Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Uses for Old Mower Blades

I replaced the blades on my lawn tractor's mower deck this morning. I'd hit a few stones out back and they needed to be replaced. Although the cutting edges are chipped, the blades are steel and it seems that they could be used for something. Anyone have any ideas?

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/2016 1:59 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I replaced the blades on my lawn tractor's mower deck this morning. I'd hit a few stones out back and they needed to be replaced. Although the cutting edges are chipped, the blades are steel and it seems that they could be used for something. Anyone have any ideas?

Paul

May not be the best source but I've heard of knives made from them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 1:59:07 PM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:
I replaced the blades on my lawn tractor's mower deck this morning. I'd hit a few stones out back and they needed to be replaced. Although the cutting edges are chipped, the blades are steel and it seems that they could be used for something. Anyone have any ideas?

Paul

http://cdn.instructables.com/FNZ/921...WZF.MEDIUM.jpg

http://www.whispersofnatureherbs.com...1/dscf0015.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...41436f098b.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71...w/Dscf0680.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On 8/22/2016 10:59 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
I replaced the blades on my lawn tractor's mower deck this morning. I'd hit a few stones out back and they needed to be replaced. Although the cutting edges are chipped, the blades are steel and it seems that they could be used for something. Anyone have any ideas?

Paul

Turn 'em into machetes and go out coon huntin'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/22/2016 11:59 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
I replaced the blades on my lawn tractor's mower deck this morning. I'd hit a few stones out back and they needed to be replaced. Although the cutting edges are chipped, the blades are steel and it seems that they could be used for something. Anyone have any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL6QJSdqlt0

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 9:07:18 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 08/22/2016 11:59 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
I replaced the blades on my lawn tractor's mower deck this morning. I'd hit a few stones out back and they needed to be replaced. Although the cutting edges are chipped, the blades are steel and it seems that they could be used for something. Anyone have any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL6QJSdqlt0

Don't know how to tell you this...I was thinking the same thing! Scary!
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:
On 08/22/2016 11:59 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
I replaced the blades on my lawn tractor's mower deck this morning.
I'd hit a few stones out back and they needed to be replaced.
Although the cutting edges are chipped, the blades are steel and it
seems that they could be used for something. Anyone have any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL6QJSdqlt0

Man, that was tough....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 19:13:32 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa
wrote:

Anyone have any ideas?

I once tossed one into some concrete when I was building a driveway.
That blade and soem scrap pipe and other junk metal acted as rebar to
reinforce the concrete.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 1:17:05 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 1:59:07 PM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:
I replaced the blades on my lawn tractor's mower deck this morning. I'd hit a few stones out back and they needed to be replaced. Although the cutting edges are chipped, the blades are steel and it seems that they could be used for something. Anyone have any ideas?

Paul

http://cdn.instructables.com/FNZ/921...WZF.MEDIUM.jpg

http://www.whispersofnatureherbs.com...1/dscf0015.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...41436f098b.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71...w/Dscf0680.jpg

DD, do you ever watch the cable TV show about guys taking scrap metal and turning into all kinds cutting blades like knives, swords and axes? I can't remember the channel or name of the dang show but some of the blades those guys make are amazing. The winner gets a ten thousand dollar prize. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Blade Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 1:17:05 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 1:59:07 PM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:
I replaced the blades on my lawn tractor's mower deck this morning. I'd hit a few stones out back and they needed to be replaced. Although the cutting edges are chipped, the blades are steel and it seems that they could be used for something. Anyone have any ideas?

Paul

http://cdn.instructables.com/FNZ/921...WZF.MEDIUM.jpg

http://www.whispersofnatureherbs.com...1/dscf0015.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...41436f098b.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71...w/Dscf0680.jpg

DD, do you ever watch the cable TV show about guys taking scrap metal and turning into all kinds cutting blades like knives, swords and axes?

Lawn mower blades are too soft for any of the above.

I can't remember the channel or name of the dang show but some of the blades those guys make are amazing. The winner gets a ten thousand dollar prize. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Blade Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 5:30:08 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

In the TV show, the guys use all sorts of steel and heat treat it for the desired properties. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Heated Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2016 5:29 AM, Bill wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 1:17:05 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 1:59:07 PM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:
I replaced the blades on my lawn tractor's mower deck this morning.
I'd hit a few stones out back and they needed to be replaced.

[snip]

http://www.whispersofnatureherbs.com...1/dscf0015.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...41436f098b.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71...w/Dscf0680.jpg

DD, do you ever watch the cable TV show about guys taking scrap metal
and turning into all kinds cutting blades like knives, swords and axes?

Lawn mower blades are too soft for any of the above.

Look up hardening and tempering, Bill. You need to start with softer
steel to shape the blade properly and once you have your knife shaped
where you want it and semi-sharp you first harden it and then temper it
and finish the job.

Perhaps not ideal for the purpose but worth playing with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 8/23/2016 5:29 AM, Bill wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Before going to all the work of making a knife , one should do a grinder
spark test to see if the steel has sufficient carbon to be hardened . Do a
web search for pictures of what carbon steel sparks look like - basically
short traces with a lot of forks .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 03:21:19 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

DD, do you ever watch the cable TV show about guys taking scrap metal and turning into all kinds cutting blades like knives, swords and axes? I can't remember the channel or name of the dang show but some of the blades those guys make are amazing. The winner gets a ten thousand dollar prize. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Blade Monster

_Forged in Fire_ History Channel:

http://www.history.com/shows/forged-in-fire
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

DD, do you ever watch the cable TV show about guys taking scrap metal and turning into all kinds cutting blades like knives, swords and axes? I can't remember the channel or name of the dang show but some of the blades those guys make are amazing. The winner gets a ten thousand dollar prize. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Blade Monster

_Forged in Fire_ History Channel:

http://www.history.com/shows/forged-in-fire

That's it! I couldn't remember the name of the show but I was pretty sure it was on The History Channel. I watch it every now and then and I like it. Some of the creations the contestants come up with are really cool(no pun). ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Forged Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 6:21:25 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I watched one episode of a show where it was a guy's business to make
stupidly large swords for clients with too much surplus cash. I think
it was called "I Make Stupidly Large Swords For Clients With Too Much
Surplus Cash".

I don't recall it being a competition, but it didn't do much for me
so I may have forgotten that part.

Cousin Does-Anyone-Have-A-Band-Aid? Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/23/2016 01:12 AM, Bill wrote:
rbowman wrote:
On 08/22/2016 11:59 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
I replaced the blades on my lawn tractor's mower deck this morning.
I'd hit a few stones out back and they needed to be replaced.
Although the cutting edges are chipped, the blades are steel and it
seems that they could be used for something. Anyone have any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL6QJSdqlt0

Man, that was tough....

Blame Billy Bob Thornton. Great movie but it is sort of dark...

"Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a kaiser blade."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 6:30:08 AM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 1:17:05 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 1:59:07 PM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:
I replaced the blades on my lawn tractor's mower deck this morning. I'd hit a few stones out back and they needed to be replaced. Although the cutting edges are chipped, the blades are steel and it seems that they could be used for something. Anyone have any ideas?

Paul
http://cdn.instructables.com/FNZ/921...WZF.MEDIUM.jpg

http://www.whispersofnatureherbs.com...1/dscf0015.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...41436f098b.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71...w/Dscf0680.jpg

DD, do you ever watch the cable TV show about guys taking scrap metal and turning into all kinds cutting blades like knives, swords and axes?

Lawn mower blades are too soft for any of the above.

Which "any of the above" are you referring to? Mower blades are certainly
hard enough to use as lawn art, so by "any of the above" I have to assume
that you are not referring to some of the links that I posted.

I can't remember the channel or name of the dang show but some of the blades those guys make are amazing. The winner gets a ten thousand dollar prize. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Blade Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://cdn.instructables.com/FNZ/921...ZF.MEDIUM..jpg

[...]

Oren posted a link to it. It's actually a pretty good show. A group of metal working guys compete for a ten thousand dollar prize. I think it a very interesting show. ^_^

_Forged in Fire_ History Channel:

http://www.history.com/shows/forged-in-fire

[8~{} Uncle Burning Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

DD, do you ever watch the cable TV show about guys taking scrap metal and turning into all kinds cutting blades like knives, swords and axes? I can't remember the channel or name of the dang show but some of the blades those guys make are amazing. The winner gets a ten thousand dollar prize. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Blade Monster

_Forged in Fire_ History Channel:

http://www.history.com/shows/forged-in-fire

That's it! I couldn't remember the name of the show but I was pretty sure it was on The History Channel. I watch it every now and then and I like it. Some of the creations the contestants come up with are really cool(no pun). ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Forged Monster

Tonight is a new season. Champions Edition.

"Four Forged in Fire champions return for a chance to prove who among
them is the best of the best in a challenge that leaves no room for
error: a high carbon steel inlay. After two surprising rounds of
competition, only two will move on to the final round where they will
have just five days to create a weapon that stumped previous
contestants; the Scottish Claymore. Will this sizable blade be too
much to handle, or will one be able to stand above the rest as Forged
in Fire champion of champions?"

I like to see them when they work in their shops at home...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I really like the show. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Entertained Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

DD, do you ever watch the cable TV show about guys taking scrap metal and turning into all kinds cutting blades like knives, swords and axes? I can't remember the channel or name of the dang show but some of the blades those guys make are amazing. The winner gets a ten thousand dollar prize. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Blade Monster

_Forged in Fire_ History Channel:

http://www.history.com/shows/forged-in-fire

If they spent more time _teaching_ how to do metal work,
rather than the reality-TV-contestent crap, it might
be worth watching. But it's not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

DD, do you ever watch the cable TV show about guys taking scrap metal and turning into all kinds cutting blades like knives, swords and axes? I can't remember the channel or name of the dang show but some of the blades those guys make are amazing. The winner gets a ten thousand dollar prize. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Blade Monster

_Forged in Fire_ History Channel:

http://www.history.com/shows/forged-in-fire

If they spent more time _teaching_ how to do metal work,
rather than the reality-TV-contestent crap, it might
be worth watching. But it's not.

Wow, what a sourpuss! A lot of scientists were inspired to become scientists by the TV show Star Trek which didn't teach anything except how to control the Klingons around Uranus. The metal working show is darned interesting and makes me wish I could get back to working in my shop and setup a forge. I know there are some kids watching that show and thinking that what those guys are doing is so cool(no pun). Many of those kids wish they could do the same thing. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Forged Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

DD, do you ever watch the cable TV show about guys taking scrap metal a=

nd turning into all kinds cutting blades like knives, swords and axes? I ca=
n't remember the channel or name of the dang show but some of the blades th=
ose guys make are amazing. The winner gets a ten thousand dollar prize. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Blade Monster

_Forged in Fire_ History Channel:

http://www.history.com/shows/forged-in-fire

=20
If they spent more time _teaching_ how to do metal work,
rather than the reality-TV-contestent crap, it might
be worth watching. But it's not.

Wow, what a sourpuss! A lot of scientists were inspired to become scientist=
s by the TV show Star Trek which didn't teach anything except how to contro=
l the Klingons around Uranus.

Apples are not Oranges.

Reality TV _is not_ comparable to TOS or any of the offshoots, particuarly
TNG.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Oh come on Sourpuss, they are both TV shows! Heck, there are also the "How It's Made" show episodes that are fascinating and I'm sure inspire kids to get into engineering and science. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Fascinating Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 08:00:54 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL6QJSdqlt0

Man, that was tough....

Blame Billy Bob Thornton. Great movie but it is sort of dark...

"Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a kaiser blade."

His other dark movie was a prison guard, executed a man. It was an
revealing movie. Took in the Negroid wife, he phucked. She found the
prison art.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2016 5:29 AM, Bill wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I'm familiar with the process. Who wants to make a knife that won't
hold an edge?

Lawn mower blades Wayne Metalworking 39 May 13th 11 01:38 AM
Replacement mower blades TWayne Home Repair 0 August 22nd 08 09:30 PM
Replacement mower blades Don Phillipson[_3_] Home Repair 1 August 21st 08 01:12 AM
Replacement mower blades Charles Home Repair 0 August 20th 08 11:06 PM
Can mower blades be hardened? EW Metalworking 23 April 16th 05 12:43 AM