Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning an undermounted sink?

We have a Marble counter with an under-mounted sink in our upstairs bathroom. There is a small gap where the sink attaches to the countertop and there is a reddish stain on the top of the sink that is visible in that gap. I think it was something my daughter was using. It's a mystery.

I tried using a toothbrush and comet but it didn't come off.

I know the marble etches easily but since this is the underside I can use something stronger as long as I'm careful not to splash it up on top of the marble.

Are there any other cleaning products you would recommend to try and get some of that gunk off?

I know as a last resort I can disconnect the sink and pull it out and clean it but would really like to avoid having to do that.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 7:37:32 AM UTC-4, wrote:
We have a Marble counter with an under-mounted sink in our upstairs bathroom. There is a small gap where the sink attaches to the countertop and there is a reddish stain on the top of the sink that is visible in that gap. I think it was something my daughter was using. It's a mystery.

I tried using a toothbrush and comet but it didn't come off.

I know the marble etches easily but since this is the underside I can use something stronger as long as I'm careful not to splash it up on top of the marble.

Are there any other cleaning products you would recommend to try and get some of that gunk off?

I know as a last resort I can disconnect the sink and pull it out and clean it but would really like to avoid having to do that.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I'd try bleach, right out of the bottle. Apply it and let it sit for
15 mins. Works for me on my counter stains.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 8:55:47 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 7:37:32 AM UTC-4, wrote:
We have a Marble counter with an under-mounted sink in our upstairs bathroom.

My go-to is Oxyclean for my sink stains.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

We have a Marble counter with an under-mounted sink in our upstairs
bathroom. There is a small gap where the sink attaches to the countertop
and there is a reddish stain on the top of the sink that is visible in that
gap.

It sounds to me like one of two things:
Rust in the water or fungal growth. For
the latter you can try bleach. If that doesn't
work then one of those mineral deposit
cleaners might do it. I think Dep makes
a good one, though I lose track of which
product works and which doesn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
We have a Marble counter with an under-mounted sink in our upstairs
bathroom. There is a small gap where the sink attaches to the countertop
and there is a reddish stain on the top of the sink that is visible in that
gap. I think it was something my daughter was using. It's a mystery.

I tried using a toothbrush and comet but it didn't come off.

I know the marble etches easily but since this is the underside I can use
something stronger as long as I'm careful not to splash it up on top of the
marble.

Are there any other cleaning products you would recommend to try and get
some of that gunk off?

First of all, it is highly unlikely that the sink is marble; most likely it
is faux marble made of polyester resin or china. Does it look like marble
or is it china?

I also kind of doubt that your daughter is culpable; about all the gals use
that is reddish is lipstick and rouge and she would have to intend to put
those there. On the off chance that is what it is, any grease solvent like
paint thinner should dissolve it.

Most likely it is rust from iron rich water that has been repeatedly
splashed there and then evaporates. If that is the case, rust removers like
CLR should work.

If those don't work, you could physically abrade it - marble or faux marble
or china - but you'd have to use something more abrasive than Comet...fine,
powdered pumice made into a paste would work, so would fine wet or dry
paper. If you have to abrade it, the surace gloss will be removed. It
could be repolished with a Dremel type tool equipped with a small cloth
wheel charfed with a polishing compound. If china, it would be much more
difficult to re-polish unless the material used to abrade was quite fine

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 11:14:22 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
wrote in message
We have a Marble counter with an under-mounted sink in our upstairs
bathroom. There is a small gap where the sink attaches to the countertop
and there is a reddish stain on the top of the sink that is visible in that
gap. I think it was something my daughter was using. It's a mystery.

I tried using a toothbrush and comet but it didn't come off.

I know the marble etches easily but since this is the underside I can use
something stronger as long as I'm careful not to splash it up on top of the
marble.

Are there any other cleaning products you would recommend to try and get
some of that gunk off?

First of all, it is highly unlikely that the sink is marble; most likely it
is faux marble made of polyester resin or china. Does it look like marble
or is it china?

I'm pretty sure that he didn't mean to imply that the *sink* was marble.
He mentioned marble because he is concerned with damaging the counter top
material. In fact, he is not even worried about damaging the underside of
the counter, only the top.

"I know the marble etches easily but since this is the underside I can use
something stronger as long as I'm careful not to splash it up on top of the
marble."

He wants to clean the top of the sink lip, which may mean "cleaning" the
underside of the marble counter simply due to it's physical proximity to
the sink.

....other good suggestions snipped...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
We have a Marble counter with an under-mounted sink in our upstairs
bathroom. There is a small gap where the sink attaches to the countertop
and there is a reddish stain on the top of the sink that is visible in that
gap. I think it was something my daughter was using. It's a mystery.

I tried using a toothbrush and comet but it didn't come off.

I know the marble etches easily but since this is the underside I can use
something stronger as long as I'm careful not to splash it up on top of the
marble.

Are there any other cleaning products you would recommend to try and get
some of that gunk off?

First of all, it is highly unlikely that the sink is marble; most likely it
is faux marble made of polyester resin or china. Does it look like marble
or is it china?

She said the counter is marble, not the sink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, I understood, just covering all bases

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Oh sure, throw in another variable. We don't know what the base
is made from. ;-)