Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Cleaning an undermounted sink?

On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 11:14:22 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
wrote in message
We have a Marble counter with an under-mounted sink in our upstairs
bathroom. There is a small gap where the sink attaches to the countertop
and there is a reddish stain on the top of the sink that is visible in that
gap. I think it was something my daughter was using. It's a mystery.

I tried using a toothbrush and comet but it didn't come off.

I know the marble etches easily but since this is the underside I can use
something stronger as long as I'm careful not to splash it up on top of the
marble.

Are there any other cleaning products you would recommend to try and get
some of that gunk off?

First of all, it is highly unlikely that the sink is marble; most likely it
is faux marble made of polyester resin or china. Does it look like marble
or is it china?

I'm pretty sure that he didn't mean to imply that the *sink* was marble.
He mentioned marble because he is concerned with damaging the counter top
material. In fact, he is not even worried about damaging the underside of
the counter, only the top.

"I know the marble etches easily but since this is the underside I can use
something stronger as long as I'm careful not to splash it up on top of the
marble."

He wants to clean the top of the sink lip, which may mean "cleaning" the
underside of the marble counter simply due to it's physical proximity to
the sink.

....other good suggestions snipped...