Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom vanity question (likes & dislikes)

In about 2 weeks there will be a bathroom remodel done here
at my house. One of the replacements will be a new vanity and
I'd like some opinions, please.

I'm looking at traditional vanities with the toe-kick and
also vanities that are resting on feet about 3½ inches tall.
Anybody have a vanity with the short little feet and how do
you like it? I've always been used to the toe-kick type but
am open to newer models if I can get a few opinions. Good or
bad, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this type of cabinet.

Yes, I realize one sitting on feet will be a dust bunny
haven but I'd still like your thoughts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/21/16 6:30 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

In about 2 weeks there will be a bathroom remodel done here
at my house. One of the replacements will be a new vanity and
I'd like some opinions, please.

I'm looking at traditional vanities with the toe-kick and
also vanities that are resting on feet about 3½ inches tall.
Anybody have a vanity with the short little feet and how do
you like it? I've always been used to the toe-kick type but
am open to newer models if I can get a few opinions. Good or
bad, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this type of cabinet.

Yes, I realize one sitting on feet will be a dust bunny
haven but I'd still like your thoughts.

Talk about your girlie questions;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/21/2016 6:30 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

In about 2 weeks there will be a bathroom remodel done here
at my house. One of the replacements will be a new vanity and
I'd like some opinions, please.

I'm looking at traditional vanities with the toe-kick and
also vanities that are resting on feet about 3½ inches tall.
Anybody have a vanity with the short little feet and how do
you like it? I've always been used to the toe-kick type but
am open to newer models if I can get a few opinions. Good or
bad, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this type of cabinet.

Yes, I realize one sitting on feet will be a dust bunny
haven but I'd still like your thoughts.

No way would I use a fixed cabinet with feet. Can't be moved to clean
and will just be a dirt collector. The trend in style seems to be feet
though. Think about getting a mop under it. IMO, no matter how clean
you are it is a haven for dust, bugs, mold, whatever.

We also have a single piece Swanstone top on our vanities that makes
cleaning easy. The bowl tops look stylish, but we chose practicality
over trendy looks.

My other recommendation is to go for quality as you are going to live
with it every day for a long time. We went with Bertch for that reason.
http://www.bertch.com/products/bath/...s/default.aspx
Self closing drawers, self closing doors that are quiet and high
quality built.

We used Swanstone for both sink and shower bases in both bathrooms.
https://www.swanstone.com/index.php?prod=496. Second choice would be an
undermount sink.

You may have a problem with timing if you've not picked out and ordered
fixtures yet. Some can take longer than 2 weeks to get.

In any case, a new bathroom is always a nice treat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ItsJoanNotJoann" wrote

I'm looking at traditional vanities with the toe-kick and
also vanities that are resting on feet about 3 inches tall.
Anybody have a vanity with the short little feet and how do
you like it?

I've installed both. I think it's merely a
matter of personal taste. Personally I'd
be inclined to consider the room: A stock
vanity with a tile floor, feet on a wood
floor. It doesn't have to be that way. I just
think the version with feet looks more like
furniture, so I'd be more inclined to use it
in a bathroom that's less utilitarian looking.
The more tile there is... the more it looks
like you could hose it down if you wanted to...
the less furniture will look right. Likewise with
glass or ceramic bowl sinks on top of varnished
wood cabinets. They're very atmospheric
in a woody half-bath, but would look odd and
vulnerable in a heavily tiled full bath.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 9:10:25 PM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
"ItsJoanNotJoann" wrote

I'm looking at traditional vanities with the toe-kick and
also vanities that are resting on feet about 3˝ inches tall.
Anybody have a vanity with the short little feet and how do
you like it?

I've installed both. I think it's merely a
matter of personal taste. Personally I'd
be inclined to consider the room: A stock
vanity with a tile floor, feet on a wood
floor. It doesn't have to be that way. I just
think the version with feet looks more like
furniture, so I'd be more inclined to use it
in a bathroom that's less utilitarian looking.
The more tile there is... the more it looks
like you could hose it down if you wanted to...
the less furniture will look right. Likewise with
glass or ceramic bowl sinks on top of varnished
wood cabinets. They're very atmospheric
in a woody half-bath, but would look odd and
vulnerable in a heavily tiled full bath.

Thanks! It's a very small bathroom and yes, it will
have lots of tile. I'm still looking but one thing
I don't like at all and I see it on tv a lot are
those vessel sinks. I washed my face in an enameled
pan a lot when I was a kid at my grandparent's house
and that's what those vessel sinks put me in mind of.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 15:30:07 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

In about 2 weeks there will be a bathroom remodel done here
at my house. One of the replacements will be a new vanity and
I'd like some opinions, please.

I'm looking at traditional vanities with the toe-kick and
also vanities that are resting on feet about 3½ inches tall.
Anybody have a vanity with the short little feet and how do
you like it? I've always been used to the toe-kick type but
am open to newer models if I can get a few opinions. Good or
bad, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this type of cabinet.

Yes, I realize one sitting on feet will be a dust bunny
haven but I'd still like your thoughts.

We went another way and hung the counter top from the wall with
nothing on the floor. It makes cleaning up in there a lot easier. That
is also a wall hanger toilet. You can just run the mop everywhere.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/new%20room/Img_3949.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ItsJoanNotJoann" wrote

I don't like at all and I see it on tv a lot are
those vessel sinks. I washed my face in an enameled
pan a lot when I was a kid at my grandparent's house
and that's what those vessel sinks put me in mind of.

Vessel sink. I didn't know that term. But that's
what I meant. I know what you mean. They
suggest the days before plumbing. I'm always
afraid they'll leak. Something about a sink sitting
atop a ribbon-stripe mahogany cabinet seems like
it's asking for trouble.

For me the vanity-with-feet design is a milder
version of that. Atmospheric. Potentially elegant.
But it looks like furniture rather than fixture.

I was working at a job last week, closing in a
sunporch. The customer had a small hallway, about
6' square, connecting LR, kitchen and cellar door.
In there she had a ceramic sink mounted in a wood
desk, a mirror, and a Toto toilet! The floor was
1x4 fir, I think. Privacy requires closing 3 doors. But
she lives alone, so I guess it works fine. That's the
kind of spot where I could see a vessel sink looking
good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

wrote:

In about 2 weeks there will be a bathroom remodel done here
at my house. One of the replacements will be a new vanity and
I'd like some opinions, please.

I'm looking at traditional vanities with the toe-kick and
also vanities that are resting on feet about 3? inches tall.
Anybody have a vanity with the short little feet and how do
you like it? I've always been used to the toe-kick type but
am open to newer models if I can get a few opinions. Good or
bad, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this type of cabinet.

Yes, I realize one sitting on feet will be a dust bunny
haven but I'd still like your thoughts.

We went another way and hung the counter top from the wall with
nothing on the floor. It makes cleaning up in there a lot easier. That
is also a wall hanger toilet. You can just run the mop everywhere.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/new%20room/Img_3949.jpg

I like this idea. Especially since the OP states it will be a small area.
Much easier to keep clean. Another thing to consider is storage in a vanity..
That can be worked around. It will also be more expensive because the toilet
connection will have to moved to the wall along with the support structure.
Think about what stage of life your family is in when specifying the toilet:
bowl height, shape, accessories. Contact your contractor to let them know
what you are doing if going this way. Avoid late job trauma.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 6:30:12 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
In about 2 weeks there will be a bathroom remodel done here
at my house. One of the replacements will be a new vanity and
I'd like some opinions, please.

I'm looking at traditional vanities with the toe-kick and
also vanities that are resting on feet about 3½ inches tall.
Anybody have a vanity with the short little feet and how do
you like it? I've always been used to the toe-kick type but
am open to newer models if I can get a few opinions. Good or
bad, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this type of cabinet.

Yes, I realize one sitting on feet will be a dust bunny
haven but I'd still like your thoughts.

Others have mentioned the "wall hanging sink" which basically eliminates
the hidden storage that a vanity provides, but allows for easy cleaning.

A pedestal sink essentially does both things just as well - no storage
and easy floor cleaning, although the wall hanger does provide space for
a shelf. If an enclosed vanity is a must, then obviously neither a wall
hanging sink nor a pedestal sink will work for you.

I only bring this up because I'd like to add a word of caution about
pedestal sinks:

They are a PITA to install and maintain. I'll admit that I like the look
of the pedestal sink that SWMBO picked out, but the lack of access to
the trap, the pop-up mechanism, the faucet, etc. makes me hate the fact
that we have one.

It's not as bad now that it's just SWMBO and I, but when the long-haired
girls lived at home, the sink would get clogged with hair. Removing
the trap to clear the rat-tail every few months really sucked. You can't
move the sink and you can't fit behind it, so you are basically working
blind on the trap since it is inside the pedestal.

Rich Trethewey of This Old House says that installing a pedestal sink "is
the graduate school of do-it-yourself projects". I agree. They can also
be the "graduate school" of routine maintenance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In about 2 weeks there will be a bathroom remodel done here
at my house. One of the replacements will be a new vanity and
I'd like some opinions, please.

I'm looking at traditional vanities with the toe-kick and
also vanities that are resting on feet about 3½ inches tall.
Anybody have a vanity with the short little feet and how do
you like it? I've always been used to the toe-kick type but
am open to newer models if I can get a few opinions. Good or
bad, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this type of cabinet.

Yes, I realize one sitting on feet will be a dust bunny
haven but I'd still like your thoughts.

We went another way and hung the counter top from the wall with
nothing on the floor. It makes cleaning up in there a lot easier. That
is also a wall hanger toilet. You can just run the mop everywhere.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/new%20room/Img_3949.jpg

I was going to put a full vanity in my bathroom, but went with the
hanging sink as well. There is, of course, less space to put things,
but I like having the big open space under the sink.

Jon

I went with this cabinet to store stuff. I needed the tambour door so
it would not interfere with the bathroom door.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/tambour%20door.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You spent money on a really nice cabinet just to hold bottle of body wash
and a roll of toilet paper?

Oh wait...there's a pencil in there too. Now it makes sense. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 2:43:03 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 3:31:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I went with this cabinet to store stuff. I needed the tambour door so
it would not interfere with the bathroom door.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/tambour%20door.jpg

I really like the idea of the tambour door. I've only seen them
on roll top desks. It certainly would eliminate the annoyance of
doors banging against each other in your bathroom.

You spent money on a really nice cabinet just to hold bottle of body wash
and a roll of toilet paper?

Oh wait...there's a pencil in there too. Now it makes sense. ;-)

Go stand in the corner until you are told to come out.

I do like the hanging vanity cabinets as mentioned in this
thread as I've seen them on tv quite a bit. If I had
a LARGE bathroom they would certainly be a consideration.
But this is a small bathroom and storage is at a premium in
there so I opted for this vanity and wall cabinet which will
go over the toilet.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Deco...3022/100508063

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Deco...2428/100508084

Thanks all; some interesting and helpful comments!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Spent money? Don't be ridiculous. All of that wood was rescued from
construction dumpsters. I did buy the tambour track and the shelf
brackets but they were cheap.
That cabinet is pretty full right now. I was just checking the shelf
height when I took the picture
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 14:49:20 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

I went with this cabinet to store stuff. I needed the tambour door so
it would not interfere with the bathroom door.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/tambour%20door.jpg

I really like the idea of the tambour door. I've only seen them
on roll top desks. It certainly would eliminate the annoyance of
doors banging against each other in your bathroom.

I got the track at a woodworking site on the net, the fabric was some
old upholstery remnant we had when my wife bought some extra for chair
arm covers and the strips are 3/4" molding scraps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I only bring this up because I'd like to add a word of caution about
pedestal sinks:
They are a PITA to install and maintain. I'll admit that I like the
look of the pedestal sink that SWMBO picked out, but the lack of
access to the trap, the pop-up mechanism, the faucet, etc. makes me
hate the fact that we have one.

I have used pedestal sinks at several vacation rentals and I hate them.
There's no counter space to set a toothbrush, tube of toothpaste, shaving
cream, washcloth, etc. It's even worse when traveling with a toiletry bag,
and the specialty travel containers for toothbrushes and whatnot.

Yeah, they look nice, but that's all they've got going for them.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 12:20:08 AM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:
I only bring this up because I'd like to add a word of caution about
pedestal sinks:
They are a PITA to install and maintain. I'll admit that I like the
look of the pedestal sink that SWMBO picked out, but the lack of
access to the trap, the pop-up mechanism, the faucet, etc. makes me
hate the fact that we have one.

I have used pedestal sinks at several vacation rentals and I hate them.
There's no counter space to set a toothbrush, tube of toothpaste, shaving
cream, washcloth, etc. It's even worse when traveling with a toiletry bag,
and the specialty travel containers for toothbrushes and whatnot.

Yeah, they look nice, but that's all they've got going for them.

We have a antique (telephone?) table next to our pedestal sink for
toiletries, etc. When I redid the bathroom, I removed the inset medicine
chest and turned it into a niche with a mirror mounted on the back wall.

Kind of like this, but with 2 shelf table instead of the dresser and a
mirrored niche where the medicine chest is. The niche provides a small shelf
for few items directly above the sink. There's a bowl for SWMBO's jewelry,
a couple of small perfume bottles, etc.

http://images.meredith.com/bhg/image..._100199953.jpg

I've stayed at a few of those "old fashioned" hotels where they use
pedestal sinks and provide no table or counter for toiletries. I always
mention it to the front desk staff, who is often an owner. One lady
in Upstate NY took me to a back room where they were refinishing a bunch
of small tables and said "Come back next year, you'll be much happier."

We did and we were. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

We have a antique (telephone?) table next to our pedestal sink for
toiletries, etc.

That works, but then you've used twice the space that a simple vanity
cabinet would use.

I like the "look", I just don't like the functionality.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 11:09:10 AM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:
We have a antique (telephone?) table next to our pedestal sink for
toiletries, etc.

That works, but then you've used twice the space that a simple vanity
cabinet would use.

Yes and no. In my case, the layout of the (smallish) bathroom is such
that a vanity with a centered sink left some wasted space to the left
of the sink. The pedestal sink and table fill the space nicely and the
garbage can fits nicely under the table, out of the way, but easily
accessible.

We considered a vanity (which was there originally) but if we did that
we would have extended the top off to the left and put the garbage can
under it. In the end, the pedestal sink and spindle legged table made
for much more open feel, even though there is actually an extra piece
of furniture in the room.

I should add that it's mainly SWMBO's bathroom, so I'm not impacted by
the counter space situation. ;-) I have my own bathroom with a wall mounted
sink and a table of it's own. I also don't have nearly the amount of "stuff"
that SWMBO has, so I don't need a vanity anyway.

I like the "look", I just don't like the functionality.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/21/16 5:30 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

In about 2 weeks there will be a bathroom remodel done here
at my house. One of the replacements will be a new vanity and
I'd like some opinions, please.

I'm looking at traditional vanities with the toe-kick and
also vanities that are resting on feet about 3½ inches tall.
Anybody have a vanity with the short little feet and how do
you like it? I've always been used to the toe-kick type but
am open to newer models if I can get a few opinions. Good or
bad, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this type of cabinet.

Yes, I realize one sitting on feet will be a dust bunny
haven but I'd still like your thoughts.

Pretend the Gideons are coming. People need reading material at
certain times. Smart phones drown.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/21/2016 4:30 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

In about 2 weeks there will be a bathroom remodel done here
at my house. One of the replacements will be a new vanity and
I'd like some opinions, please.

I'm looking at traditional vanities with the toe-kick and
also vanities that are resting on feet about 3½ inches tall.
Anybody have a vanity with the short little feet and how do
you like it? I've always been used to the toe-kick type but
am open to newer models if I can get a few opinions. Good or
bad, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this type of cabinet.

Yes, I realize one sitting on feet will be a dust bunny
haven but I'd still like your thoughts.

lotta really fat peeple on electric scooters these days so maybe make the sink area scooter access an add a 42" entry door. woodnt want a big
fat guy to drop a load of Ready-Mix on your living room carpet, wood ya?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 7:31:56 PM UTC-5, Jimmy Townsend wrote:

On 8/21/2016 4:30 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

In about 2 weeks there will be a bathroom remodel done here
at my house. One of the replacements will be a new vanity and
I'd like some opinions, please.

lotta really fat peeple on electric scooters these days so maybe make the sink area scooter access an add a 42" entry door. woodnt want a big
fat guy to drop a load of Ready-Mix on your living room carpet, wood ya?

Not sure what an electric scooter has to do with my bathroom
vanity or storage cabinet. There's no electric scooters in
my house, don't know how they'd get up the steps, but there's
also no big fat guy here. Or are just wanting to be funny and
actually not contribute anything to the thread like Dean
Hoffman thought he was?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/16 4:07 AM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 7:31:56 PM UTC-5, Jimmy Townsend wrote:

On 8/21/2016 4:30 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

In about 2 weeks there will be a bathroom remodel done here
at my house. One of the replacements will be a new vanity and
I'd like some opinions, please.

lotta really fat peeple on electric scooters these days so maybe make the sink area scooter access an add a 42" entry door. woodnt want a big
fat guy to drop a load of Ready-Mix on your living room carpet, wood ya?

Not sure what an electric scooter has to do with my bathroom
vanity or storage cabinet. There's no electric scooters in
my house, don't know how they'd get up the steps, but there's
also no big fat guy here. Or are just wanting to be funny and
actually not contribute anything to the thread like Dean
Hoffman thought he was?

I actually do have a Bible on my bathroom vanity. I know I'll
take a couple minutes
at least to read a bit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 6:44:59 AM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

Is this you? ;-)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cart...lyn962_low.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 8:07:08 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/21/16 5:30 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

In about 2 weeks there will be a bathroom remodel done here
at my house. One of the replacements will be a new vanity and
I'd like some opinions, please.

I'm looking at traditional vanities with the toe-kick and
also vanities that are resting on feet about 3½ inches tall.
Anybody have a vanity with the short little feet and how do
you like it? I've always been used to the toe-kick type but
am open to newer models if I can get a few opinions. Good or
bad, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this type of cabinet.

Yes, I realize one sitting on feet will be a dust bunny
haven but I'd still like your thoughts.

Pretend the Gideons are coming. People need reading material at
certain times. Smart phones drown.

I keep my reading material on the top of the toilet tank.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 2:18:00 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

I used to take a newspaper(remember those) or a paperback book when I went for a porcelain throne session. Now I take either my 10.1" Android or 7" Amazon Fire tablet. Technology marches on. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Toilet Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2016 6:44 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I actually do have a Bible on my bathroom vanity. I know I'll
take a couple minutes
at least to read a bit.

Reader's Digest and Bathroom Reader
http://www.bathroomreader.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 3:31:14 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

For some reason, I'm not that fond of taking my tablet into the bathroom.

There's something about "Old House Journal" that gets the job done.
Of course, I'm beginning to fear that if I went on an old hour tour, I'd
soil myself by looking at the woodwork.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski explained on 8/24/2016 :
On 8/24/2016 6:44 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I actually do have a Bible on my bathroom vanity. I know I'll
take a couple minutes
at least to read a bit.

Reader's Digest and Bathroom Reader
http://www.bathroomreader.com/

I have one of Uncle John's Bathroom Readers, good stuff but not 100%
accurate. Pretty close though I'd say.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I actually do have a Bible on my bathroom vanity. I know I'll
take a couple minutes at least to read a bit.

Is this you? ;-)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cart...lyn962_low.jpg

That's good. The best I can do is swirl the waters thanks to
engineers.

NEW BATHROOM VANITY jimmy Home Repair 5 October 25th 10 04:47 PM
Has anyone tried the new Porter Cable 371K portable belt sander? Likes/dislikes? Chrisgiraffe Woodworking 1 December 19th 06 07:16 PM
Bathroom Vanity - Done! Teamcasa Woodworking 7 April 20th 06 04:30 PM
Question about bathroom vanity [email protected] Woodworking 10 January 17th 06 02:43 PM
Bathroom Vanity Rob V Woodworking 0 June 10th 05 05:26 PM