straight I would. I've done it many times in LA, SF, Seattle
NYC, Dallas, O'Hare and Denver.

I even have caught an earlier flight to a different destination
then purchased a Southwest ticket to get to the final destination
as I would have otherwise had to wait three days to get a direct
flight (due to the current crappy airline overbooking).

Posted to alt.home.repair

FromTheRafters writes:
DerbyDad03 has brought this to us :

What I want to know is why they keep talking about aircraft "Ground
Stops" when any other kind of stop would be called a crash.

One may easily determine, using a very simple google search,
the meaning of the term "Ground Stop" in this context.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/26/2016 7:45 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
OK, so be honest: If *you* knew that your original flight was delayed
6 hours would *you* actually go to the airport 6 hours early? Have you
ever actually done it?

Only if I wanted some of that $10 bottled water or a coffee shop donut for $8.95 before my flight out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 10:31:43 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

My guess: The folks that schedule/operate the trains are not the same
folks that write the station announcements or the text on the website.

Do you think that just "going faster" across the board is a viable option?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 11:59:49 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Like any govt operation, I'm sure there is plenty of stupidity involved,
so who knows. I can tell you NJ transit trains are a mess. It takes
two hours to travel by train from where I live to NYC. I can be there
by car in an hour, if it's not rush hour. One obvious problem is that
there are just too many stops and having so many serves almost no
purpose. The train stops at one small shore town after another, just
a mile apart. These stops have very limited parking. So, who benefits?
Only the few people who live so close they can walk. The rest of us
would be better served by having large parking lots at a few key towns
and eliminating those other stops. Once in my car, I'd rather drive
5 mins or 10 mins instead of 2 mins if the train trip winds up being
30 mins faster. Does that count as a way of making it go faster across
the board?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2016 12:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
In an earlier thread I brought up the stupid wording that Amtrak uses in their announcement
about where bags are "not allowed" to be stowed. Here's another gem from their website...

If you check the status of a train that is running late, they will give you the new estimated
departure time. They also include the following statement:

"When trains are late, we suggest you arrive at your departure station prior to the estimated
arrival or departure time."

I'm glad they told me that. I might have planned to arrive *after* the estimated departure
time so I could watch the ass end of the train roll off into the distance.

Just looked at this thread as it might refer to Biden being a big Amtrak
supporter. He's not a Mensa member and more like a Zika baby.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 12:40:09 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

It might, but T&S would still want them to go faster between the fewer
stations. ;-)

Do you know if the folks in the small shore towns have cars that they
can drive to and leave at the train stations? I'm just asking, not
arguing.

Having grown up in NYC I know that there are many residents without
cars and many of them walk to the nearby train stations to get to work.

I can imagine (but don't know) that bus service might be limited in those
shore towns, so maybe walking to a nearby station is the only way for them
to access transportation. Possible?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 1:38:17 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Almost everyone here has a car, needs a car to get around. Most of
those homes that you could walk to are $500K+. You do see some Mexicans
riding bikes to get around, but they are the exception and Trump is gonna
throw them out.

Having grown up in NYC I know that there are many residents without
cars and many of them walk to the nearby train stations to get to work.

I can imagine (but don't know) that bus service might be limited in those
shore towns, so maybe walking to a nearby station is the only way for them
to access transportation. Possible?

Not really. There are also buses for getting around too. But neither
the bus nor the train are adequate to survive. They may be viable for a
trip to another town, going distances, but not so much for getting around
to the supermarkets, dry cleaners, etc. For 99%, it's a car.

OT. 12 year old aces Mensa test. Dean Hoffman[_12_] Home Repair 73 August 19th 15 10:02 AM
Another MENSA candidate geoff UK diy 59 November 10th 09 12:34 AM
OT Amtrak from IL to CA (Bay Area) Ignoramus30927 Metalworking 22 March 20th 08 03:39 PM
West Yorkshire Skip Hire Ltd - Waste Specialists, Plant Hire, Excavations Randolph Graham UK diy 6 November 1st 07 08:53 PM
Half Price Hire & Sales from HSS Hire Dr-E UK diy 2 January 6th 05 11:50 PM