Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default OT - Amtrak Sure Does Hire Mensa Members, but the public aren't

trader_4 writes:
On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 2:08:25 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
On 8/25/2016 12:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
In an earlier thread I brought up the stupid wording that Amtrak uses in their announcement
about where bags are "not allowed" to be stowed. Here's another gem from their website...

If you check the status of a train that is running late, they will give you the new estimated
departure time. They also include the following statement:

"When trains are late, we suggest you arrive at your departure station prior to the estimated
arrival or departure time."

The only thing wrong with that statement is the missing 'still' between 'you' and 'arrive'.

The point being if the AmTrack schedule app/website says the train is departing late,
it's still wise to get to the station before the scheduled time, in
case they make the time up en-route.

Airlines will tell you the same thing.

It's still misleading an incorrect. If they wished to express what you
claim, they should say:

"When trains are late, we suggest you arrive at your departure station prior to the original arrival or departure time."

And that advice is not universal either. Some times, flights are delayed
for 3 hours or 6 hours and the airline or whatever knows that they won't
be departing sooner because the eqpt can't get there any faster. Would
you go to the airport 6 hours early?

In a large metro area? Sure - chances are they can get me on an
earlier flight (e.g. Southwest has over 100 flights between the
LA basin and SF bay area daily). In podunk idaho, where there is one flight out
per hour, probably not.