Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Multi-Ladder

My new house has a chandelier over the stairs with a couple of burned out bulbs so I now have a need for a multi-ladder. I see that Harbor Freight has a 17' one for $115 so I'm interested in hearing if anyone bought a similar ladder and how it worked out for them.

I wonder about the quality of tools at Harbor Freight but I presume I'd only need to use this ladder a couple times a year, nevertheless, I'll buy something else if the joints failed after a few years for someone else. For example, Home Depot has the Werner 17' multi-ladder for $139.
Bob Simon
New Orleans
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 7:37:20 AM UTC-4, Bob Simon wrote:
My new house has a chandelier over the stairs with a couple of burned out bulbs so I now have a need for a multi-ladder. I see that Harbor Freight has a 17' one for $115 so I'm interested in hearing if anyone bought a similar ladder and how it worked out for them.

I wonder about the quality of tools at Harbor Freight but I presume I'd only need to use this ladder a couple times a year, nevertheless, I'll buy something else if the joints failed after a few years for someone else. For example, Home Depot has the Werner 17' multi-ladder for $139.
Bob Simon
New Orleans

werner made in china.

replace all bulbs with led ones to minimize future service.

i had a customer who hated climbing so he had his fixture motorized, one switch lowers it to ground level, for easy cleaning and bulb replacement.......

he had a photo of his set up on his office wall
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 7:37:20 AM UTC-4, Bob Simon wrote:
My new house has a chandelier over the stairs with a couple of burned out bulbs so I now have a need for a multi-ladder. I see that Harbor Freight has a 17' one for $115 so I'm interested in hearing if anyone bought a similar ladder and how it worked out for them.

I wonder about the quality of tools at Harbor Freight but I presume I'd only need to use this ladder a couple times a year, nevertheless, I'll buy something else if the joints failed after a few years for someone else. For example, Home Depot has the Werner 17' multi-ladder for $139.
Bob Simon
New Orleans

Have you considered looking on Craigslist, OfferUp or eBay?

Are you really in New Orleans?

https://neworleans.craigslist.org/tls/5722283436.html

I bought a $150 Werner step ladder for $60 on eBay. My son just bought
a multi-ladder for $35 on OfferUp. I think it was a 12' model.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 04:37:14 -0700 (PDT), Bob Simon
wrote:

My new house has a chandelier over the stairs with a couple of burned out bulbs so I now have a need for a multi-ladder. I see that Harbor Freight has a 17' one for $115 so I'm interested in hearing if anyone bought a similar ladder and how it worked out for them.

I wonder about the quality of tools at Harbor Freight but I presume I'd only need to use this ladder a couple times a year, nevertheless, I'll buy something else if the joints failed after a few years for someone else. For example, Home Depot has the Werner 17' multi-ladder for $139.
Bob Simon
New Orleans

Keep in mind the multi ladders are pretty heavy. I had a heavy duty
20 foot multi-ladder for about 15 years and traded it straight up for
my neighbors cheap 20 foot extension ladder.
It was just a hassle to use, especially as I got older.
Have you looked into the stick bulb-changers?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My Little Giant multi ladder was gifted to me. About 19 foot
extended. Sure is heavy, ~ 85 lbs, welded aircraft quality AL. Flared
legs for stability -- with a leg extension attachment.

Gave my neighbor an EXT ladder from previous owner leaving.

OP:

- borrow a ladder from next door in a similar situation.

- rent a multi ladder for a day.

I have a love / hate relationship with ladders. Need to send a young
ladder monkey up there

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

+1 on the weight. And that's one thing I'd carefully evaluate with
the HF one. The Little Giants are heavy for a reason and that leads
to them being very sturdy and stable. How stable will the HF one be?
How comfortable are you on a ladder it it shakes a bit?

As Bob pointed out, if there is an attic above the chandelier, you
can put in a hoist. I have one, works with a wireless remote.
It only cost me a few hundred bucks, well worth it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I can see the fixture itself coming down, but what about the wires? Does
the fixture "disconnect" or do the wires coil around the hoist along with
the hoist cable?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I agree. I have not been able to handle my big aluminum extension
ladder for several years now. A shorter one, about 20 ft, I can use in
inside hallway. I can still easily lift over 100 lbs but extended,
forget it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It disconnects by itself at the hoist.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

Keep in mind the multi ladders are pretty heavy. I had a heavy duty
20 foot multi-ladder for about 15 years and traded it straight up for
my neighbors cheap 20 foot extension ladder.
It was just a hassle to use, especially as I got older.
Have you looked into the stick bulb-changers?

I have one of those ladders (aluminum,heavy, and hard to move). I have
used it to get on the roof, but mainly it's kept in one place (storage
closet off garage) for attic access. I use a lighter ladder for most things.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The world holds two classes of men -- intelligent men without religion,
and religious men without intelligence." -- Abu'l-Ala-Al-Ma'arri
(973-1057; Syrian poet)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

So I assume you need to modify the existing fixture to install some
kind of "disconnect" mechanism.

How much does it alter the appearance of the fixture? Does the disconnect
go up into the ceiling so that it is completely hidden? Is the disconnect
universal and/or adaptable to different types of fixtures?

Details, my friend, details. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 09:19:00 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I can see the fixture itself coming down, but what about the wires? Does
the fixture "disconnect" or do the wires coil around the hoist along with
the hoist cable?

Some light fixtures over a dinner table could be pulled down, power
wires were not involved, in the 60 era.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I can see the fixture itself coming down, but what about the wires? Does
the fixture "disconnect" or do the wires coil around the hoist along with
the hoist cable?

Some light fixtures over a dinner table could be pulled down, power
wires were not involved, in the 60 era.

Really? Did they have wireless power back then? ;-)

Actually, the wires coiled up inside the "ball" in the center of the cord...

http://photo.foter.com/photos/pi/329...tage-model.jpg

or were coiled like a spring...

http://photo.foter.com/photos/pi/329...t-if-i-did.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No modification necessary.

How much does it alter the appearance of the fixture? Does the disconnect
go up into the ceiling so that it is completely hidden? Is the disconnect
universal and/or adaptable to different types of fixtures?

Details, my friend, details. ;-)

The disconnect is part of the hoist. Go to Ebay, item:

232041275408

They show how it works. It should work with almost any fixture and
it's hidden. In my case it worked with the normal escutcheon, plate
whatever you call it that came with the fixture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I had looked at that item on eBay earlier, but all the images except
for the main three are blocked by my corporate network. I'll have to
look again at home.

The size of the unit in the images I can see looks much bigger than any
escutcheon plate, but I assume that that part is hidden above the ceiling.

Anyway, thanks for the pointer. It's for a friend who has to set up this
really unsafe ladder-loft-plank rig to get to his foyer fixture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The unit goes in on *top* of the ceiling joists in the attic, ie well
above the ceiling. The unfinished hole in the ceiling only needs to
be large enough to clear that red, round puck on the end of the cable,
which is maybe 4" in diameter. Basically if there is an electric box
there, when you pull it out from the attic, the hole you're left
with is about the right size.
The fixture gets hung from and wired to the puck, with the cover plate
fastened at the correct distance below it so that when the hoist is
fully up, the puck seats in the hoist, with the plate just snug to the
ceiling. You have to adjust it a few times, by trial and error, to get
it right, starting with the plate a little lower. So, you bring it up,
see where the plate winds up below the ceiling, then lower it, adjust
the plate up a bit and repeat.

Anyway, thanks for the pointer. It's for a friend who has to set up this
really unsafe ladder-loft-plank rig to get to his foyer fixture.

It really is easy to put in, assuming you have access from the attic
and power nearby. And pretty cool to work with the remote. Better
than the wall mounted key switch kind. Only problem I has was it
comes from China and when it arrived, the wireless remote was cracked
and had a corner missing. You'd think that would be easy to resolve,
but I never got one. First, they wanted the old one back. Then they
kept saying a new one was being sent, but I never got it. Finally
I just forgot about it. Functionally it works fine and no one sees
the remote. But it's one of those annoying things. You'd think on
a $350 thing, they would just send you a new remote that probably
costs them $2, if that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Vic Smith typed:
wrote:

My new house has a chandelier over the stairs with a couple of
burned out bulbs so I now have a need for a multi-ladder. I see
that Harbor Freight has a 17' one for $115 so I'm interested in
hearing if anyone bought a similar ladder and how it worked out for
them.

I wonder about the quality of tools at Harbor Freight but I presume
I'd only need to use this ladder a couple times a year,
nevertheless, I'll buy something else if the joints failed after a
few years for someone else. For example, Home Depot has the Werner
17' multi-ladder for $139. Bob Simon
New Orleans

Keep in mind the multi ladders are pretty heavy. I had a heavy duty
20 foot multi-ladder for about 15 years and traded it straight up for
my neighbors cheap 20 foot extension ladder.
It was just a hassle to use, especially as I got older.

I agree about the weight. What a pain. I have two of them, one is the
original Little Giant and it was a gift to me. I forget the size, but it's
not the largest version. I also went out and bought the similar version
multi-ladder at Home Depot -- Werner, I guess -- and I think it's the 17
foot (when extended) version.

When I watch the Little Giant commercials I always laugh because it shows a
woman just carrying it around like it is nothing. It ain't nothing -- it
weighs a ton according to my estimate. Okay, yes, that's an exaggeration,
but for me using either ladder (especially the larger one) is almost always
a 2-person job. If I really have to, I can use it and set it up myself, but
it is a struggle. I have noticed that the newer Little Giant commercials
are pushing a newer model that is supposed to be lighter and also has wheels
for "easy moving", etc.

The good news for me regarding my two multi-ladders is that I have a good
friend and contractor who also happens to be a tenant in one of my
properties. So, I just let him keep and use both ladders. That way, the
ladders are available to me if needed, and in most cases, I use him to do
the work anyway so he just brings the ladders and he either does the job on
his own or we work together. He is not very tall but he is strong and can
lift, use, move, and set up either ladder completely on his own. Since he
did construction all of his life, he knows how to do that and makes it work.

I am only providing all of these boring details to convey that, yes, those
multi-ladders (Little Giant, etc) are really heavy and hard to use.

But, it is also true that both ladders that I have are solid as a rock when
they are set up due to the way that they are designed. I don't like going
up on ladders, but when set up, these two ladders are fine for me. I do
feel safe being on either one because they are so stable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I can see the fixture itself coming down, but what about the wires? Does
the fixture "disconnect" or do the wires coil around the hoist along with
the hoist cable?

Some light fixtures over a dinner table could be pulled down, power
wires were not involved, in the 60 era.

Really? Did they have wireless power back then? ;-)

Actually, the wires coiled up inside the "ball" in the center of the cord...

http://photo.foter.com/photos/pi/329...tage-model.jpg

or were coiled like a spring...

http://photo.foter.com/photos/pi/329...t-if-i-did.jpg

We had one that pulled down, but we only had 8 foot ceilings in the
first place, and it sagged a little, so one time I barely jumped up
when I was running and I hit my head and knocked a 2" hole in the
chimney.

I was fine, however, thank you for asking.